Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1973 Irish Green 2.0... Edit: "The Outed" Green Teen..., Anyone in NC have a chance to check this one out?
Ferg
post Aug 23 2007, 09:02 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

George will know, but that's zambezi, hard for photo's to come out right.

Ferg

ps, still no call back on asking price... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 23 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(914rrr @ Aug 22 2007, 07:55 PM) *

Ok, I have a plan.

I buy the car, have the FBI procecute them for internet fraud (free of charge, of course), they lose, pay me back the purchase price AND I get to keep it!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Seriously, though, why would they represent a car as a low mileage original with sooooo many things wrong, incorrect , etc. with it? Were the fan shroud and brain box painted? They could have at least bought/faked the proper colored vaccum hoses!

you are good! We painted the shroud back then because we had no one to cad a metal piece that large. If we had the car back we could these days do a lot more to make it more perfect. Have them read the label above the relay board. It will clearly say that the original engine was a 1.8
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 23 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

QUOTE(pfierb @ Aug 23 2007, 05:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 22 2007, 07:04 PM) *

I think that's Zambezi green, Irish ended in 72 IIRC

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) on the car either way. If you do go see, I'd love to hear about it.

Ferg

That isn't Zambezi green much to bright...My 73 is Zambezi green and it is a much darker shade of green.

The car did have all of the original paint except for one fender the hood and the cowl. Something scratched them years ago and broke the windshield and WE repainted them. All of the engine sheetmetal was painted and of course we have new valve adjustment stickers for the tin. As previously commented the vacuum lines are not the right colors and that is because the proper colors are no longer available.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 23 2007, 09:22 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

QUOTE(swl @ Aug 22 2007, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 22 2007, 03:54 PM) *
Paul really, any of us old 914 guys can spot that car as a total fake.

Gotta disagree with you there George. I doubt that there are more than a handful of people that have seen enough different 914's to spot one bolt that gives it away as an engine transplant. The only visual clue that I know of between a 73 and a 74 is the bumpers and with the replacement we couldn't pick up on that either.

What's up with that 'VIN' - is that a chassis number.

edit: I was going to suggest that event the dealer could have been fooled by this car but I guess if he looked at the vin or the title he would know. Might not be able to spot the engine swap though.

I was just thinking that from my observance of all of the comments on this site that there are some real experts here when it comes to spotting a fraud, I dare say at least as good as I am! (no kudos here for me just 33 years of looking at them every day!!!!!!!!!!!)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 23 2007, 09:25 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

QUOTE(levonfarra @ Aug 22 2007, 06:04 PM) *

73 had metal sills. 74 had black plastic.

good. But actually the jan 73 up cars had black plastic
+Quote Post
73Phoenix20
post Aug 23 2007, 09:41 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 4,283

He, He!!!

I love you guys! Another Myth Is BUSTED!!! 3,700 miles, My A**!!!

I stopped looking for "falsification clues" after I picked out the screwed up Serial Number, Speakers, the Blue Coil, and the incorrect Vacuum Lines...

George got me on the Charcoal cannister stud... Good One!

I just can't believe these Sellers would dump their reputation trying to sell a faked up 914!!! They have some decent Porsches on their lot, and now I wouldn't touch any of them for fear that they are "tarted up" to say the least!

And the real humdinger is that they claim to know Porsches, and conveniently hid all of the true 'telltales" ( the door jamb VIN Sticker, the Passenger fender tag, the 1.8 engine sticker, etc, etc) from the photos... Yes, I think there is a very good chance you could buy the car, and sue for gross and deliberate misrepresentation of the vehicle, especially if you paid them and had them ship the car to you! Of course, NC law may be iffy on such a situation... lets hear from our Legal Beagles out there! Who wants to try getting a free 914??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 23 2007, 09:41 AM
Post #27

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

could be the picture but i don't think that is L60E. maybe willow? i've got a white 72' that was originally irish green. i've seen a number of L60E cars painted white, red, BLACK (wtf). irish green is one of my fav colors on a 914. with nice chrome bumpers and bright trim it's stunning.

what a stupid ad. no price.

k
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 23 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

George, what color is it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I have no doubt it's Zambezi, but clear it up for us.

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html

And let's not jump all over the seller yet. They could be totally in the dark. It could be a recent trade in, and to a Porsche guy, (not specifically a 914 guy) it's not THAT obvious that the car is a dupe.

Let's wait and see if they correct the ad, if they don't THEN let's jump all over them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Ferg
+Quote Post
73Phoenix20
post Aug 23 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #29

Ummmm... I think most any dealer that claims to know Porsches, would be able to decipher the door jamb VIN Sticker, and see that this is a 1974 914, which the sellers conveniently left out of the photos... Unless someone conveniently "Peeled" that sticker and maybe switched in one of the newer ones??? But in any case, the actual VIN tag should not have changed... or did it?

Nope, I think we got ourselves a Genuine, bonafied "Ringer" here!!!

And, unfortunately, there are some folks out there that would not have a clue as to the details, and would be most disappointed when the took their VERY expensive beauty to a Porsche show and got greatly embarrassed!
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Aug 23 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #30

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Curious, most sellers of a 3700 mile car would have a pic of the speedo, showing the odometer display of the miles?? I don't see it.
Oh well.
CCL
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 23 2007, 10:19 AM
Post #31

914 Guru

playing devils advocate, but it could very easy say 12/73 or such on the door jamb sticker, and throw off the dealer.

Who knows what line of bull he got from the person he got the car from, or maybe it's there on consignment and he's just listing it with the info he was given... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Still a nice car. I'd pay 10k for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ferg
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
Post #32

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

seriously? ha!

k
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Post #33

914 Guru

it is certainly Zambezi green the original factory paint was in great shape except for the parts we painted and there was a peck with a touched up chip just below the sail panel.

The point here about the seller is if he HONESTLY does not know that this car is obviously not a 3700 mile car, then how can we trust him to know anything about the other Porsches he is selling!!!! That would mean he is at least naive, and if so could never trust his descriptions (which in his naive mind are accurate!!) I always give one the benefit of the doubt, so we can assume that this guy just does not know Porsches at all.

QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 23 2007, 08:50 AM) *

George, what color is it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I have no doubt it's Zambezi, but clear it up for us.

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html

And let's not jump all over the seller yet. They could be totally in the dark. It could be a recent trade in, and to a Porsche guy, (not specifically a 914 guy) it's not THAT obvious that the car is a dupe.

Let's wait and see if they correct the ad, if they don't THEN let's jump all over them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Ferg

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 23 2007, 10:22 AM
Post #34

914 Guru

QUOTE(boxstr @ Aug 23 2007, 09:14 AM) *

Curious, most sellers of a 3700 mile car would have a pic of the speedo, showing the odometer display of the miles?? I don't see it.
Oh well.
CCL

The three instruments we replaced with new and I am sure that he read the miles from the new instrument. I am still curious as to how much he wants for the car.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 23 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 23 2007, 09:19 AM) *

playing devils advocate, but it could very easy say 12/73 or such on the door jamb sticker, and throw off the dealer.

Who knows what line of bull he got from the person he got the car from, or maybe it's there on consignment and he's just listing it with the info he was given... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Still a nice car. I'd pay 10k for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ferg

I would even pay more. It WAS when we had it really a nice car. Too bad someone butched the speaker covers over those brand new factory grilles we bought and installed! Reminds me of the time somone took my concours tangerine (blood orange) 914-6 that they had just purchased from me for 35,000 (back in 1991) and cut the brand new factory LOOP rocker carpet that I had installed, to install a roll bar!!!!!!
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 23 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #36

914 Guru

George, any pics from when you had it and did the work?

I plan on calling again today, about price. I have a feeling it will be in the 20's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

If I do talk to someone, I'll nicely inform them of the errors, and direct them here to defend themselves.

Ferg
+Quote Post
73Phoenix20
post Aug 23 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #37

Okay, I will take George's point (well made!) and assume that the seller is just naive about Porsches, and especially naive about 914's...

Until proven otherwise!

BUT, that said, we sure don't get any "Warm and Fuzzy's" from such a dealer!!!

Now, on to the next "Fun" item with this car! A Pool for guessing the current asking price!

Of course, once Ferg tips him off, the game changes, but I will place my money on $35,000.00, knowing that the seller is usually VERY proud of his Porsches!!!

Of course, once the jig is up, I would have to assume that the price will drop dramatically, and I would not be surprised to see the car pulled, and sent packing, prolly back to it's former owner, with legal papers attached!

But, for now, let's all toss our bids in the hat, and see who is closest...
And for the winner, dinner with George at the Buckhead restaurant of his choice!

Now we just have to figure out how to collect the pot! ;>))

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 23 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #38

914 Guru

QUOTE(Ferg @ Aug 23 2007, 09:29 AM) *

George, any pics from when you had it and did the work?

I plan on calling again today, about price. I have a feeling it will be in the 20's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

If I do talk to someone, I'll nicely inform them of the errors, and direct them here to defend themselves.

Ferg

we have many pics of the car completed. They look fabulous of course with that green finish!
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 23 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #39

914 Guru

excellent idea! BONES is my choice. Bourbon before, one of those 85 dollar steaks, and big cigars afterwards!

QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Aug 23 2007, 10:10 AM) *

Okay, I will take George's point (well made!) and assume that the seller is just naive about Porsches, and especially naive about 914's...

Until proven otherwise!

BUT, that said, we sure don't get any "Warm and Fuzzy's" from such a dealer!!!

Now, on to the next "Fun" item with this car! A Pool for guessing the current asking price!

Of course, once Ferg tips him off, the game changes, but I will place my money on $35,000.00, knowing that the seller is usually VERY proud of his Porsches!!!

Of course, once the jig is up, I would have to assume that the price will drop dramatically, and I would not be surprised to see the car pulled, and sent packing, prolly back to it's former owner, with legal papers attached!

But, for now, let's all toss our bids in the hat, and see who is closest...
And for the winner, dinner with George at the Buckhead restaurant of his choice!

Now we just have to figure out how to collect the pot! ;>))
+Quote Post
73Phoenix20
post Aug 23 2007, 01:37 PM
Post #40

Bones, it is! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Geo. A. Dickel Special Reserve, Neat...

Porterhouse, Rare... w/ sauteed Vidalia's and Morel mushrooms

Baked Potato w/ Cavier and Sour Cream, Chives ...

Fresh Peach Cobbler w/ real whipped cream...

Cohiba's all around... (I suppose I will have to break into my stock for those!)

More Geo. A. Dickel (BTW, what was Geo. Dickel's Wife's first name??? Yes, it has something to do with the great State of Georgia...)

Oh, hell, I'll pay my own way! Let's see... if I fire up the SC right now, I can be sitting in Atlanta by... well, 10:30, but that's a bit late for Dinner...

Let's see who else chooses to venture a guess! ;>))
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 10:38 AM