Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting close to my first Porsche
JOE M
post Aug 29 2007, 09:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,042
Region Association: None

I just got a call from a guy who is selling a 72` 914 for 2k. I looke at it a few weeks ago and overall it looks good. I offered him 1,800 and he aggreed. Now I have to take a real close look at it and make sure there is nothing terribly wrong. He said the last owner did a lot of work but was sick and sold it to him. So far it sounds like I should check the floor bd`s, the targa top off and close the passenger window( check for frame sag). It has a 1.7 with redline carbs. The exhaust is a little loud but does not appear to have a leak. Man i`m excited and hopefull to be a porsche 914 owner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) any suggetstions prior to buying. I am bringing my brother in law who is a mechanic as a second set of eyes just in case I have blinders on.
Thanks in advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Allan
post Aug 29 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #2

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

See if you can get the rocker panels off as well so you can see the jack points and longs.

Iffin ya buy it, stop on the way home and pick up some jack stands... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Aug 29 2007, 09:25 AM
Post #3

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

If you have not already seen it, you should commit to memory the 914 buyer's guide at Pelican Parts:

Pelican's guide on buying a 914

Good luck!!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 29 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

take a floor jack and a scratch awl/icepick/long screwdriver with you so you can get under the car and have a HARD look at suspect areas. poke the hell out of it. while a 2k 914 might appear to be a great deal, it could be a 2k parts car waiting to be transformed into a kia.

k
+Quote Post
JOE M
post Aug 29 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,042

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 29 2007, 07:31 AM) *

take a floor jack and a scratch awl/icepick/long screwdriver with you so you can get under the car and have a HARD look at suspect areas. poke the hell out of it. while a 2k 914 might appear to be a great deal, it could be a 2k parts car waiting to be transformed into a kia.

k

I have a 5 inch screwdriver in my left hand and an ice pick in my right. Hope he does not think I`m there to kill him. Souns like a scene out of Good Fellas.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:54 AM