Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting close to my first Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
I just got a call from a guy who is selling a 72` 914 for 2k. I looke at it a few weeks ago and overall it looks good. I offered him 1,800 and he aggreed. Now I have to take a real close look at it and make sure there is nothing terribly wrong. He said the last owner did a lot of work but was sick and sold it to him. So far it sounds like I should check the floor bd`s, the targa top off and close the passenger window( check for frame sag). It has a 1.7 with redline carbs. The exhaust is a little loud but does not appear to have a leak. Man i`m excited and hopefull to be a porsche 914 owner. piratenanner.gif any suggetstions prior to buying. I am bringing my brother in law who is a mechanic as a second set of eyes just in case I have blinders on.
Thanks in advance.
Allan
See if you can get the rocker panels off as well so you can see the jack points and longs.

Iffin ya buy it, stop on the way home and pick up some jack stands... biggrin.gif

welcome.png
mudfoot76
If you have not already seen it, you should commit to memory the 914 buyer's guide at Pelican Parts:

Pelican's guide on buying a 914

Good luck!!
rhodyguy
take a floor jack and a scratch awl/icepick/long screwdriver with you so you can get under the car and have a HARD look at suspect areas. poke the hell out of it. while a 2k 914 might appear to be a great deal, it could be a 2k parts car waiting to be transformed into a kia.

k
JOE M
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 29 2007, 07:31 AM) *

take a floor jack and a scratch awl/icepick/long screwdriver with you so you can get under the car and have a HARD look at suspect areas. poke the hell out of it. while a 2k 914 might appear to be a great deal, it could be a 2k parts car waiting to be transformed into a kia.

k

I have a 5 inch screwdriver in my left hand and an ice pick in my right. Hope he does not think I`m there to kill him. Souns like a scene out of Good Fellas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.