Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Part Lost Between Engine Tin And Heads, Any advise as to how I can remedy problem?
kfieler
post Aug 29 2007, 11:32 AM
Post #1

kfieler

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,949

Attached Image

When performing a tune-up on my 914 1.7, a plug wire for my #2 cylinder came apart. The “bakelite” connector from the end of the plug wire is now “lost” somewhere between the heads and the tin. I’ve tried fishing-around with every method I can think of to retrieve the lost connector, but have had no luck. Interestingly enough, I fished-around using a telescoping magnet and found a loose sparkplug that had been floating-around in there for god knows how long (left by a PO), but I can’t see, feel or retrieve the bakelite connector.

Is there some magic trick I can use to locate and retrieve the lost sparkplug connector?

If I can’t retrieve it, am I going to ruin anything by replacing the plug wires, running the engine and leaving the lost bakelite connector and rubber seal floating-around under the tin?

Please help!

Thanks!

- Keith (newbie)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davep
post Aug 29 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

My suggestion is to drop the engine + tranny as a package and remove the tin. Who knows what other crap is in there blocking the airflow and preventing proper head and cylinder cooling. You have to do this on occasion, say every 10 to 15 years, and this might be the correct time to do it. You may not even have to remove the exhaust, but then have to remove the drive shafts. Servicing them is also very important since they are very difficult to replace now.
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 29 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #3

kfieler

QUOTE(davep @ Aug 29 2007, 10:42 AM) *

My suggestion is to drop the engine + tranny as a package and remove the tin. Who knows what other crap is in there blocking the airflow and preventing proper head and cylinder cooling. You have to do this on occasion, say every 10 to 15 years, and this might be the correct time to do it. You may not even have to remove the exhaust, but then have to remove the drive shafts. Servicing them is also very important since they are very difficult to replace now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The car is new to me and I am just trying to get it running for the first time. Per the PO's receipts, rebuilt heads were installed shortly before car was parked ten years ago. From what little I can see through all the plug holes, everything looks pretty clean (I wouldn't expect to find leaves, dead mice, or Jimmy Hoffa under the tins). I just need to retrieve that one little part! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Dropping the engine, at this stage, is completely out of the question. Any other thoughts?

I can't believe this has never happened to someone else and that the only remedy is to remove the engine from the car!?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Thanks!

- Keith
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 29 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

so after you pulled the left behind end off of the plug you dropped it? try sweeping/fishing towards the outboard end of the cyl. it may fall to the ground. the small bit of rubber for the end seal isn't going to do any major harm. it will just burn off and turn to dust. dave's right on the opportunity to clean if you pull the engine. you'll have the chance to clean the outside of oil cooler while you're in there. get your new parts on hand before you start.

k
+Quote Post
davep
post Aug 29 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #5

914 Historian

Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

You could use a lighted fibreoptic scope to look for it, and a cable grabber to pull it out. However it may take more time to do it that way than doing the drop.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 29 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #6

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

I vote just ignore it .... it won't burn

Or spend more time fishing
+Quote Post
Allan
post Aug 29 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #7

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 29 2007, 10:00 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Get the car running... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

It'll give you a better idea of what the motor is gonna need when you do drop it.
+Quote Post
kfieler
post Aug 29 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #8

kfieler

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 29 2007, 10:57 AM) *

so after you pulled the left behind end off of the plug you dropped it? try sweeping/fishing towards the outboard end of the cyl. it may fall to the ground. the small bit of rubber for the end seal isn't going to do any major harm. it will just burn off and turn to dust. dave's right on the opportunity to clean if you pull the engine. you'll have the chance to clean the outside of oil cooler while you're in there. get your new parts on hand before you start.

k

Yep, I dropped it down hole #2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (it was a combination of working in poor lighting, a little bit of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) and the fact that a PO had apparently installed incorrect plug wires for the car - with real short connectors).

I appreciate all the advise. I am glad to hear that if the connector cannot be retrieved, I won't ruin anything by leaving it there until the next engine drop!

THANKS AGAIN everyone!

- Keith
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 29 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #9

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I have a ton of those connectors, NOS PM me if you want one.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 29 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #10

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 29 2007, 12:00 PM) *

Or spend more time fishing

I agree! Plenty of open space in there, and a plug or connector isn't going to cause overheating.

I can only imagine what tools, parts & varmints are hiding in the "neverlands" underneath lots of 914's - mice, squirells & rats burn up, so they shouldn't be anything but an aromatic remeberance. & will eventaully find a place to disgorge themselves.

Wouldn't worry about a plug connector!
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 29 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I'd say run it!!

I have seen tgese engines run with 75% of their cooling air obstructed and still run that way for 50K miles- if that small obstruction fries your engine you had bigger problems to begin with..

That said, don't underestimate the power of a shop vac... Remove the cooling fan and fish the shop vac hose through the blower housing and into the cylinder tin area...

Been there and done that.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Aug 30 2007, 01:44 AM
Post #12

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(davep @ Aug 29 2007, 10:42 AM) *

while your at it put a cam, new p&c's and heads on! just kidding, although thats what seems to happen here more often than not. my sons dropped a seat and whalla!... 2056 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
bottomend
post Aug 30 2007, 03:12 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 4,683

First lesson; dont drink and work on your car ( untill you're good at working on your car while drinking)
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 30 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #14

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

QUOTE(bottomend @ Aug 30 2007, 05:12 AM) *

First lesson; dont drink and work on your car ( untill you're good at working on your car while drinking)

I resemble the latter remark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)... no really I do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:00 AM