Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Part Lost Between Engine Tin And Heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfieler
Click to view attachment

When performing a tune-up on my 914 1.7, a plug wire for my #2 cylinder came apart. The “bakelite” connector from the end of the plug wire is now “lost” somewhere between the heads and the tin. I’ve tried fishing-around with every method I can think of to retrieve the lost connector, but have had no luck. Interestingly enough, I fished-around using a telescoping magnet and found a loose sparkplug that had been floating-around in there for god knows how long (left by a PO), but I can’t see, feel or retrieve the bakelite connector.

Is there some magic trick I can use to locate and retrieve the lost sparkplug connector?

If I can’t retrieve it, am I going to ruin anything by replacing the plug wires, running the engine and leaving the lost bakelite connector and rubber seal floating-around under the tin?

Please help!

Thanks!

- Keith (newbie)
davep
My suggestion is to drop the engine + tranny as a package and remove the tin. Who knows what other crap is in there blocking the airflow and preventing proper head and cylinder cooling. You have to do this on occasion, say every 10 to 15 years, and this might be the correct time to do it. You may not even have to remove the exhaust, but then have to remove the drive shafts. Servicing them is also very important since they are very difficult to replace now.
kfieler
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 29 2007, 10:42 AM) *

My suggestion is to drop the engine + tranny as a package and remove the tin. Who knows what other crap is in there blocking the airflow and preventing proper head and cylinder cooling. You have to do this on occasion, say every 10 to 15 years, and this might be the correct time to do it. You may not even have to remove the exhaust, but then have to remove the drive shafts. Servicing them is also very important since they are very difficult to replace now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The car is new to me and I am just trying to get it running for the first time. Per the PO's receipts, rebuilt heads were installed shortly before car was parked ten years ago. From what little I can see through all the plug holes, everything looks pretty clean (I wouldn't expect to find leaves, dead mice, or Jimmy Hoffa under the tins). I just need to retrieve that one little part! mad.gif

Dropping the engine, at this stage, is completely out of the question. Any other thoughts?

I can't believe this has never happened to someone else and that the only remedy is to remove the engine from the car!?! blink.gif

Thanks!

- Keith
rhodyguy
so after you pulled the left behind end off of the plug you dropped it? try sweeping/fishing towards the outboard end of the cyl. it may fall to the ground. the small bit of rubber for the end seal isn't going to do any major harm. it will just burn off and turn to dust. dave's right on the opportunity to clean if you pull the engine. you'll have the chance to clean the outside of oil cooler while you're in there. get your new parts on hand before you start.

k
davep
You could use a lighted fibreoptic scope to look for it, and a cable grabber to pull it out. However it may take more time to do it that way than doing the drop.
SLITS
I vote just ignore it .... it won't burn

Or spend more time fishing
Allan
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 29 2007, 10:00 AM) *

agree.gif Get the car running... thumb3d.gif

It'll give you a better idea of what the motor is gonna need when you do drop it.
kfieler
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 29 2007, 10:57 AM) *

so after you pulled the left behind end off of the plug you dropped it? try sweeping/fishing towards the outboard end of the cyl. it may fall to the ground. the small bit of rubber for the end seal isn't going to do any major harm. it will just burn off and turn to dust. dave's right on the opportunity to clean if you pull the engine. you'll have the chance to clean the outside of oil cooler while you're in there. get your new parts on hand before you start.

k

Yep, I dropped it down hole #2 headbang.gif (it was a combination of working in poor lighting, a little bit of beer.gif and the fact that a PO had apparently installed incorrect plug wires for the car - with real short connectors).

I appreciate all the advise. I am glad to hear that if the connector cannot be retrieved, I won't ruin anything by leaving it there until the next engine drop!

THANKS AGAIN everyone!

- Keith
IronHillRestorations
I have a ton of those connectors, NOS PM me if you want one.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 29 2007, 12:00 PM) *

Or spend more time fishing

I agree! Plenty of open space in there, and a plug or connector isn't going to cause overheating.

I can only imagine what tools, parts & varmints are hiding in the "neverlands" underneath lots of 914's - mice, squirells & rats burn up, so they shouldn't be anything but an aromatic remeberance. & will eventaully find a place to disgorge themselves.

Wouldn't worry about a plug connector!
Jake Raby
I'd say run it!!

I have seen tgese engines run with 75% of their cooling air obstructed and still run that way for 50K miles- if that small obstruction fries your engine you had bigger problems to begin with..

That said, don't underestimate the power of a shop vac... Remove the cooling fan and fish the shop vac hose through the blower housing and into the cylinder tin area...

Been there and done that.
orange914
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 29 2007, 10:42 AM) *

while your at it put a cam, new p&c's and heads on! just kidding, although thats what seems to happen here more often than not. my sons dropped a seat and whalla!... 2056 screwy.gif
bottomend
First lesson; dont drink and work on your car ( untill you're good at working on your car while drinking)
tdgray
QUOTE(bottomend @ Aug 30 2007, 05:12 AM) *

First lesson; dont drink and work on your car ( untill you're good at working on your car while drinking)

I resemble the latter remark beer.gif beerchug.gif... no really I do blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.