Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't get the f#*!@%! CV joint back in, D'oh!
highways
post Aug 30 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,296

Ok,
I'm trying to manuver the driver side CV joint WITH the half shaft axle back into the hub, on a 73' 2.0L. I just can't get enough space to fit the half shaft into the hub to get things started. My heat exchanger can't be removed unless I wish to destroy it... which I don't currently. Maybe if i remover the starter I might have enough room to have the loose transmission end of the CV manuver up over the top front of the tranny? Currently I've tried to position that loose end up over the top rear of the tranny, jacking the trailing arm up and down to change the angles, no luck. Any bright ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
WFG
post Aug 30 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,243

QUOTE(highways @ Aug 30 2007, 03:53 PM) *

Ok,
I'm trying to manuver the driver side CV joint WITH the half shaft axle back into the hub, on a 73' 2.0L. I just can't get enough space to fit the half shaft into the hub to get things started. My heat exchanger can't be removed unless I wish to destroy it... which I don't currently. Maybe if i remover the starter I might have enough room to have the loose transmission end of the CV manuver up over the top front of the tranny? Currently I've tried to position that loose end up over the top rear of the tranny, jacking the trailing arm up and down to change the angles, no luck. Any bright ideas?

why didnt you just take the half shaft all the way out only a few extra bolts
+Quote Post
highways
post Aug 30 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,296

I tried that, installing the half shaft first, then the CV joint. But it's nearly impossible to get that CV joint gasket to stay in place during the mating of the shaft and CV. I crunched one gasket after about 15 attempts.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 30 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #4

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Maybe disconnecting the shock will give enough play in the swing arm to get the CV past the hub.

If you don't mind messing up your toe-in on the rear, disconnect the 3 bolts holding the swing arm in place and the arm will give some more room.

I don't mind moving the rear swing arm since I align my 914's myself in the garage.

Spoke
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 05:34 AM