Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't get the f#*!@%! CV joint back in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
highways
Ok,
I'm trying to manuver the driver side CV joint WITH the half shaft axle back into the hub, on a 73' 2.0L. I just can't get enough space to fit the half shaft into the hub to get things started. My heat exchanger can't be removed unless I wish to destroy it... which I don't currently. Maybe if i remover the starter I might have enough room to have the loose transmission end of the CV manuver up over the top front of the tranny? Currently I've tried to position that loose end up over the top rear of the tranny, jacking the trailing arm up and down to change the angles, no luck. Any bright ideas?
WFG
QUOTE(highways @ Aug 30 2007, 03:53 PM) *

Ok,
I'm trying to manuver the driver side CV joint WITH the half shaft axle back into the hub, on a 73' 2.0L. I just can't get enough space to fit the half shaft into the hub to get things started. My heat exchanger can't be removed unless I wish to destroy it... which I don't currently. Maybe if i remover the starter I might have enough room to have the loose transmission end of the CV manuver up over the top front of the tranny? Currently I've tried to position that loose end up over the top rear of the tranny, jacking the trailing arm up and down to change the angles, no luck. Any bright ideas?

why didnt you just take the half shaft all the way out only a few extra bolts
highways
I tried that, installing the half shaft first, then the CV joint. But it's nearly impossible to get that CV joint gasket to stay in place during the mating of the shaft and CV. I crunched one gasket after about 15 attempts.
Spoke
Maybe disconnecting the shock will give enough play in the swing arm to get the CV past the hub.

If you don't mind messing up your toe-in on the rear, disconnect the 3 bolts holding the swing arm in place and the arm will give some more room.

I don't mind moving the rear swing arm since I align my 914's myself in the garage.

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.