Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More Power, Pressurising the 1.8L(Turbo or supercharger?)
Coldrolled
post Sep 13 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,696

Greetings
Does anyone have experience pressurising the 914 engine?
Although an engine swap to a V8 or subaru is a superb way to gain performance , I'd rather not upset the balance or integrity of the car with a non factory engine.
I've looked into the 2.0 liter porsche 6 and while that seems to best route to take, those engines are rare and expensive.
My thoughts are to boost ( low pressure ) my 1.8l that already has an unreasonably low compression ratio while retaining the weber 44's .
Has anyone ever done this and what were the fuel enrichment and ignition strategies used to make it work?
Thanks in Advance.
Mike

1976 914
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 13 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Yes. I have extensive experience with the TIV and boost.
What you can expect from that stock 1.8 and boost is:

Parts breaking north of 7 PSI boost. First pistons, then stock head gaskets blowing.

More than 8 PSI boost will be enough pressure to max out the stock intake valve springs and float the intake valves

A maximum of about 135 HP with 7 PSI boost, non intercooled.

The 44 Webers won't like boost, they don't have sealed shafts and etc and don't like pressure.

You can make plenty of power N/A by just ripping your 1.8 apart and making it into a 2270, less hassle, less components and more simplicity.

But if you want to go boosted you'll find the same limitations that I did, if you like to break parts as much as I do you'll have fun.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 05:20 PM