Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coldrolled
Greetings
Does anyone have experience pressurising the 914 engine?
Although an engine swap to a V8 or subaru is a superb way to gain performance , I'd rather not upset the balance or integrity of the car with a non factory engine.
I've looked into the 2.0 liter porsche 6 and while that seems to best route to take, those engines are rare and expensive.
My thoughts are to boost ( low pressure ) my 1.8l that already has an unreasonably low compression ratio while retaining the weber 44's .
Has anyone ever done this and what were the fuel enrichment and ignition strategies used to make it work?
Thanks in Advance.
Mike

1976 914
Jake Raby
Yes. I have extensive experience with the TIV and boost.
What you can expect from that stock 1.8 and boost is:

Parts breaking north of 7 PSI boost. First pistons, then stock head gaskets blowing.

More than 8 PSI boost will be enough pressure to max out the stock intake valve springs and float the intake valves

A maximum of about 135 HP with 7 PSI boost, non intercooled.

The 44 Webers won't like boost, they don't have sealed shafts and etc and don't like pressure.

You can make plenty of power N/A by just ripping your 1.8 apart and making it into a 2270, less hassle, less components and more simplicity.

But if you want to go boosted you'll find the same limitations that I did, if you like to break parts as much as I do you'll have fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.