Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Heat for Heat Exchangerless Cars?
Chuck
post Sep 18 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #1

What it eventually will look like . . . .

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,632
Region Association: Northstar Region

I'm curious if anyone here has ever put some sort of electric heater into their 914. 914-6 heat exchangers, or equivalent, are $1500+. A header can be had for $400 and increases performance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I can live without heat per se, but I will really need a defog option in my car for rainy days. Anyone rigged something up? Care to share?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 43)
marks914
post Sep 21 2007, 01:41 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 2,912
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 20 2007, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(marks914 @ Sep 20 2007, 12:40 PM) *

My setup would probably work, it will be available in a few weeks

Mark

Check out my website for mor info
(IMG:http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/19095/2357708820057582025S425x425Q85.jpg)

If the car in question is a water-pumper. Which most of our cars are not.

Looks like a slick solution though, if you are. Does it actually scavenge enough heat to work?

Zach

You have to run oil through there instead of water

Mark
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Sep 21 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #42

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chuck @ Sep 18 2007, 06:22 PM) *

I'm curious if anyone here has ever put some sort of electric heater into their 914. 914-6 heat exchangers, or equivalent, are $1500+. A header can be had for $400 and increases performance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I can live without heat per se, but I will really need a defrost option in my car. Anyone rigged something up? Care to share?

If I was going to rely on electric heating, I'd first put a heater into the seats for personal comfort.

Defrost vs Defog is another animal. Of course you need some high heat and very fast air flow to melt any ice. You might consider an electric heating element in the airbox, but I'd make darn sure that the fan MUST be activated before current is allowed to flow to the heating elements.. so a "lockout" of some sort is in order.

Defoggig really requires dry air. Either you "superheat" humid air, or you put in an AC system and heat the dried air before blasting the windshield (much like most cars built after the mid-80s do).

I believe though, that after adding up all the costs, it might just be a "push" to have a fabricator weld up some custom boxes around your new headers for a much simpler and conventional system.

+Quote Post
Chuck
post Sep 21 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #43

What it eventually will look like . . . .

Member No.: 7,632
Region Association: Northstar Region

I believe though, that after adding up all the costs, it might just be a "push" to have a fabricator weld up some custom boxes around your new headers for a much simpler and conventional system.
[/quote]

I was reading the classi thread that Dan (Root Werks) had put together on his 6 conversion. He used Bursch headers and fabbed a heater setup off of thos. That looks like a nice solution.
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post Sep 21 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #44

Unregistered

I installed one of these:

http://www.autobarn.net/3000c.html

I know it doesn't get very cold in Seattle but it's a lot better than nothing.

Eddie

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:27 PM