Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original Carpets, Cleaning Suggestions?
Rick L
post Sep 21 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,116
Region Association: North East States

I have the original "brownie" interior with the honey gold carpet which is actually in good shape. It (the carpet) DESPERATELY needs cleaning. I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to clean it without destroying it.

Any Suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 22 2007, 08:14 AM
Post #2

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Rick- I've got the Tan carpet in the LE. What can be removed I power washed rinsed w/ water. Sprayed Woolite carpet cleaner on it first & let it soak in. Dried them hanging on a plastic railing. Still working on the parts that are glued (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . Been trying all sorts of spray & vac formulas, both home & auto & none seem to do anything except burn $$$ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .
+Quote Post
Rick L
post Sep 22 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #3

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) That doesn't bode well.

None of my carpet is glued in since I had it painted, last year, so I can pull it out at will. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Did the woolite work on the pieces you pulled out?

Also, I just sent you an email about the rocker covers.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 22 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #4

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rleonardccemtp @ Sep 22 2007, 04:12 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) That doesn't bode well.

None of my carpet is glued in since I had it painted, last year, so I can pull it out at will. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Did the woolite work on the pieces you pulled out?

Also, I just sent you an email about the rocker covers.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Yes, very nice & not harsh on you or the old rugs. Cold water only & no solvents in the power washer, just high pressure water. Use the minimum setting on the thing & enjoy. Don't hang on metal to dry- rust! Keep out of sunlight drying.
+Quote Post
Rick L
post Sep 22 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #5

Schweet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Thanx, I'm on my way to the store!

Now if I can just figure out why it won't start....again! This time, no fuel! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I love my car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
Rick L
post Sep 22 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(rleonardccemtp @ Sep 22 2007, 05:12 PM) *

Now if I can just figure out why it won't start....again! This time, no fuel! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I love my car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

A thorough investigation reveals a Fuel Gauge that reads 4/4 (full).....IT LIES!
Apparently, when my brother and I put the sender plug back together, we grounded it incorrectly.

The fuel tank is bone dry! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/owned.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 22 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #7

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(rleonardccemtp @ Sep 22 2007, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(rleonardccemtp @ Sep 22 2007, 05:12 PM) *

A thorough investigation reveals a Fuel Gauge that reads 4/4 (full).....IT LIES!
Apparently, when my brother and I put the sender plug back together, we grounded it incorrectly.

The fuel tank is bone dry! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/owned.gif)

Don't be too hard on yourself. We've all been boneheads before. I, myself, have been a bonehead at least 30 times in the last 35 years with 914's. It happens, and you move on & learn.

Now, as to your carpeting. I have a "steam" cleaner that I bought from Sears 20 years ago. Worthless in the house (except for upholstery), but a gem in the garage. No harsh chemicals needed that may separate the textile from its backing. Cleans perfectly.

Only problem - I don't think they make it anymore. But you're welcome to come & use mine - I'm in SE Pa, close to Delaware & Jersey.
Pat
+Quote Post
Rick L
post Sep 22 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #8

Don't be too hard on yourself. We've all been boneheads before. I, myself, have been a bonehead at least 30 times in the last 35 years with 914's. It happens, and you move on & learn.

Now, as to your carpeting. I have a "steam" cleaner that I bought from Sears 20 years ago. Worthless in the house (except for upholstery), but a gem in the garage. No harsh chemicals needed that may separate the textile from its backing. Cleans perfectly.

Only problem - I don't think they make it anymore. But you're welcome to come & use mine - I'm in SE Pa, close to Delaware & Jersey.
Pat
[/quote]

Put fuel in the tank and whadaya know, it powered right up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . Now I just need to figure out the right way to wire the sender plug, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Pat that sounds like an excuse to get in the car and drive to southern PA! We'll have to set it up. I just ordered a shift linkage repair kit from PP. Hopefully that'll cure my 4th & 5th gear issues and I'll be on my way up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)
It may take a couple of weeks tho. The week of the 1st, I'll be in myrtle beach. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/golfer.gif) It's a tough life, but somebody's gotta live it!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 08:04 AM