Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 9 10 11  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A week in Aircooled Heaven, I rebuilding my engine At Jake's
Jake Raby
post Oct 7 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #201

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Because Dave has a damn near 200 HP proven engine that has less than 5% leakdown and passed every one of my post dyno tests on the first try.

We have removed the only constant that has remained since day one with Dave's engine since day one.

Only fools make the same mistake twice, I don't know what you'd call the person that makes the same mistake 6 times, especially with the insane results we have noted with Dave's current engine combination.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gjones
post Jan 20 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #202

Member No.: 8,592

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Sep 27 2007, 07:05 PM) *

Today was a day real highs and real lows. Jake and his crew have put up with questions, offered advice when they saw me heading down the wrong road, interrupted their work to help me put up with bench spread as my stuff takes up more room and all the time made me feel welcome. That includes sharing the absolute worst Homer Simpson image I ever seen.

First the worst, the darn thing wouldn't start, no spark. Right away, I knew this was my issue to fix. We were going to use MS to control spark and carbs to provide fuel to break it in and then Jake wanted the info for comparison. No matter what I did there was no tach signal. I've swapped and tested and and I still can't find the problem. I wasted the whole morning with my engine on the dyno.

And, it got worse. Once it was decided that we would change to a dizzy I started to disconnect and remove my harness. I unwrapped the electricians tape on a splice in the 12v feed and went to get a tool to cut it. It shorted to ground and the insulation on the lines melted and both the 12V line and the ground caught fire. The 12v line fell on the fuel line and for a few seconds there was a flame. Jake actually grabbed it and ripped it apart. Later he said "If I had brought the Pinzgauer I'd run over something.". I'm not sure if the something is me. I suspect it is my Megasquirt.

Fortunately, things got better. The engine started on the first turn with a Mallory and Dellortos. You guys saw the pulls. ABSOLUTELY amazing.

It is for certain that the stock plenum can't supply the engine with air, so I have to make some decisions. I really like FI but you can't argue with the numbers. Undoubtedly, I'd need individual throttle bodies or carbs. What a good decision to have to make.

Dave

Newby question- is it a big "no no" to not use the head gaskets- my engine was assembled without- aside from rasing CR somewhat- should I expect the worst???
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 20 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #203

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

The head gaskets should not be used.. VW released a bulletin stating this in 1981.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 20 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #204

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I love when you guys talk about injection. Cool stuff, and way over my head. I get a little more of the puzzle everytime. MS would make me crazy. Are you saying SDS is plug and almost play?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 21 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #205

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Rick, both/either need to be tuned. My understanding of what Jake & Dave are saying is that the MS software might not be dialed in quite enough. Differences between how much fuel the computer says it's giving and how much fuel it's actually giving.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 21 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #206

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 21 2008, 03:24 PM) *

Rick, both/either need to be tuned. My understanding of what Jake & Dave are saying is that the MS software might not be dialed in quite enough. Differences between how much fuel the computer says it's giving and how much fuel it's actually giving.

Thanks Mark, That makes sense.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 22 2008, 01:05 AM
Post #207

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Hey Rick, check out post 27 of this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=79991
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 10:14 PM