Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Sterling Meet thread, Fix cars and drink Zymurgist's homebrew.
VaccaRabite
post Sep 26 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What: MidA get together
Where: Sterling VA
Why: Fix babydoll (and other cars that need fixing) and drink homebrew.
When: Oct. 20th
Who: Anyone that want to come

Meet for breakfast at 7:30 at Amphora's.
Have breakfast, and move on to Roots place to fix stuff and drink beer.

More info as it becomes avalible.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Sep 26 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #2

"Ace" Mechanic

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

Hmmm. I have a few "big" beers in bottles as well as some dark ale (about 1/3 keg left). I'm thinking:

Bottles
Belgian Tripel - aging nicely, over 9%

Double IPA - not really hoppy enough to be a double IPA, 8%, still bottle conditioning

Last year's cider - tastes pretty good if you pour it right

Keg
Dark ale based on Charlie Papzian's "Danger Knows No Favorites Dunkel", more of a chewy grainy taste than hoppy.

Also have a Nut Brown Ale that's even chewier, but that will probably be gone this weekend (the keg is so light, I wouldn't bother bringing it).

There's a new all-grain IPA that is waay too hoppy for its own good. This one would be for hopheads and masochists only. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Babydoll
post Sep 26 2007, 09:43 AM
Post #3

Babydoll no beer function well without

Member No.: 4,336

LOL. Short notice no good, eh? Haven't heard from Rod yet, either, and my next wide open week-end is Oct. 20th. That may be my only next free Sat., tho' Sundays are still OK (tho' I hear that zymurgist Ken doesn't like Sundays). How's that work?
+Quote Post
type47
post Sep 26 2007, 09:48 AM
Post #4

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

i'd like to add a job to the task list (in addition to improving Babydoll). i have a welding job that needs to be done: the "receiver/nut" that the stock seat belt mounts to, located at the right hip of the passenger, needs to be welded/fixed. root mentioned he has the "skilz" so this get together would be perfect for that. consider that the pca potomac club race at summit point is Oct 5-7 and there is the last pca potomac tech inspection Oct 27 (but someone in another thread asked to avoid 10/27 due to giving a Halloween party). Nov 3 should still be good weather, too.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 26 2007, 09:59 AM
Post #5

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

I'd like to weld in a new battery tray & support in the six because I'm moving the battery back where it belongs. She needs room for the oil cooler duct & the battery is in the way.

No can do this weekend & 1st weekend in Oct is out. Oct 28 is also out cause of the PCA/Shenandoah Fall Foliage Tour.
+Quote Post
angerosa
post Sep 26 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,023

I totally want in. Any weekend in October other than the fist one should be good for me. I think we should just set the date and let the chips fall where they may. I have to go to this get together since I live 10 minutes away (if it is going to be at Rods shop)! I think we should stay away from November. Yes weather is still pretty nice but it's more likely to have a sunny mid 80s day in mid October.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Sep 26 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 26 2007, 07:07 AM) *

Hmmm. I have a few "big" beers in bottles as well as some dark ale (about 1/3 keg left). I'm thinking:

Bottles
Belgian Tripel - aging nicely, over 9%

Double IPA - not really hoppy enough to be a double IPA, 8%, still bottle conditioning

Last year's cider - tastes pretty good if you pour it right

Keg
Dark ale based on Charlie Papzian's "Danger Knows No Favorites Dunkel", more of a chewy grainy taste than hoppy.

Also have a Nut Brown Ale that's even chewier, but that will probably be gone this weekend (the keg is so light, I wouldn't bother bringing it).

Nothing recently brewed is ready to drink yet.

Do we HAVE to work on cars or can we just come and drink some of that nice beer?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Little too far even for that tempting homebrew. Have a great time.

+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Sep 26 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #8

Barberdave

Member No.: 135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

CRY-M-Netleys:

You guys really are something,i am thinking about driveing over.

I will check mapQuest ,post a final date and address. DAVE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Sep 26 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #9

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460

i got my eye on this event

+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 26 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #10

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

I vote first of november ? Al, your battery tray isn't (shouldn't) be a one day event. To do the job properly the engine should be removed. It would be real pain ( not to mention dangerous) to do the with engine installed. Oh and I'm in for the sweet ass cider-beer. Have fun with that Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Sep 26 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #11

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 26 2007, 10:04 PM) *

Al, your battery tray isn't (shouldn't) be a one day event. To do the job properly the engine should be removed.

Scotty- generally, I agree, however there's nothing there now. No computer, wires, battery tray, bracket... nothing. Only thing near is the fuel line, which I'd remove along w/ the pump. I'm going to eventually repaint the whole car so I'm fitting & fixing everything up first, before I take it all apart, blast it & repaint everything.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 26 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #12

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Definite maybe
+Quote Post
Babydoll
post Sep 26 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #13

Babydoll no beer function well without

Member No.: 4,336

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Well, folks, from the replies so far, the most commonly available week-end seems to be Oct. 20. Nov. seems soooo far away for an Octoberfest, doncha' think? The beginning and the end of Oct. seem to be busy for all of us, but the 20th - can do that one? The beer will be well-brewed, and I make awfully good chili! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Of course, the first week-end of Nov. would make a good rain-date. Is any of this ok with you Rod ("Root"), oh noble host of the Up-Fixin'-der-914 shenanigans?
+Quote Post
atomix8
post Sep 27 2007, 07:20 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,105

I can't make the 20th, but I'll pencil in the rain date! It was good meeting all of you at the ECC Cookout. (I was the young guy with the nice steering wheel ;-) )
+Quote Post
type47
post Sep 27 2007, 08:01 AM
Post #15

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

calling Root, the host of the event..... how does sat Oct 20th look for you?
+Quote Post
root
post Sep 27 2007, 08:02 AM
Post #16

Two Wheeled Type4 Completed!

Member No.: 2,026

Let's schedule it for Saturday October 20th
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Just like last year let's kick off the event at 7:30AM at Amphora's.
It's open to all ninefourteeners!

If you have a reasonable size task you'd like help on at this event announce it here in this thread.

Current Task list:

1. Babydoll - tuning issue -find what's ailing her and fixit!
2. Type47 - minor weldup - seat belt stay

Blackstain - battery tray! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif) I'm with Scotty on this one. The tray install is too big for this event, last year we (JPB) installed a new jack point for PineTreePorsche and that was pushing it for a one day event (all work was performed on outside rocker area so it was doable). Inside the engine bay grinding and welding... I've done it many times........ it's tight in there..... and impossible to do it right without an engine drop!

Fuel lines and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) = (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 27 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #17

En Garde!

Oct 20th. Seems clear on the initial "I'm at work" Calendar. Need to check and see whats due at school, and make sure Erin does not have me billed for something else.

Would not be able to make breakfast (not much is worth leaving home at 5am on a Saturday) but I'd be able to show around noonish - assuming that I am free.

I'll change the first post to indicate the date change.

If I am free, any one interested in putting together the bits of my carbed 2056 and seeing if we can get it to fire? It engine is built, but the tin, mallory, carbs, linkage, etc are all off it.

Zach
+Quote Post
root
post Sep 27 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #18

Two Wheeled Type4 Completed!

Member No.: 2,026

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 27 2007, 09:13 AM) *

Oct 20th. Seems clear on the initial "I'm at work" Calendar. Need to check and see whats due at school, and make sure Erin does not have me billed for something else.

Would not be able to make breakfast (not much is worth leaving home at 5am on a Saturday) but I'd be able to show around noonish - assuming that I am free.

If I am free, any one interested in putting together the bits of my carbed 2056 and seeing if we can get it to fire? It engine is built, but the tin, mallory, carbs, linkage, etc are all off it.

Zach

Zach, I have an engine stand you can use to assemble on but I haven't cobbled up a start/run stand yet. I've been meaning to but just haven't done it yet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Need to sacrifice an old tranny.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) off the bell housing and use it to mount the starter to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Hey Jim K. I knew we shouldn't have thrown those old tail shifters away! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
type11969
post Sep 27 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

If I can make it (a bit of a haul) I can bring the bellhousing of a VW tranny, don't see why it wouldn't work. I'll try to keep that day free, sounds like a good time!

-Chris
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 27 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #20

En Garde!

QUOTE(root @ Sep 27 2007, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 27 2007, 09:13 AM) *

Zach

Zach, I have an engine stand you can use to assemble on but I haven't cobbled up a start/run stand yet. I've been meaning to but just haven't done it yet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Need to sacrifice an old tranny.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) off the bell housing and use it to mount the starter to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Hey Jim K. I knew we shouldn't have thrown those old tail shifters away! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Actually... I have an old tranny that I can use for that. The case is too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) for using as an actual tranny at this point.

its a really good idea. Why the heck did I not think of it earlier.

I think that all I need for it go together is some new seals for the carbs to mount to the engine, and maybe new seals for the rocker covers (i'll need to see how they look).

Zach
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:34 PM