Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Sterling Meet thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
VaccaRabite
What: MidA get together
Where: Sterling VA
Why: Fix babydoll (and other cars that need fixing) and drink homebrew.
When: Oct. 20th
Who: Anyone that want to come

Meet for breakfast at 7:30 at Amphora's.
Have breakfast, and move on to Roots place to fix stuff and drink beer.

More info as it becomes avalible.
zymurgist
Hmmm. I have a few "big" beers in bottles as well as some dark ale (about 1/3 keg left). I'm thinking:

Bottles
Belgian Tripel - aging nicely, over 9%

Double IPA - not really hoppy enough to be a double IPA, 8%, still bottle conditioning

Last year's cider - tastes pretty good if you pour it right

Keg
Dark ale based on Charlie Papzian's "Danger Knows No Favorites Dunkel", more of a chewy grainy taste than hoppy.

Also have a Nut Brown Ale that's even chewier, but that will probably be gone this weekend (the keg is so light, I wouldn't bother bringing it).

There's a new all-grain IPA that is waay too hoppy for its own good. This one would be for hopheads and masochists only. sad.gif
Babydoll
LOL. Short notice no good, eh? Haven't heard from Rod yet, either, and my next wide open week-end is Oct. 20th. That may be my only next free Sat., tho' Sundays are still OK (tho' I hear that zymurgist Ken doesn't like Sundays). How's that work?
type47
i'd like to add a job to the task list (in addition to improving Babydoll). i have a welding job that needs to be done: the "receiver/nut" that the stock seat belt mounts to, located at the right hip of the passenger, needs to be welded/fixed. root mentioned he has the "skilz" so this get together would be perfect for that. consider that the pca potomac club race at summit point is Oct 5-7 and there is the last pca potomac tech inspection Oct 27 (but someone in another thread asked to avoid 10/27 due to giving a Halloween party). Nov 3 should still be good weather, too.
Johny Blackstain
I'd like to weld in a new battery tray & support in the six because I'm moving the battery back where it belongs. She needs room for the oil cooler duct & the battery is in the way.

No can do this weekend & 1st weekend in Oct is out. Oct 28 is also out cause of the PCA/Shenandoah Fall Foliage Tour.
angerosa
I totally want in. Any weekend in October other than the fist one should be good for me. I think we should just set the date and let the chips fall where they may. I have to go to this get together since I live 10 minutes away (if it is going to be at Rods shop)! I think we should stay away from November. Yes weather is still pretty nice but it's more likely to have a sunny mid 80s day in mid October.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 26 2007, 07:07 AM) *

Hmmm. I have a few "big" beers in bottles as well as some dark ale (about 1/3 keg left). I'm thinking:

Bottles
Belgian Tripel - aging nicely, over 9%

Double IPA - not really hoppy enough to be a double IPA, 8%, still bottle conditioning

Last year's cider - tastes pretty good if you pour it right

Keg
Dark ale based on Charlie Papzian's "Danger Knows No Favorites Dunkel", more of a chewy grainy taste than hoppy.

Also have a Nut Brown Ale that's even chewier, but that will probably be gone this weekend (the keg is so light, I wouldn't bother bringing it).

Nothing recently brewed is ready to drink yet.

Do we HAVE to work on cars or can we just come and drink some of that nice beer?
beer.gif

Little too far even for that tempting homebrew. Have a great time.

BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

CRY-M-Netleys:

You guys really are something,i am thinking about driveing over.

I will check mapQuest ,post a final date and address. DAVE slap.gif
jimkelly
i got my eye on this event

scotty b
I vote first of november ? Al, your battery tray isn't (shouldn't) be a one day event. To do the job properly the engine should be removed. It would be real pain ( not to mention dangerous) to do the with engine installed. Oh and I'm in for the sweet ass cider-beer. Have fun with that Mike smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 26 2007, 10:04 PM) *

Al, your battery tray isn't (shouldn't) be a one day event. To do the job properly the engine should be removed.

Scotty- generally, I agree, however there's nothing there now. No computer, wires, battery tray, bracket... nothing. Only thing near is the fuel line, which I'd remove along w/ the pump. I'm going to eventually repaint the whole car so I'm fitting & fixing everything up first, before I take it all apart, blast it & repaint everything.
Dr Evil
Definite maybe
Babydoll
beerchug.gif Well, folks, from the replies so far, the most commonly available week-end seems to be Oct. 20. Nov. seems soooo far away for an Octoberfest, doncha' think? The beginning and the end of Oct. seem to be busy for all of us, but the 20th - can do that one? The beer will be well-brewed, and I make awfully good chili! smile.gif Of course, the first week-end of Nov. would make a good rain-date. Is any of this ok with you Rod ("Root"), oh noble host of the Up-Fixin'-der-914 shenanigans?
atomix8
I can't make the 20th, but I'll pencil in the rain date! It was good meeting all of you at the ECC Cookout. (I was the young guy with the nice steering wheel ;-) )
type47
calling Root, the host of the event..... how does sat Oct 20th look for you?
root
Let's schedule it for Saturday October 20th
smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif chowtime.gif beer.gif

Just like last year let's kick off the event at 7:30AM at Amphora's.
It's open to all ninefourteeners!

If you have a reasonable size task you'd like help on at this event announce it here in this thread.

Current Task list:

1. Babydoll - tuning issue -find what's ailing her and fixit!
2. Type47 - minor weldup - seat belt stay

Blackstain - battery tray! fighting19.gif I'm with Scotty on this one. The tray install is too big for this event, last year we (JPB) installed a new jack point for PineTreePorsche and that was pushing it for a one day event (all work was performed on outside rocker area so it was doable). Inside the engine bay grinding and welding... I've done it many times........ it's tight in there..... and impossible to do it right without an engine drop!

Fuel lines and welder.gif = blowup.gif

VaccaRabite
Oct 20th. Seems clear on the initial "I'm at work" Calendar. Need to check and see whats due at school, and make sure Erin does not have me billed for something else.

Would not be able to make breakfast (not much is worth leaving home at 5am on a Saturday) but I'd be able to show around noonish - assuming that I am free.

I'll change the first post to indicate the date change.

If I am free, any one interested in putting together the bits of my carbed 2056 and seeing if we can get it to fire? It engine is built, but the tin, mallory, carbs, linkage, etc are all off it.

Zach
root
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 27 2007, 09:13 AM) *

Oct 20th. Seems clear on the initial "I'm at work" Calendar. Need to check and see whats due at school, and make sure Erin does not have me billed for something else.

Would not be able to make breakfast (not much is worth leaving home at 5am on a Saturday) but I'd be able to show around noonish - assuming that I am free.

If I am free, any one interested in putting together the bits of my carbed 2056 and seeing if we can get it to fire? It engine is built, but the tin, mallory, carbs, linkage, etc are all off it.

Zach

Zach, I have an engine stand you can use to assemble on but I haven't cobbled up a start/run stand yet. I've been meaning to but just haven't done it yet! idea.gif Need to sacrifice an old tranny.... sawzall-smiley.gif off the bell housing and use it to mount the starter to. aktion035.gif

Hey Jim K. I knew we shouldn't have thrown those old tail shifters away! headbang.gif
type11969
If I can make it (a bit of a haul) I can bring the bellhousing of a VW tranny, don't see why it wouldn't work. I'll try to keep that day free, sounds like a good time!

-Chris
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(root @ Sep 27 2007, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 27 2007, 09:13 AM) *

Zach

Zach, I have an engine stand you can use to assemble on but I haven't cobbled up a start/run stand yet. I've been meaning to but just haven't done it yet! idea.gif Need to sacrifice an old tranny.... sawzall-smiley.gif off the bell housing and use it to mount the starter to. aktion035.gif

Hey Jim K. I knew we shouldn't have thrown those old tail shifters away! headbang.gif

Actually... I have an old tranny that I can use for that. The case is too stromberg.gif for using as an actual tranny at this point.

its a really good idea. Why the heck did I not think of it earlier.

I think that all I need for it go together is some new seals for the carbs to mount to the engine, and maybe new seals for the rocker covers (i'll need to see how they look).

Zach
angerosa
I am totally there for the 20th. Looking forward to meeting all of you! biggrin.gif
scotty b
IF I make it I have a starter rig already built I can bring. I'm also all for going through Bbaydoll, valves up to get her RIGHT for good aktion035.gif sounds mostly like a ignition/fuel trigger issue but why not start at sqaure one confused24.gif Anybody have a set of valve cover gaskets to donate? I'll also bring my multimeter. Might have to change the camping trip to November unsure.gif
root
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 27 2007, 07:25 PM) *

IF I make it I have a starter rig already built I can bring. I'm also all for going through Bbaydoll, valves up to get her RIGHT for good aktion035.gif sounds mostly like a ignition/fuel trigger issue but why not start at sqaure one confused24.gif Anybody have a set of valve cover gaskets to donate? I'll also bring my multimeter. Might have to change the camping trip to November unsure.gif

Yup! agree.gif a valve tweek is definitely required, I have a valve cover gasket set I'll pitch in! beerchug.gif
Babydoll
biggrin.gif Awwww, you guys are AWESOME, now I'm gonna' bring chili AND brownies!
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Babydoll @ Sep 28 2007, 12:27 AM) *

brownies!

Brownies smoke.gif ?
root
Hey "Brewman" (Zymurgist), or anybodyelse who wants to chime in!

I'm looking around the shop for spare TPS's to test, if needed, during the Babydoll tuneUP. And I have some questions: idea.gif

1. Do you know or remember, or does anybody else, what FI is in Babydoll, Djet or Ljet? Seems like I remember it to be a 1.8 Ljet.

2. Is Babydoll's TPS the one that came from the Jim Kelly stash of parts at my shop? I think Evil or someone else installed it last year at VBWS.

3. Final and probably the most difficult question:
What number was the TPS that was installed, 021 or 032?

Oh by-the-way Cheers beer3.gif
jimkelly
looks like this thing is a full blown go cheer.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(root @ Sep 28 2007, 11:05 AM) *

Hey "Brewman" (Zymurgist), or anybodyelse who wants to chime in!

I'm looking around the shop for spare TPS's to test, if needed, during the Babydoll tuneUP. And I have some questions: idea.gif

1. Do you know or remember, or does anybody else, what FI is in Babydoll, Djet or Ljet? Seems like I remember it to be a 1.8 Ljet.

2. Is Babydoll's TPS the one that came from the Jim Kelly stash of parts at my shop? I think Evil or someone else installed it last year at VBWS.

3. Final and probably the most difficult question:
What number was the TPS that was installed, 021 or 032?

Oh by-the-way Cheers beer3.gif

Babydoll is definitely a 2.0 D-Jet. I'm pretty sure that the TPS came from the Jim Kelly stash, and Caroline swapped the one she had for the one she has now. They both looked OK on the inside, as far as I can tell... the one that's on the engine now was cleaned with brake cleaner the day after the ECC. (And also aligned per the instructions available on the Pelican site.) And as far as the number goes... perhaps Caroline could pull the air cleaner and see if she can see the number..? (I don't know whether it's visible while installed, though.)

There's a new batch on tap in my kitchen, but it is hoppy as hell. Only 4% ABV and 70 IBU (per BeerSmith)... apparently this batch is off the charts for an IPA because of the bitterness. Gonna try to re-create the recipe I made for ECC this weekend with a new all-grain recipe.
root
Babydoll is definitely a 2.0 D-Jet. I'm pretty sure that the TPS came from the Jim Kelly stash, and Caroline swapped the one she had for the one she has now. They both looked OK on the inside, as far as I can tell... the one that's on the engine now was cleaned with brake cleaner the day after the ECC. (And also aligned per the instructions available on the Pelican site.) And as far as the number goes... perhaps Caroline could pull the air cleaner and see if she can see the number..? (I don't know whether it's visible while installed, though.)

There's a new batch on tap in my kitchen, but it is hoppy as hell. Only 4% ABV and 70 IBU (per BeerSmith)... apparently this batch is off the charts for an IPA because of the bitterness. Gonna try to re-create the recipe I made for ECC this weekend with a new all-grain recipe.

O.K. if it's a stock 2.0 D-jet then I believe the correct TPS would be 0 280 120 032.
You really can't see the number unless you remove it so that will have to wait 'till later.

As for the brew lingo ..... you lost me again! confused24.gif
First I have to figure out those acronyms you're throwing around
4% ABV and 70 IBU...........IPA
Then retry to understand you!
Can't you just post in "drinking-layman" terms" or do I need to study zymurgistology? biggrin.gif
zymurgist
LOL. OK, here's the 411 on the terms I'm throwing out...

ABV = Alcohol By Volume. Your basic Budweiser is around 5.0% ABV unless you are unfortunate enough to live in a state that mandates 3.2 beer. 5% ABV is a benchmark... lower than that and it's a "light" or "lawnmower" beer, higher than that and it can be an "imperial" style, a "barleywine," or any number of Belgian styles such as "strong ale" or "tripel." Incidentally, Guinness (which has many forms) is normally lower in alcohol content than a typical American premium lager.

IBU = International Bitterness Units. The hops that go into beer contribute bitterness to the flavor profile, via the alpha acids, which are contained in the sticky glands on the buds (yes, it's very similar, for those who are wondering). The more alpha acids that are boiled (typically for 60 minutes), the more bitter your finished beer will be. Good brewers strive for a balance between the sweetness of their lovingly mashed malt and the bitterness of their hops.

IPA = India Pale Ale. When the Brits were in India, they shipped beer to their troops overseas so they could have a taste of home. Given that refrigeration on a long ocean voyage was not practical, they upped the amount of hops in the standard English Pale Ale, since hops not only contribute flavor, they act as a natural preservative. This is why in the days of wooden ships and iron men, they carried beer and rum and not a lot of water... water would go stagnant but beer and rum would remain safe to drink. They also made the brew stronger because they wouldn't have to ship as much beer for the equivalent buzz level. This English Pale Ale on steroids came to be called India Pale Ale.

About the Jackstand IPA: it came in around 6% ABV (low end of alcohol for an IPA) and 42 IBU (low end of the bitterness scale for an IPA). My ideal IPA would be around 7.5 - 8% ABV and, say, 55 IBU. The IPA that I tapped this week comes in at 4% ABV and 70 IBU. That is to say, it's a good summertime beer, given its low alcohol content, but its bitterness will sucker punch you and bang your old lady.
Babydoll
blink.gif LOL. Not *that* kinda brownies, Johnny Blackstain, and I'll see if I can go pull that TPS switch and get the numbers off of it. Yup, Babydoll is a stock 2.0 D-Jet.

As to her issues, I've been thinking forever that all my problems would go away with a good TPS switch, but when when I questioned Zymurgist Ken as to what HE thought this would do for the shaking little beastess, he replied, and I quote:

"Probably not a lot, unless we can get the timing fixed. That's the biggest obstacle to getting Babydoll running right. I think I can figure that out, given the documentation available, but I'd really like to have some other guys around if we have to troubleshoot the FI trigger points."

And here you guys are... see why I love you all so much? Now, to go pull the air filter and see if I can get that throttle switch off...

Caroline
Dr Evil
Before going crazy and pulling the TPS, have you checked it? Power your car up, but do not start it. Slowly open your throttle and listen for clicks every few degrees. These clicks are the clicks of the fuel injectors and if you get a steady beat of them (I think 13 total) as you are opening the throttle then your TPS is fine as well as your FI brain TPS circuit.

I should be in the middle of my Ob/Gyn rotation when we all want to meet and as of yet do not know my schedule. I'll make sure to wash my hands wink.gif
root
Caroline - don't worry 'bout the TPS we'll check it when it gets here.
Just let it go ..... we'll (EVIL) fix it! Checkout EVIL's reply to your post!

Root - (beer and brownie lover) beer.gif chowtime.gif
Babydoll
smash.gif Thanks, Root, and Dr. Evil, what a neat trick that is! I went back out to the engine bay and re-installed the air filter ( I think Babydoll was most relieved that I didn't root around and pull of fthat throttle switch...). I then turned on the car, as specified, and pulled slowly on the spring that attaches to the throttle. I could definitely hear the clicks... up to 15 of 'em, I think. The faster I pulled, the faster it clicked. Does that mean my fuel injectors are working right? (Zymurgist will be happy to hear that...) That being the case, I really DO have timing problems, cause Babydoll shakes and jumps as if she's getting a choked fuel feed. Glad I've got a doctor on my side, and a shop, and lots of expertise ... I AM a lucky girl, and most certainly, so is Babydoll! Can't wait to see you guys on the 20th...
type47
icon_bump.gif
Rick L
I'm in. beer3.gif sawzall-smiley.gif chowtime.gif

I've got several small projects to do...Clutch adjustment, shift linkage repair, & valve adjustment.

Or I could just come down and enjoy the beer! shades.gif

Can't wait. driving.gif
okieflyr
How old is your distributor? Years ago the bushings became worn out in mine, and it was tough keeping the dwell and the trigger points happy. It drove "ok", but the idle never would settle.

QUOTE(Babydoll @ Sep 28 2007, 04:47 PM) *

smash.gif Thanks, Root, and Dr. Evil, what a neat trick that is! I went back out to the engine bay and re-installed the air filter ( I think Babydoll was most relieved that I didn't root around and pull of fthat throttle switch...). I then turned on the car, as specified, and pulled slowly on the spring that attaches to the throttle. I could definitely hear the clicks... up to 15 of 'em, I think. The faster I pulled, the faster it clicked. Does that mean my fuel injectors are working right? (Zymurgist will be happy to hear that...) That being the case, I really DO have timing problems, cause Babydoll shakes and jumps as if she's getting a choked fuel feed. Glad I've got a doctor on my side, and a shop, and lots of expertise ... I AM a lucky girl, and most certainly, so is Babydoll! Can't wait to see you guys on the 20th...

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rleonardccemtp @ Oct 1 2007, 01:36 PM) *

I'm in.

Good. I'll bring your rockers & we should be able to put them on right there.

Caroline, I guess I'll pass on the brownies since they won't be "flavored". biggrin.gif
Babydoll
[quote name='okieflyr' date='Oct 1 2007, 02:55 PM' post='952206']
How old is your distributor? Years ago the bushings became worn out in mine, and it was tough keeping the dwell and the trigger points happy. It drove "ok", but the idle never would settle.

How old is Babydoll's dizzy? That's a pretty good question... Root n' da boys "created" it to replace the distributor that had been tweaked for an electronic ignition Crane box (which turned out to be faulty, wouldn't allow two injectors to fire). That was at the last Sterling get-together a year ago, and there wasn't much time for any fine tuning. Add to that the fact that Babydoll has never had a valve job... I suppose she's due for some man-handling, eh? Her idle is all over the map at present... I find that she drives pretty well until she's warmed up, then the jumping gets worse and she idles high, 2K or higher at stoplights... and she's guzzling gas.

angerosa
If there's time - I'd like some of you guys to drive my car while I point out a few things and ask if they're normal or if I could do some kind of adjustment to fix. Car swap anyone?
smdubovsky
I'll try to make it. Breakfast last year at that diner was good.

Z, your beer for the ECC was the best I've had in quite a while.

DrE, got the shirts. Look good.

SMD
type47
icon_bump.gif
VaccaRabite
I am going to be ordering parts today (i hope) so that i will have everyhting in order for the meet next week. Hopefully I'll be able to get Mike and Ross to come over friday night to help pre-stage the motor (while Laura and Noel and Erin hang out).

Zach

root
10 day weather forecast says it's going to be warm in the 70's
for the Sterling Meet! aktion035.gif

I'm gettin' prepared stirthepot.gif

- cleaned the grill jsharp.gif
- organized the tools thumb3d.gif
- and I've been 'wrenching and welding' alot to stay in shape welder.gif

type47
aktion035.gif whoo-hooo! i'm looking forward to this. need to PM you for address/directions

driving.gif

PS: what food can i bring?
Dr Evil
If I can un-fuck my car I will be driving it. It is loosing power in the worst way. I think it is fuel, but the fuel filter is NLA and I will need to cobble up a different set up just to change the simple things rolleyes.gif I'll ride the bike if I have to.
VaccaRabite
Mike, you are always welcome to come with me.

Zach
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 12 2007, 07:49 PM) *

Mike, you are always welcome to come with me.

Zach

Ya, but its just not the same sad.gif I'll still go, I just want to drive the damn car before the snow falls.
Johny Blackstain
Root- is it possible to do some very light, aluminum welding?
JPB
Next weekend, the Beater hits the long haul. I was just gonna cut the fenders this weekend to. For shure, I might absolutely make it. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.