Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> PCR's - how do we get them changed?, The active term is "simplify"
Pat Garvey
post Sep 26 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I haven't been on one of my diatribes for months. It's time!
I'm a 34 year PCA memeber. Hyper active for the first 22 years - slouch since then.

Won't go into all the things I did during the early years, but suffice it to say that I was a "player' on a regional & national level for abunch of years. Unfortunately, all of my contacts seem to have also burned out or died. So, now that I'm re-interested, at least from a concours standpoint, what can I do to get these idiotic concours rules simplified?!

I contacted 2 of the PCR Committe members about the rules (no names used here). One had no idea & the other gave me a snobbish response indicating that all proposals would be "taken under advisement", though the current PCR's were deemed to work "perfectly for the masses". Well, I think tha's crap! Not only are the current PCR's scaring away potential participants, but they're nebulus, create too many "feel good" classes, consume huge amounts of judging time, and are a detriment to classic/vintage owners. Take a look at them & try to figure which class you belong to - many of you, like me, will not fit into any class specifically, so you'll have to rely on "someone" to determine where you fit. Which, of course could be overturned at the last moment. In essence, tough to prepare for.

So, my plan is to canvass other similar forums (356, 911,912, 924,etc) to get a pulse on the feelings of those groups. Of course, the World is a part of this & your input is even more important. Once I have a feel for the others, I'll need to come up with the ultimate PCA PCR person to vent on. If anyone knows who that is these days, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

This is how I ("I") would be most happy with the classification & judging....of ALL Porsches at a Parade (I realize that this is open for debate & am happy to debate).

All models(except historical):

Full Concours. 80% of total area potential points for cleanliness, 20% of area potential points associated with originality (in all forms). In all case the bottom of the car is scrutinized under the same criteria. You enter this class, you're saying you're the best. No crying, no whinning. I'm open to COA presentations.

Topside Concours. Same as Full, but the bottom isn't judged. All other criteria inchanged. By the bottom, I mean the undercarriage north & south of the wheel arches, as well as the engine transmission bottoms are not judged. In essance, a driver's class.

Race/Modified. Same as Full, except no deducts for originality (& the potential total points are lowered, so as to exclude it from class/division win). Bottom is judged for cleanliness - if you're a racer, you're bottom will be as slick as a Full car, because ounces = lost speed.

Historic. Factory & Factory supported/condoned cars. No judging - entrants do this by vote.

Lastly, bring back the Manhattan Award for Best in Show. Strictly the realm of the judges and scores. Highest score wins. If the owner has preserved a Porsche to 99% perfection, or if some has restored a Porsche to 99% perfection - the highest score wins. Yeah, I know, money talks. There have been Manhattan Award (now-defunt) winners who've "bought" the win by spending the most to get there. So what! The won. Thier score dictates they should win. If you want it badly enough - go for it! They did away with this award because of whiners! The Best is the Best - I don't care what you did to get there (do I sound like a Capitalist? I am!).

So, those are my classifications. If anyone wants to see my template for judging forms, LMK. I'm open to any & all discussion on my classifications/standards. The key term here is reduction of nebulism (is that a term?) and fairness to all. I've judged Parades before under the old rules & can only imagine what a nightmare it is today - everyone else is enjoying the second half of the day & you're still trudging away. Wouldn't want to be the last car judged in any class.

I'm off on my quest!
Pat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:40 PM