Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Shifter coupling bushing replacement, any tips?, Urgent request! also, firewall bushing question
914rrr
post Oct 4 2007, 06:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 874
Region Association: South East States

I haven't replaced shifter coupling bushings in a long time. Last time I did one, the shop that was pressing the pin back through the rod cracked the cage, and I want to avoid that.

Any tips, tricks, etc. to aid in pushing the pin back in (like chilling the pin, heating the rod end , etc.)?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
toomanyinkc
post Oct 4 2007, 06:58 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,509

QUOTE(914rrr @ Oct 4 2007, 07:24 AM) *

I haven't replaced shifter coupling bushings in a long time. Last time I did one, the shop that was pressing the pin back through the rod cracked the cage, and I want to avoid that.

Any tips, tricks, etc. to aid in pushing the pin back in (like chilling the pin, heating the rod end , etc.)?

Warming/chilling will help and has no downside. I initially tried using a press but it was awkward and had the potential to break the cage if I wasn't careful -- so I used a hammer. I held the rod/cage firmly in one hand and drove the pin in. I did not rest it on an anvil, I just held it. It worked well without a chance of breaking the cage.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 4 2007, 08:12 AM
Post #3

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

LUBE.

Heat and chill the parts should slide in like butter.

I put the fire wall bushing in a coffee cup of water microwave to boiling.
Goes in real nice.
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Oct 4 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 874
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 4 2007, 10:12 AM) *

LUBE.

Goes in real nice.

Thanks for the replies. I actually had an auto repair shop do it for me, as I needed the bearing races pressed in the new front rotors anyway. The service writer (guy who did the work) used to run a Porsche shop.

Joe,
I tried to install the firewall bushing like you described. I heated it up 3 times in a coffee cup, and it wouldn't go in. It didn't really get all that soft, even after nuking it. I then tried to heat it up with a heat gun, and I 'almost' got it in. Is it possible that the bushing is the wrong size, an inferior grade of nylon, etc.?
+Quote Post
angerosa
post Oct 5 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,023
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(914rrr @ Oct 4 2007, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 4 2007, 10:12 AM) *

LUBE.

Goes in real nice.

Thanks for the replies. I actually had an auto repair shop do it for me, as I needed the bearing races pressed in the new front rotors anyway. The service writer (guy who did the work) used to run a Porsche shop.

Joe,
I tried to install the firewall bushing like you described. I heated it up 3 times in a coffee cup, and it wouldn't go in. It didn't really get all that soft, even after nuking it. I then tried to heat it up with a heat gun, and I 'almost' got it in. Is it possible that the bushing is the wrong size, an inferior grade of nylon, etc.?

I didn't use heat - I put mine in as far as I could get it in with my hand and then smacked it in with a hammer. Works fine.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:39 PM