Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter coupling bushing replacement, any tips?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
I haven't replaced shifter coupling bushings in a long time. Last time I did one, the shop that was pressing the pin back through the rod cracked the cage, and I want to avoid that.

Any tips, tricks, etc. to aid in pushing the pin back in (like chilling the pin, heating the rod end , etc.)?
toomanyinkc
QUOTE(914rrr @ Oct 4 2007, 07:24 AM) *

I haven't replaced shifter coupling bushings in a long time. Last time I did one, the shop that was pressing the pin back through the rod cracked the cage, and I want to avoid that.

Any tips, tricks, etc. to aid in pushing the pin back in (like chilling the pin, heating the rod end , etc.)?

Warming/chilling will help and has no downside. I initially tried using a press but it was awkward and had the potential to break the cage if I wasn't careful -- so I used a hammer. I held the rod/cage firmly in one hand and drove the pin in. I did not rest it on an anvil, I just held it. It worked well without a chance of breaking the cage.
Joe Ricard
LUBE.

Heat and chill the parts should slide in like butter.

I put the fire wall bushing in a coffee cup of water microwave to boiling.
Goes in real nice.
914rrr
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 4 2007, 10:12 AM) *

LUBE.

Goes in real nice.

Thanks for the replies. I actually had an auto repair shop do it for me, as I needed the bearing races pressed in the new front rotors anyway. The service writer (guy who did the work) used to run a Porsche shop.

Joe,
I tried to install the firewall bushing like you described. I heated it up 3 times in a coffee cup, and it wouldn't go in. It didn't really get all that soft, even after nuking it. I then tried to heat it up with a heat gun, and I 'almost' got it in. Is it possible that the bushing is the wrong size, an inferior grade of nylon, etc.?
angerosa
QUOTE(914rrr @ Oct 4 2007, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 4 2007, 10:12 AM) *

LUBE.

Goes in real nice.

Thanks for the replies. I actually had an auto repair shop do it for me, as I needed the bearing races pressed in the new front rotors anyway. The service writer (guy who did the work) used to run a Porsche shop.

Joe,
I tried to install the firewall bushing like you described. I heated it up 3 times in a coffee cup, and it wouldn't go in. It didn't really get all that soft, even after nuking it. I then tried to heat it up with a heat gun, and I 'almost' got it in. Is it possible that the bushing is the wrong size, an inferior grade of nylon, etc.?

I didn't use heat - I put mine in as far as I could get it in with my hand and then smacked it in with a hammer. Works fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.