Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rear caliper venting woes, fluid leaking
rascobo
post Oct 5 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,948
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just installed new rear rotor and pad, but now the outer venting screw and lock-nut won't tighten and fluid is leaking from them. Have had this problem before, but can't remember how I resolved it.

rascobo
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
angerosa
post Oct 5 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,023
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rascobo @ Oct 5 2007, 05:00 PM) *

Just installed new rear rotor and pad, but now the outer venting screw and lock-nut won't tighten and fluid is leaking from them. Have had this problem before, but can't remember how I resolved it.

rascobo

I just rebuilt my rear caliper. There's a o-ring that keeps your break fluid from leaking out of the piston chamber into the e-brake mechanism area. venting screw???? hmmm - do you mean the bolt that is the cap for the adjustment screw? Do you mean bleeder valve maybe? Do you mean the adjustment screw won't tighten? If so take the caliper apart and rebuild. Hardest part was having the prper tool to get the retainer C clip out. If you put in new seals and o-rings and grease everything up - it will probably work fine.
+Quote Post
rascobo
post Oct 5 2007, 04:05 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(angerosa @ Oct 5 2007, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(rascobo @ Oct 5 2007, 05:00 PM) *

rascobo

I just rebuilt my rear caliper. There's a o-ring that keeps your break fluid from leaking out of the piston chamber into the e-brake mechanism area. venting screw???? hmmm - do you mean the bolt that is the cap for the adjustment screw? Do you mean bleeder valve maybe? Do you mean the adjustment screw won't tighten? If so take the caliper apart and rebuild. Hardest part was having the prper tool to get the retainer C clip out. If you put in new seals and o-rings and grease everything up - it will probably work fine.

I'm talking about the venting clearance adjusting screw and locking nut.

rascobo
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 5 2007, 04:19 PM
Post #4

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Sounds like a rebuild by Eric Shea is in order. They can be tricky to do correctly. I do them also, but he is on your side of the border.
+Quote Post
rascobo
post Oct 5 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(davep @ Oct 5 2007, 03:19 PM) *

Sounds like a rebuild by Eric Shea is in order. They can be tricky to do correctly. I do them also, but he is on your side of the border.

Thanks, angerosa and davep. I rebuilt the other side a couple years ago, this is probably why.
+Quote Post
rascobo
post Oct 5 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #6

[quote name='rascobo' date='Oct 5 2007, 02:00 PM' post='953817']

rascobo

UH-OH!

Just dismantled caliper in preparation for rebuild and found cause of problem. The adjusting screw has lost its threads where the locknut would normally tighten. As right now it's My only car, if anyone in Portland,Or. has a usable passenger side rear caliper or an adjusting screw their willing to sell please contact me at r.scotbolan@gmail.com or 503-329-2665. Thanks.

rascobo/Scott
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 5 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #7

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Call Eric Shea for parts.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:37 AM