Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear caliper venting woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rascobo
Just installed new rear rotor and pad, but now the outer venting screw and lock-nut won't tighten and fluid is leaking from them. Have had this problem before, but can't remember how I resolved it.

rascobo
angerosa
QUOTE(rascobo @ Oct 5 2007, 05:00 PM) *

Just installed new rear rotor and pad, but now the outer venting screw and lock-nut won't tighten and fluid is leaking from them. Have had this problem before, but can't remember how I resolved it.

rascobo

I just rebuilt my rear caliper. There's a o-ring that keeps your break fluid from leaking out of the piston chamber into the e-brake mechanism area. venting screw???? hmmm - do you mean the bolt that is the cap for the adjustment screw? Do you mean bleeder valve maybe? Do you mean the adjustment screw won't tighten? If so take the caliper apart and rebuild. Hardest part was having the prper tool to get the retainer C clip out. If you put in new seals and o-rings and grease everything up - it will probably work fine.
rascobo
QUOTE(angerosa @ Oct 5 2007, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(rascobo @ Oct 5 2007, 05:00 PM) *

rascobo

I just rebuilt my rear caliper. There's a o-ring that keeps your break fluid from leaking out of the piston chamber into the e-brake mechanism area. venting screw???? hmmm - do you mean the bolt that is the cap for the adjustment screw? Do you mean bleeder valve maybe? Do you mean the adjustment screw won't tighten? If so take the caliper apart and rebuild. Hardest part was having the prper tool to get the retainer C clip out. If you put in new seals and o-rings and grease everything up - it will probably work fine.

I'm talking about the venting clearance adjusting screw and locking nut.

rascobo
davep
Sounds like a rebuild by Eric Shea is in order. They can be tricky to do correctly. I do them also, but he is on your side of the border.
rascobo
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 5 2007, 03:19 PM) *

Sounds like a rebuild by Eric Shea is in order. They can be tricky to do correctly. I do them also, but he is on your side of the border.

Thanks, angerosa and davep. I rebuilt the other side a couple years ago, this is probably why.
rascobo
[quote name='rascobo' date='Oct 5 2007, 02:00 PM' post='953817']

rascobo

UH-OH!

Just dismantled caliper in preparation for rebuild and found cause of problem. The adjusting screw has lost its threads where the locknut would normally tighten. As right now it's My only car, if anyone in Portland,Or. has a usable passenger side rear caliper or an adjusting screw their willing to sell please contact me at r.scotbolan@gmail.com or 503-329-2665. Thanks.

rascobo/Scott
davep
Call Eric Shea for parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.