Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tuna Can Choices
HalM
post Oct 22 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #1

Green Skull 003

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,472
Region Association: None

I am planing on adding a deep oil sump to the 914 for next years DE season. Looking at the PP catalog, there are 2 different ones to choose between. One is listed as aluminum with fins for cooling and is $140'ish. The other is made by Weltmeister for $64'ish. It has no fins and looks like it is made from brass.

Is one clearly better than the other? And how much lower are they than the standard sump? Is my engine case in real danger with one of these as I cross a speed bump?

Advice and comments welcome.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Oct 22 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #2

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I have been running a Tuna can for 3 years on my car with as much as 3 3/4" ride hieght. Not a problem for speed bumps as the sump is even with the wheels so it goes up as the tires roll over bump.

Probably not brass but cadnium plated steel. that's the one I got it works good. I pull 1.3G's sustained (about 2 seconds) on the track through a big turn @ 70 HPH 3rd gear. Never had an oiling problem.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 22 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #3

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

There is also a non-finned aluminum one out there. I have one made by Automotion., but it is NLA.

The "brass" one is steel at Joe said.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:36 PM