Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine Assy Questions - P&C's Alignment
vesnyder
post Oct 24 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

I am in the process of assembling new P&C's onto my motor and Jake's video says the cylinders arrow should point to the flywheel - except on mine there is not an arrow? I have AA P&C's - is there a parrticular alignment I should use? The only marking on the cylinder I see is "STD" stamped on top. Somebody also maked the bottom of the piston with a red marker on the side that is aligned to the non-flat side of the cylinder. Anything I should do or just "bolt them up"?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
type47
post Oct 24 2007, 08:58 AM
Post #2

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

i thought that the "pointing" of the pistons was very important, i think it has something to do with piston slap or the pressure of the piston skirt on the cylinder. i faintly recall that the 2.0L piston pin is offset so as to produce even skirt to cylinder pressure so that one side of the piston doesn't wear more than the other side of the piston. i don't know what the measurements are but if your piston isn't marked as to which side goes toward the flywheel you could measure the distance from the center of the piston wrist pin hole to the 2 opposite sides of the piston. but i don't know what to do with those measurements.

Cap'n ????
+Quote Post
toon1
post Oct 24 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,022

there should be an arrow notop of the "piston" that will point towards the flywheel.

If I recall there is no arrow on the cyl's.
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Oct 24 2007, 09:13 AM
Post #4

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

Not all pistons have an orientation. You might want to contact the manufacturer.
The KBs I got from Jake go either way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
geniusanthony
post Oct 24 2007, 09:32 AM
Post #5

Its a brand new "Chrome-sicle"

Member No.: 5,266
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

In reading the Tom Wilson book about Rebuilding your Aircooled VW engine, I seem to remember that only Type 1's had the orientation marks. Damn now I am thinking back trying to remember if I did this or not when I built mine...
Someone please put my mind at ease on this one...ANd yeah, vesnyders too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Oct 24 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #6

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

When installing my new pistons and cylinders I had the euro pistons. They had and emblem on the pistons that looked like a crankshaft and that emblem was installed with the emblem facing the flywheel on all cylinders
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 24 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #7

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Oct 24 2007, 08:32 AM) *

In reading the Tom Wilson book about Rebuilding your Aircooled VW engine, I seem to remember that only Type 1's had the orientation marks. Damn now I am thinking back trying to remember if I did this or not when I built mine...
Someone please put my mind at ease on this one...ANd yeah, vesnyders too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

That's the rods (and the pistons). T4s have symmetrical rods, so it doesn't matter, but I've never seen a T4 piston that didn't have a mark, and the marks are meant to be used. FWIW, I've not seen every T4 piston ever made, LOL. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Oct 24 2007, 11:09 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

I asked the same question last year when assembling my 1911. The AA pistons are symmetric and can be assembled either way.
+Quote Post
vesnyder
post Oct 24 2007, 02:23 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,933

Thanks! Borderline - very interested in the oucome of your 1911. Did it meet expectations?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:27 AM