Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Assy Questions - P&C's Alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I am in the process of assembling new P&C's onto my motor and Jake's video says the cylinders arrow should point to the flywheel - except on mine there is not an arrow? I have AA P&C's - is there a parrticular alignment I should use? The only marking on the cylinder I see is "STD" stamped on top. Somebody also maked the bottom of the piston with a red marker on the side that is aligned to the non-flat side of the cylinder. Anything I should do or just "bolt them up"?
type47
i thought that the "pointing" of the pistons was very important, i think it has something to do with piston slap or the pressure of the piston skirt on the cylinder. i faintly recall that the 2.0L piston pin is offset so as to produce even skirt to cylinder pressure so that one side of the piston doesn't wear more than the other side of the piston. i don't know what the measurements are but if your piston isn't marked as to which side goes toward the flywheel you could measure the distance from the center of the piston wrist pin hole to the 2 opposite sides of the piston. but i don't know what to do with those measurements.

Cap'n ????
toon1
there should be an arrow notop of the "piston" that will point towards the flywheel.

If I recall there is no arrow on the cyl's.
blitZ
Not all pistons have an orientation. You might want to contact the manufacturer.
The KBs I got from Jake go either way. unsure.gif
geniusanthony
In reading the Tom Wilson book about Rebuilding your Aircooled VW engine, I seem to remember that only Type 1's had the orientation marks. Damn now I am thinking back trying to remember if I did this or not when I built mine...
Someone please put my mind at ease on this one...ANd yeah, vesnyders too biggrin.gif
StratPlayer
When installing my new pistons and cylinders I had the euro pistons. They had and emblem on the pistons that looked like a crankshaft and that emblem was installed with the emblem facing the flywheel on all cylinders
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Oct 24 2007, 08:32 AM) *

In reading the Tom Wilson book about Rebuilding your Aircooled VW engine, I seem to remember that only Type 1's had the orientation marks. Damn now I am thinking back trying to remember if I did this or not when I built mine...
Someone please put my mind at ease on this one...ANd yeah, vesnyders too biggrin.gif

That's the rods (and the pistons). T4s have symmetrical rods, so it doesn't matter, but I've never seen a T4 piston that didn't have a mark, and the marks are meant to be used. FWIW, I've not seen every T4 piston ever made, LOL. The Cap'n
Borderline
I asked the same question last year when assembling my 1911. The AA pistons are symmetric and can be assembled either way.
vesnyder
Thanks! Borderline - very interested in the oucome of your 1911. Did it meet expectations?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.