Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT Help! Looking for a job, An Engineering Co-op or Internship
BahnBrenner914
post Oct 26 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #1

The girl is gone and all I have now is a beat-up teener

Group: Members
From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL
Member No.: 2,094
Region Association: None

Well, due to a scheduling debacle and my current lack of engineering experience, I'm looking for a spring/summer Co-op or Internship.

I'm a Mechanical Engineering Major going for Bachelors, Masters, and a Minor in aeronautical engineering. I'd like to do Automotive Aero, but right now I need experience, cause finding a Co-op that specific is kind of a long shot.

So do any of you engineers have Co-op's at your company, or do you know of an automotive company that I could look into? Thanks for all of your help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
race914
post Oct 26 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #2

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

I might be able to help out.

Go to www.lockheedmartin.com then click on 'careers', then 'college students'

We have an extensive Co-op/intern program.

I've hired quite a few Cal Poly students here on the California Central Coast....
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 26 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(race914 @ Oct 26 2007, 04:16 PM) *

I might be able to help out.

Go to www.lockheedmartin.com then click on 'careers', then 'college students'

We have an extensive Co-op/intern program.

I've hired quite a few Cal Poly students here on the California Central Coast....

Hopefully the good Cal Poly, and not the SLO (in the head) kids (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

CPP > CPSLO

Aaron (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 26 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

NASA Ames Research Center in the Bay Area works with Foothill Junior College, I believe. I don't know of other internship programs there, but at least a couple of friends and co-workers of mine started out as interns and are now working full-time at Ames.

I know that doesn't help with the auto send of things. I am told that finding a school with a strong SAE chapter can help a lot there.

--DD
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Oct 27 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #5

From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL

Thanks, Race914. I had thought of Lockhead, I just hadnt checked them out yet, good to know I have an inside connection though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) .

I've also been looking at AMES and the other NASA centers. I'd like to do Auto Aero, but I'm thinking I should just get into Aero somewhere and get some experience, cause getting straight into Auto Aero is pretty hard.
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Oct 27 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #6

Salsaholic

Member No.: 2,431
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Oct 26 2007, 01:52 PM) *

Well, due to a scheduling debacle and my current lack of engineering experience, I'm looking for a spring/summer Co-op or Internship.

I'm a Mechanical Engineering Major going for Bachelors, Masters, and a Minor in aeronautical engineering. I'd like to do Automotive Aero, but right now I need experience, cause finding a Co-op that specific is kind of a long shot.

So do any of you engineers have Co-op's at your company, or do you know of an automotive company that I could look into? Thanks for all of your help.

Do you have a resume? You can forward it to me at brett.frymire@fcimg.com, and I can show it to the right people. We don't have a co-op program, but we do hire temps, and you can fit into that position.

-- brett
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 27 2007, 02:00 PM
Post #7

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

You might try Boeing ... they're up in your neck of the woods (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

There are several firms who contract with Boeing up there too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Oct 27 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #8

I'm in boeing's web-job-finder thing, but that's somewhat of a long shot I think, cause you're just another resume in the pile. Unless someone on here works for Boeing or knows some people on the inside to get me in the small pile?
+Quote Post
xperu
post Oct 27 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #9

TEXAS

Member No.: 6,213

I work for Worley Parsons (engineeering Firm), I spent many years with So. Cal Edison, they are always looking for young people like youself. There is a serious worldwide shortage of Engineers so you should'nt have any problem. Good luck. Mike
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Oct 28 2007, 10:33 AM
Post #10

Thanks for the tip, keep em coming... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Oct 28 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #11

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(xperu @ Oct 27 2007, 05:07 PM) *

I work for Worley Parsons (engineeering Firm), I spent many years with So. Cal Edison, they are always looking for young people like youself. There is a serious worldwide shortage of Engineers so you should'nt have any problem. Good luck. Mike

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I agree there is a developing worldwide shortage of engineer's. My business is servicing the Power & Utility industry. Most of the engineer's are getting ready to retire & the work force is old. You can't import energy over the pond & energy requirements are growing. With plants & equipment getting old there is a hugh need for qualified people to maintain these plants. I could go on & on, but engineering is the future. My motto: Your future is in your brain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
I would encourage you to look into the Energy & Water field. It's been good to me.

Tom
+Quote Post
Wes V
post Oct 28 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,211

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Oct 27 2007, 12:17 PM) *

I had thought of Lockhead, I just hadnt checked them out yet, good to know I have an inside connection though.

It's "Lockheed"!!
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Oct 28 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #13

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819

I disagree there is a shortage of engineers.

There is a shortage of CHEAP (translated as young) engineers.

When you hit 50 as an engineer, your ass is out the door, and you will have great difficulty in finding another job. Why? you are making the big bucks and corporations are all about dropping costs and young engineers work cheap.

I've seen it time after time after time and then it happened to me. Coming up with the next generation product and about 15 patents for the product didn't help me.

Ken
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 28 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Wes V @ Oct 28 2007, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Oct 27 2007, 12:17 PM) *

I had thought of Lockhead, I just hadnt checked them out yet, good to know I have an inside connection though.

It's "Lockheed"!!
A bit of trivia in the spelling, it was changed to "Lockheed" MANY years ago:

"The Alco Hydro-Aeroplane Company was established in 1912 by the brothers Allan and Malcolm Loughead. This company was renamed the Loughead Aircraft Manufacturing Company and located in Santa Barbara, California.

In 1926, following the failure of Loughead, Allan Loughead formed the Lockheed Aircraft Company (the spelling was changed to match its phonetic pronunciation) in Hollywood, California. In 1929 Lockheed sold out to Detroit Aircraft Corporation."

The Great Depression ruined the aircraft market, and Detroit Aircraft went bankrupt. A group of investors headed by brothers Robert and Courtland Gross bought the company out of receivership in 1932. The syndicate bought the company for a mere $40,000. Ironically, Allan Loughead himself had planned to bid for his own company, but had raised "only" $50,000, which he felt was too small a sum for a serious bid.

In 1934, Robert E. Gross was named chairman of the new company, the Lockheed Corporation, which was headquartered at the airport in Burbank, California. The company remained there for many years before moving to Calabasas, California."
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Oct 28 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #15

Sorry about the spelling of Lockheed, at least I got it right in my cover letter I sent to them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Power generation is also something I'm interested in, espcially some of the new 'green' technologies that are being developed right now. There's a lot of energy out there that we can harness without dirtying up the earth (at least less than coal! sheesh).
+Quote Post
Allan
post Oct 28 2007, 07:50 PM
Post #16

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304

LockHeed sucks a big fat dong as far as I'm concerned.

Assholes....
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 28 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #17

Why not tell us how you really feel, Allan ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
xperu
post Oct 29 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #18

TEXAS

Member No.: 6,213

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Oct 28 2007, 11:33 AM) *

Thanks for the tip, keep em coming... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

My brother works for on of the Washington power companies, Washington Power and Light? anyway he works for them at a dam in Noxon Montana, again the engineering work force is getting older and they need young people. I work in the oil and gas/energy sector and there are not enough engineers. Mike
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Oct 29 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #19

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(xperu @ Oct 29 2007, 07:01 AM) *

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Oct 28 2007, 11:33 AM) *

My brother works for on of the Washington power companies, Washington Power and Light? anyway he works for them at a dam in Noxon Montana, again the engineering work force is getting older and they need young people. I work in the oil and gas/energy sector and there are not enough engineers. Mike

Hi Mike, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
My son is an engineer working for Weatherford Wireline & Loging Services out of Texas & currently in Dubai UAE. He tells me they need young engineer's both in the US & Internationally. I'll say it again look at the energy field.

I also suggest checking into Nuclear energy. The future is bright for Nuclear power plants. You will see more Nuclear power plant in our future. BTW: France generates about 70% of their electrical needs with Nuclear. I know, I know it's France, but Nuclear is really safe.

Tom (not a tree hugger)
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Oct 29 2007, 12:53 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Oct 29 2007, 11:25 AM) *

I'll say it again look at the energy field.

Tom (not a tree hugger)

I'm definately going to look into energy as well, especially cause my gf's dad works for Florida power and light, and working in florida and staying at my gf's place would be sweet. As for being a tree hugger, i'm not a tree hugger (not a fan of splinters) but I dont think we need to mercilessly hack them all down either.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 05:44 AM