Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Help! Looking for a job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BahnBrenner914
Well, due to a scheduling debacle and my current lack of engineering experience, I'm looking for a spring/summer Co-op or Internship.

I'm a Mechanical Engineering Major going for Bachelors, Masters, and a Minor in aeronautical engineering. I'd like to do Automotive Aero, but right now I need experience, cause finding a Co-op that specific is kind of a long shot.

So do any of you engineers have Co-op's at your company, or do you know of an automotive company that I could look into? Thanks for all of your help.
race914
I might be able to help out.

Go to www.lockheedmartin.com then click on 'careers', then 'college students'

We have an extensive Co-op/intern program.

I've hired quite a few Cal Poly students here on the California Central Coast....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(race914 @ Oct 26 2007, 04:16 PM) *

I might be able to help out.

Go to www.lockheedmartin.com then click on 'careers', then 'college students'

We have an extensive Co-op/intern program.

I've hired quite a few Cal Poly students here on the California Central Coast....

Hopefully the good Cal Poly, and not the SLO (in the head) kids smile.gif

CPP > CPSLO

Aaron tongue.gif
Dave_Darling
NASA Ames Research Center in the Bay Area works with Foothill Junior College, I believe. I don't know of other internship programs there, but at least a couple of friends and co-workers of mine started out as interns and are now working full-time at Ames.

I know that doesn't help with the auto send of things. I am told that finding a school with a strong SAE chapter can help a lot there.

--DD
BahnBrenner914
Thanks, Race914. I had thought of Lockhead, I just hadnt checked them out yet, good to know I have an inside connection though pray.gif .

I've also been looking at AMES and the other NASA centers. I'd like to do Auto Aero, but I'm thinking I should just get into Aero somewhere and get some experience, cause getting straight into Auto Aero is pretty hard.
bfrymire
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Oct 26 2007, 01:52 PM) *

Well, due to a scheduling debacle and my current lack of engineering experience, I'm looking for a spring/summer Co-op or Internship.

I'm a Mechanical Engineering Major going for Bachelors, Masters, and a Minor in aeronautical engineering. I'd like to do Automotive Aero, but right now I need experience, cause finding a Co-op that specific is kind of a long shot.

So do any of you engineers have Co-op's at your company, or do you know of an automotive company that I could look into? Thanks for all of your help.

Do you have a resume? You can forward it to me at brett.frymire@fcimg.com, and I can show it to the right people. We don't have a co-op program, but we do hire temps, and you can fit into that position.

-- brett
euro911
You might try Boeing ... they're up in your neck of the woods unsure.gif

There are several firms who contract with Boeing up there too idea.gif
BahnBrenner914
I'm in boeing's web-job-finder thing, but that's somewhat of a long shot I think, cause you're just another resume in the pile. Unless someone on here works for Boeing or knows some people on the inside to get me in the small pile?
xperu
I work for Worley Parsons (engineeering Firm), I spent many years with So. Cal Edison, they are always looking for young people like youself. There is a serious worldwide shortage of Engineers so you should'nt have any problem. Good luck. Mike
BahnBrenner914
Thanks for the tip, keep em coming... icon_bump.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(xperu @ Oct 27 2007, 05:07 PM) *

I work for Worley Parsons (engineeering Firm), I spent many years with So. Cal Edison, they are always looking for young people like youself. There is a serious worldwide shortage of Engineers so you should'nt have any problem. Good luck. Mike

agree.gif
I agree there is a developing worldwide shortage of engineer's. My business is servicing the Power & Utility industry. Most of the engineer's are getting ready to retire & the work force is old. You can't import energy over the pond & energy requirements are growing. With plants & equipment getting old there is a hugh need for qualified people to maintain these plants. I could go on & on, but engineering is the future. My motto: Your future is in your brain. pray.gif
I would encourage you to look into the Energy & Water field. It's been good to me.

Tom
Wes V
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Oct 27 2007, 12:17 PM) *

I had thought of Lockhead, I just hadnt checked them out yet, good to know I have an inside connection though.

It's "Lockheed"!!
Katmanken
I disagree there is a shortage of engineers.

There is a shortage of CHEAP (translated as young) engineers.

When you hit 50 as an engineer, your ass is out the door, and you will have great difficulty in finding another job. Why? you are making the big bucks and corporations are all about dropping costs and young engineers work cheap.

I've seen it time after time after time and then it happened to me. Coming up with the next generation product and about 15 patents for the product didn't help me.

Ken
euro911
QUOTE(Wes V @ Oct 28 2007, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Oct 27 2007, 12:17 PM) *

I had thought of Lockhead, I just hadnt checked them out yet, good to know I have an inside connection though.

It's "Lockheed"!!
A bit of trivia in the spelling, it was changed to "Lockheed" MANY years ago:

"The Alco Hydro-Aeroplane Company was established in 1912 by the brothers Allan and Malcolm Loughead. This company was renamed the Loughead Aircraft Manufacturing Company and located in Santa Barbara, California.

In 1926, following the failure of Loughead, Allan Loughead formed the Lockheed Aircraft Company (the spelling was changed to match its phonetic pronunciation) in Hollywood, California. In 1929 Lockheed sold out to Detroit Aircraft Corporation."

The Great Depression ruined the aircraft market, and Detroit Aircraft went bankrupt. A group of investors headed by brothers Robert and Courtland Gross bought the company out of receivership in 1932. The syndicate bought the company for a mere $40,000. Ironically, Allan Loughead himself had planned to bid for his own company, but had raised "only" $50,000, which he felt was too small a sum for a serious bid.

In 1934, Robert E. Gross was named chairman of the new company, the Lockheed Corporation, which was headquartered at the airport in Burbank, California. The company remained there for many years before moving to Calabasas, California."
BahnBrenner914
Sorry about the spelling of Lockheed, at least I got it right in my cover letter I sent to them! av-943.gif

Power generation is also something I'm interested in, espcially some of the new 'green' technologies that are being developed right now. There's a lot of energy out there that we can harness without dirtying up the earth (at least less than coal! sheesh).
Allan
LockHeed sucks a big fat dong as far as I'm concerned.

Assholes....
euro911
Why not tell us how you really feel, Allan ...

laugh.gif
xperu
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Oct 28 2007, 11:33 AM) *

My brother works for on of the Washington power companies, Washington Power and Light? anyway he works for them at a dam in Noxon Montana, again the engineering work force is getting older and they need young people. I work in the oil and gas/energy sector and there are not enough engineers. Mike
TJB/914
QUOTE(xperu @ Oct 29 2007, 07:01 AM) *

QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Oct 28 2007, 11:33 AM) *

My brother works for on of the Washington power companies, Washington Power and Light? anyway he works for them at a dam in Noxon Montana, again the engineering work force is getting older and they need young people. I work in the oil and gas/energy sector and there are not enough engineers. Mike

Hi Mike, agree.gif agree.gif
My son is an engineer working for Weatherford Wireline & Loging Services out of Texas & currently in Dubai UAE. He tells me they need young engineer's both in the US & Internationally. I'll say it again look at the energy field.

I also suggest checking into Nuclear energy. The future is bright for Nuclear power plants. You will see more Nuclear power plant in our future. BTW: France generates about 70% of their electrical needs with Nuclear. I know, I know it's France, but Nuclear is really safe.

Tom (not a tree hugger)
BahnBrenner914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Oct 29 2007, 11:25 AM) *

I'll say it again look at the energy field.

Tom (not a tree hugger)

I'm definately going to look into energy as well, especially cause my gf's dad works for Florida power and light, and working in florida and staying at my gf's place would be sweet. As for being a tree hugger, i'm not a tree hugger (not a fan of splinters) but I dont think we need to mercilessly hack them all down either.
sean_v8_914
Goodrich aerospace likes to hire the young bloods fresh out of school. they also do intern talent scouting
BahnBrenner914
thanks for the tip!
xperu
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Oct 28 2007, 08:16 PM) *

Sorry about the spelling of Lockheed, at least I got it right in my cover letter I sent to them! av-943.gif

Power generation is also something I'm interested in, espcially some of the new 'green' technologies that are being developed right now. There's a lot of energy out there that we can harness without dirtying up the earth (at least less than coal! sheesh).

I worked for American Electric Power in Columbus Ohio, they are spending around $3B on new scrubber technology in there fossil plant, a Texas utility has submitted papers to build a 3rd nuclear plant in south Texas. We are getting older I'm 60+ but companies are looking for experience, and I make a very good wage. You go for it boy! There is a great future for you in the energy/oil and environmental. The reason we have so many engineers from China, India etc. is because there is a shortage of engineers and technical people in the US and because of this; they are paying very well. I was in the nuclear power business for 25+ years and also the fossil power industry, now I'm working in the oil and gas sector; I never wanted for anything financially, your posting shows your initiative, keep it going and you will go far. Mike
TonyAKAVW
I always thought it was "Lockmart."

Try Northrop Grumman as well. We also have a summer intern program, there's bound to be some website on it smile.gif
BahnBrenner914
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Oct 31 2007, 12:17 PM) *

I always thought it was "Lockmart."

Try Northrop Grumman as well. We also have a summer intern program, there's bound to be some website on it smile.gif

Thanks for the tip
TeenerTim
My company provides contract workers and staff augmentation to the power industry. Check here : DZ Atlantic for open positions.
type11969
Green energy and where I work:

www.oceanpowertechnologies.com

The buoy on that front page is mostly my design and is currently deployed off the cost of NJ. Its seeing the remnants of Noel right now, 2.8m 5sec waves, pretty big for how fast they are. Ocean power is just in its infancy but the potential is huge. Where wind was about 20 years ago . . . We are actually putting a buoy off the cost of Oregon near Reedsport along with buoys in HI, Scotland, and Spain.

Probably a bit of a haul for an internship though.
jd74914
That is really cool Chris. I'll have to read more on that.
type11969
Just don't believe everything you read . . . Power output is laughably small but you gotta crawl before you can run!
BahnBrenner914
yeah, the power output for most, if not all, the renewable energy sources is nowhere near that of hydrocarbon processes, but I guess that's the price you pay for being able to breath and your kids having only two arms, legs, and eyes.
type11969
I meant it more in terms of the power output is ridiculous small compared to other green energies, compared to the amount of energy that goes into the buoy to make it work, and compared to what the CEO states to the public with regards to the buoy's capabilities.

Believe me, I know how green energies compare to oil/coal/etc. Unfortunately as far as most investors and potential customers are concerned, breathing easy and healthy kids factors very little into cost per kilowatt.
BahnBrenner914
yeah, it seems everyone is more concerned with making everything we use more efficient or green, when we should be emphasizing making OURSELVES more efficient and green.

and no not icon8.gif green. av-943.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(BahnBrenner914 @ Nov 4 2007, 10:33 AM) *

yeah, it seems everyone is more concerned with making everything we use more efficient or green, when we should be emphasizing making OURSELVES more efficient and green.

and no not icon8.gif green. av-943.gif

Hey BahnBrenner914,

I don't mean to be cruel, but I think you have milked this to the end.

It's time to go get a job now!! bye1.gif

T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.