Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rust Repair Help Needed, Front Trunk Channel
Chuck
post Oct 26 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #1

What it eventually will look like . . . .

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,632
Region Association: Northstar Region

I'm sure I'm not the only one to see rust in this spot. This is the intersection of the front trunk channel and the front cowl. I have the same issue on both sides. How have others repaired this?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Owensby
post Oct 27 2007, 08:40 AM
Post #2

JoeO

Member No.: 5,385
Region Association: South East States

This is a very hard area to repair. The only way to fix a very rusty area is to cut it out and re-weld in new metal. You may be able to find a donor that has a section you can cut out and weld in. Or, you may cut out only the rusted areas and weld in pieces. In this area, it is hard to get to the bottom of the joint, so it is hard to fix. Goog luck. JoeO
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 27 2007, 08:56 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

we cut out a piece of the fender and then as Joe says fabricate a piece. We have the replacement stamped patch panel in the works but it is not ready yet
+Quote Post
Chuck
post Oct 27 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #4

George,

Any idea when the pieces may be available? If you look at my project thread, I have plenty to do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) and could leave these repairs until towards the end. Plan is to get the hell hole and other repair work done over the winter and paint in the spring.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Oct 27 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #5

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Chuck Why not look for a local hot rod shop in your area. Alot of these type of shops do there own patch panels and wll have the equipment, and knowledge to fabricate most anything that you might need.

I would also look at getting the whole car, or just the araeas that you select either soda blasted or media blasted.
Just a thought..
CCL
+Quote Post
Chuck
post Oct 27 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #6

Craig,

The blasting will be happening in the next couple of weeks. I decided to use Eastwood's biodegradeable stripper for most of the car and then use media stripping for selected areas. This way there was no chance of damage to the panels and you get somehwat better control of the mess.

My brother is a body guy and has professionally restored a number of cars, a couple on the covers of hot rod magazines. He's offered to help with whatever I need including fabrication. He'll also be helping me with the paint in the spring. Just hoping for an easier fix on this portion.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Oct 27 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #7

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

AA does have some of the hellhole pieces that are definetly worth using.
I wish I had a brother like yours.
CCLINONLYCHILD
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 27 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chuck @ Oct 27 2007, 09:58 AM) *

George,

Any idea when the pieces may be available? If you look at my project thread, I have plenty to do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) and could leave these repairs until towards the end. Plan is to get the hell hole and other repair work done over the winter and paint in the spring.

WE have a brand new cowl up there now though we are trying to finish the 914-6 ign unit brackets and a resupply of exterior rocker panels! We are constantly repairing this section in our shop so we too need to get the parts done. Figure next spring though (sooner if the new catalog is successful) If it is successful, we are going to immediately make the new dashes, the new windshield top seals the repro CHEAP factory shift knobs, and the switch symbols including the very rare rear window defroster emblems!
+Quote Post
Chuck
post Nov 5 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #9

[/quote]
We are constantly repairing this section in our shop . . . .
[/quote]

Any photodocumentation of how your guys go about this?
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Nov 5 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #10

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

When I fixed that spot on mine I cut the fender, then bent up the metal in a vise (since its a relatively small length), welded in the patch and then fixed the fender. I don't know how your fender is, but mine was already pretty messed up so cutting it didn't cause too much trauma.
+Quote Post
Chuck
post Nov 5 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 5 2007, 11:52 AM) *

When I fixed that spot on mine I cut the fender, then bent up the metal in a vise (since its a relatively small length), welded in the patch and then fixed the fender. I don't know how your fender is, but mine was already pretty messed up so cutting it didn't cause too much trauma.

My fenders are great. So, a lot of this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) to have to consider cutting them up there. They'll need to be cut to add the steel flairs but that seems relatively easy in comparison to this. Any photos of your repair?
+Quote Post
TeenerTim
post Nov 5 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,253
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 27 2007, 01:48 PM) *

WE have a brand new cowl up there now though ...

It would be nice to just get a left or right corner instead of the entire cowl. I also need to patch a large hole under the master cylinder reservoir. Way down in the corner.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Nov 5 2007, 02:41 PM
Post #13

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Chuck @ Nov 5 2007, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 5 2007, 11:52 AM) *

My fenders are great. So, a lot of this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) to have to consider cutting them up there. They'll need to be cut to add the steel flairs but that seems relatively easy in comparison to this. Any photos of your repair?

Sorry, I just looked and I only have the after re-welding and filling pictures. It wasn't too tough to do, the section was just a PITA. It was one of the last pieces I did because I really didn't want to try working there.

If I was to do it again, I would recommend cutting the cowl off. Then I would fit the metal to the cowl and weld anything you can't get on with the fenders on. After that I would put the cowl back in place and weld the remainder or the seal channel back on.

Its not really a hard repair, just tedious. Good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 11:18 PM