Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust Repair Help Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chuck
I'm sure I'm not the only one to see rust in this spot. This is the intersection of the front trunk channel and the front cowl. I have the same issue on both sides. How have others repaired this?
Joe Owensby
This is a very hard area to repair. The only way to fix a very rusty area is to cut it out and re-weld in new metal. You may be able to find a donor that has a section you can cut out and weld in. Or, you may cut out only the rusted areas and weld in pieces. In this area, it is hard to get to the bottom of the joint, so it is hard to fix. Goog luck. JoeO
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we cut out a piece of the fender and then as Joe says fabricate a piece. We have the replacement stamped patch panel in the works but it is not ready yet
Chuck
George,

Any idea when the pieces may be available? If you look at my project thread, I have plenty to do smile.gif and could leave these repairs until towards the end. Plan is to get the hell hole and other repair work done over the winter and paint in the spring.
boxstr
Chuck Why not look for a local hot rod shop in your area. Alot of these type of shops do there own patch panels and wll have the equipment, and knowledge to fabricate most anything that you might need.

I would also look at getting the whole car, or just the araeas that you select either soda blasted or media blasted.
Just a thought..
CCL
Chuck
Craig,

The blasting will be happening in the next couple of weeks. I decided to use Eastwood's biodegradeable stripper for most of the car and then use media stripping for selected areas. This way there was no chance of damage to the panels and you get somehwat better control of the mess.

My brother is a body guy and has professionally restored a number of cars, a couple on the covers of hot rod magazines. He's offered to help with whatever I need including fabrication. He'll also be helping me with the paint in the spring. Just hoping for an easier fix on this portion.
boxstr
AA does have some of the hellhole pieces that are definetly worth using.
I wish I had a brother like yours.
CCLINONLYCHILD
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Chuck @ Oct 27 2007, 09:58 AM) *

George,

Any idea when the pieces may be available? If you look at my project thread, I have plenty to do smile.gif and could leave these repairs until towards the end. Plan is to get the hell hole and other repair work done over the winter and paint in the spring.

WE have a brand new cowl up there now though we are trying to finish the 914-6 ign unit brackets and a resupply of exterior rocker panels! We are constantly repairing this section in our shop so we too need to get the parts done. Figure next spring though (sooner if the new catalog is successful) If it is successful, we are going to immediately make the new dashes, the new windshield top seals the repro CHEAP factory shift knobs, and the switch symbols including the very rare rear window defroster emblems!
Chuck

[/quote]
We are constantly repairing this section in our shop . . . .
[/quote]

Any photodocumentation of how your guys go about this?
jd74914
When I fixed that spot on mine I cut the fender, then bent up the metal in a vise (since its a relatively small length), welded in the patch and then fixed the fender. I don't know how your fender is, but mine was already pretty messed up so cutting it didn't cause too much trauma.
Chuck
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 5 2007, 11:52 AM) *

When I fixed that spot on mine I cut the fender, then bent up the metal in a vise (since its a relatively small length), welded in the patch and then fixed the fender. I don't know how your fender is, but mine was already pretty messed up so cutting it didn't cause too much trauma.

My fenders are great. So, a lot of this sad.gif to have to consider cutting them up there. They'll need to be cut to add the steel flairs but that seems relatively easy in comparison to this. Any photos of your repair?
TeenerTim
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 27 2007, 01:48 PM) *

WE have a brand new cowl up there now though ...

It would be nice to just get a left or right corner instead of the entire cowl. I also need to patch a large hole under the master cylinder reservoir. Way down in the corner.
jd74914
QUOTE(Chuck @ Nov 5 2007, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 5 2007, 11:52 AM) *

My fenders are great. So, a lot of this sad.gif to have to consider cutting them up there. They'll need to be cut to add the steel flairs but that seems relatively easy in comparison to this. Any photos of your repair?

Sorry, I just looked and I only have the after re-welding and filling pictures. It wasn't too tough to do, the section was just a PITA. It was one of the last pieces I did because I really didn't want to try working there.

If I was to do it again, I would recommend cutting the cowl off. Then I would fit the metal to the cowl and weld anything you can't get on with the fenders on. After that I would put the cowl back in place and weld the remainder or the seal channel back on.

Its not really a hard repair, just tedious. Good luck smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.