Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Richard's progress thread
Richard Casto
post Apr 2 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #101

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(dlo914 @ Apr 1 2009, 11:38 PM) *

Nice welds! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ...what are you using?

Thanks! All I can say is that good welding comes from using the proper technique (having a good teacher) and practice, practice, practice. I am getting much better at welding thin metal. Having the rotisserie help me reduce the amount of "out of position" (such as upside down) welding I have to do. So that helps a great deal.

The welder is a basic 220V Lincoln MIG welder (can't remember the model) using Argon/CO2 Gas and .025 wire. It's the type you would find at a HomeDepot or Lowes for about $650 +/-.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jdogg
post Mar 23 2010, 06:40 AM
Post #102

Member No.: 204

Updates?!?!?
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Mar 23 2010, 07:32 AM
Post #103

QUOTE(jdogg @ Mar 23 2010, 08:40 AM) *

Updates?!?!?

Hey Jason, it's been awhile since we have talked! How is it going? Give me a call or shoot me an email sometime.

It is creeping up on a year since my last post in this thread. 2009 was a rough year for me various reasons so I haven't been working on the car much. Work and other personal stuff had been taking up my time over the past few months. But it seems to have improved recently.

It's actually been a bit embarrassing recently as I really don't have much excuse these days to not work on the car. I have co-workers asking how it's going and just the other day a neighbor said he is looking forward to seeing it done. I have been shamed by enough people recently that it has nudged me into activity. So I actually did work on it for the first time in months this past Sunday. I have started to replace the front left fender that the PO crunched. So expect some updates soon.

Richard
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Mar 25 2011, 12:09 PM
Post #104

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

Hey Richard
Been over a year since an update on this thread. Just wondering -- did you abandon the project or have you made progress?

+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Mar 25 2011, 12:54 PM
Post #105

QUOTE(rwilner @ Mar 25 2011, 02:09 PM) *

Hey Richard
Been over a year since an update on this thread. Just wondering -- did you abandon the project or have you made progress?

Haha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Well, no, I haven't abandoned it, but I have been horrible about doing updates. A number of things (ranging from the death of my dad over a year ago to starting up the transmission repair business about a year ago) has gotten in the way. But I am back working on the car. I just need to update this thread. I also haven't updated my personal website either. I have been waiting to update it as I wanted to convert it to a new content management system. But that is no excuse for not listing updates here.

I will try to get something up in the next few weeks. I bought a newer larger media blasting cabinet awhile back for many reasons. One is to start cleaning transmissions, but I also have some other parts (such as suspension) that wouldn't fit into my older smaller cabinet. I also am about 90% done with welding in a new floor for the front truck area and just a few weeks ago welded on the replacement driver side front fender (the PO had backed his car into it and crumpled it a bit).

I also just bought a Caswell electroplating kit, so I am going to be re-plating a number of parts (including my front/rear calipers that are completely disassembled). I hope to have the platting tanks setup in the next few weeks. I probably will do some small amount of re-plating via Blue Sky Motorsports as well.

Along with getting the calipers and other misc braking parts plated and put back together, I will probably work on finishing up my 911 e-brake setup. My plan has been to use the 928 style cable pull along with the 911 e-brakes. This will require some custom cables, but will not require a bellcrank on the swing arm.

My new goal is to have all bodywork stuff addressed within the next 12 months.

Richard
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Mar 25 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #106

No Ghosts in the Machine

Well, I for one am glad you decided to delay working on the car to start up your transmission business as it got my car back on the road! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I hope to see the car in person some day.
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Mar 25 2011, 01:03 PM
Post #107

QUOTE(rwilner @ Mar 25 2011, 02:57 PM) *

Well, I for one am glad you decided to delay working on the car to start up your (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) transmission business as it got my car back on the road! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I am glad the transmission is working out for you. I saw your thread about the taco plate leak and it sounds like you fixed that. Is the car off the jackstands and on the road now?

Richard
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Mar 25 2011, 01:06 PM
Post #108

No Ghosts in the Machine

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Mar 25 2011, 03:03 PM) *

Well, I for one am glad you decided to delay working on the car to start up your (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) transmission business as it got my car back on the road! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I am glad the transmission is working out for you. I saw your thread about the taco plate leak and it sounds like you fixed that. Is the car off the jackstands and on the road now?

Richard

It was on the ground to run it and make sure all was sorted. It's still tight shifting but if I'm not a pansy with it, the gears are engaging. I'm pretty sure it's the tight new synchros.

I've got it back up in the air now just to check all the fasteners and also replace my rear bumper top. Should happen today and then I should be good to go for the season! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 25 2011, 01:15 PM
Post #109

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

QUOTE(rwilner @ Mar 25 2011, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Mar 25 2011, 03:03 PM) *

Richard

It was on the ground to run it and make sure all was sorted. It's still tight shifting but if I'm not a pansy with it, the gears are engaging. I'm pretty sure it's the tight new synchros.

I've got it back up in the air now just to check all the fasteners and also replace my rear bumper top. Should happen today and then I should be good to go for the season! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Weather and temps have alot to do with shifting on these boxes.
Get it warmed up and it will shifter even better...
You do that by DRIVING it...lol

Rich
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Mar 25 2011, 01:17 PM
Post #110

No Ghosts in the Machine

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 25 2011, 03:15 PM) *

You do that by DRIVING it...lol

I'm just waiting for it to stop snowing.

ENOUGH SNOW ALREADY
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 25 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #111

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Today only...get out there.

Rich
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 08:19 AM