Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone have the location for a hood crest, May or may not do it
jonferns
post Nov 16 2007, 04:26 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

its your car...do as you please...why even ask? in the end it is your decision. -JON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Nov 16 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,896
Region Association: None

I think there are an awful lot of examples of poor taste here.

I never thought a hood crest was one of them.

Put it on there if you like it. Hell get a little one from a 356 and put that on there, get an old one (period correct orange) get a new one. Get a repo.

Quit spinning over what others might think about your car. It is your car. AND its not a Honda... enjoy yourself...

+Quote Post
shelby/914
post Nov 16 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 4,655
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Actually wasn't seeking permission or approval, just measurements or photos to confirm placement, and the Bird link shows that. Have a great 914 day to all. For any Colorado folk who might read this, We are tearing down the old hydraulic lifter motor tomorrow morning at Kevin's.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Nov 16 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #24

Can I get this one dad??

Member No.: 7,987

QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Nov 16 2007, 02:45 PM) *

Actually wasn't seeking permission or approval, just measurements or photos to confirm placement, and the Bird link shows that. Have a great 914 day to all. For any Colorado folk who might read this, We are tearing down the old hydraulic lifter motor tomorrow morning at Kevin's.

Cool, post pics!
+Quote Post
johnlush
post Nov 16 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #25

What's all this then?

Member No.: 2,108
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hi Danny!

I haven't seen the Pelican article but the one that the PO put on my '70 is up 11cm from the hood edge to the lower point of the crest. That is higher than the factory placed crest on a short-hood 911 which is up 8cm. Part of the reason the 914 crest location is higher is to avoid the underside support, me thinks. The ones that I have seen that look terribly out of place are mounted way too high.

John
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Nov 16 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #26

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Danny -
I used the same vintage pics shown here to place mine. I drew a line between the tops of the headlight eyebrows and that is the height of the bottom of the crest.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 16 2007, 08:14 PM
Post #27

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

"Unless you're a CW or racing (and being paid to promote through sponsorship) I can't see a reason to blemish the beautiful lines of our cars...Who do you need to impress? If someone needs to see a badge to be impressed with your 914, you don't want their approval....If they don't know what it is without it...same goes. Real sports car people recognize our cars...and respect them. Other than that only the owner has to be impressed....and you can't read the stickers and badges when you're driving...."

One of the better rants I've seen.... BUT, a CW would NEVER suggest that you put a Porsche badge on the hood, because it isnt original. I've yet to see a "professional" CW making money by putting a badge on the hood. In fact, I've never met a professional CW, whatever that may be.

As to the original poster's question about placement - what placement? You can put it wherever you like, because there is NO template (because, it was never mounted in the first place, except for 1 or 2 factory cars). You can put it in the front center, in the upper left or right corner, on the bumper, on the windshield, etc - doesn't matter because it's bogus wherever you put it.

My mini-rant over!
Pat
+Quote Post
John
post Nov 16 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #28

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

I apologize before I even begin.

Anyone easily offended, please leave the room. Political incorrect content follows.

You have been warned.

Pansies, Pansies, Pansies.

I was glad to read that a couple actually attempted to answer the question on topic instead of dragging it Way Way off topic.

I believe that you should build your car the way you want it and others (who don't share your ideas) can PISS OFF.

I like the answer where you strike a line between the lower joint of the headlights.

The placement on the black car looks nice.

I have seen many that look well placed, but I have seen a few that seem to be placed way too high and they look odd.

If you really are going to drill holes in your hood, please lay it out with masking tape first and really look at it carefully before the holes are put in there.

I thought about putting one on my car once, but they cost too much and don't make it any faster, so I have procrastinated and still haven't purchased one.

I like them either way, but it is your car and you have the final say.
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Nov 16 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #29

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Nov 16 2007, 07:57 AM) *

The easiest way to get a rise out of people around here is discuss badges and reflectors.

I think I underestimated my own comment..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

A 911 badge is 3.5 inches from the bottom of the hood and where I set mine.....
+Quote Post
flesburg
post Nov 16 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 3,162

I happen to like the hood crest on a 914. Nobody had them !!!!!!!!!!

My 914 DE car does not have one, but I might put a 2' tall vinyl crest on it, and put black car numbers on it!!!

I took the one off of my 911 !!!!!!!!!! Everyone has one.

PRS914-6:

I think the black car is the prettiest thing I have ever seen. Takes a GREAT Body guy to dare to paint one black. Just Beauuuuutiful. WoW.
+Quote Post
woobn8r
post Nov 16 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 7,435

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 16 2007, 09:14 PM) *

"Unless you're a CW or racing (and being paid to promote through sponsorship) I can't see a reason to blemish the beautiful lines of our cars...

One of the better rants I've seen.... BUT, a CW would NEVER suggest that you put a Porsche badge on the hood, because it isnt original. I've yet to see a "professional" CW making money by putting a badge on the hood. In fact, I've never met a professional CW, whatever that may be.

Pat, I use the term "CW" with the utmost in respect....

But I wasn't limiting to just a hood badge....engine lid letters, displacement badges,stickers of all kinds...all of it detracts from a cars aesthetics IMHO.(hard to clean properly too). Some badging ABSOLUTELY belongs on concours vehicles....and it's racers that get the $$$ for company logo's....maybe a tribute vehicle would be okay i.e. Gulf Weyer or Martini tribute....as it's just a little to hard to buy a 917 and drive it on the street.

But let's remember...sometimes less IS more....y'now..."elegant".

And sorry if I didn't post measurements...Pat"s right! it's your car...put whatever you want where ever you want...or don't....just don't do it to impress anyone other than yourself. Hey, how about a VW logo on the hood...nobody has that!
+Quote Post
orange914
post Nov 16 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #32

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Nov 16 2007, 07:57 AM) *

They never came on the car originally. Either did big brakes, big motors, fancy gauges, aftermarket seats or custom exhaust systems but most everyone here does so without a thought and I see no difference.

My opinion......do what you like, enjoy your car and build it the way YOU like. The exception would be a Concours car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) do it the way you like it!
by the way prs914-6 that is really a k.o. of a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
mike
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 16 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #33

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 16 2007, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 16 2007, 09:14 PM) *

"Unless you're a CW or racing (and being paid to promote through sponsorship) I can't see a reason to blemish the beautiful lines of our cars...

Pat, I use the term "CW" with the utmost in respect....

But I wasn't limiting to just a hood badge....engine lid letters, displacement badges,stickers of all kinds...all of it detracts from a cars aesthetics IMHO.(hard to clean properly too). Some badging ABSOLUTELY belongs on concours vehicles....and it's racers that get the $$$ for company logo's....maybe a tribute vehicle would be okay i.e. Gulf Weyer or Martini tribute....as it's just a little to hard to buy a 917 and drive it on the street.

But let's remember...sometimes less IS more....y'now..."elegant".

And sorry if I didn't post measurements...Pat"s right! it's your car...put whatever you want where ever you want...or don't....just don't do it to impress anyone other than yourself. Hey, how about a VW logo on the hood...nobody has that!

C'mon - no harm, no foul. In jest, though I like the idea of the VW badge on the hood! I have one that's 8 inches in diameter - think it would look tacky? Again, all in jest!

Pat
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Nov 17 2007, 10:22 AM
Post #34

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 16 2007, 06:17 AM) *

I second that! Porsche never cared enough for the 914s to add a hood badge so why should we??

Because we like it? That should be reason enough. A very smart man told me never to argue about taste, which over the years has proven to be excellent advice.

Looking at the flip side of that thought if we're not permitted to modify our cars as we please it means we all have no alternative but to be CW's. With all due respect, no thanks.

Pat, again with all due respect, put the VW insignia wherever your particular taste dictates it's most pleasing.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 17 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #35

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I think the fact that Porsche delivered Mr. Porsche on his 60th birthday the 914-8 with a badge on it says it all to me.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Nov 17 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 7,438

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 17 2007, 12:46 PM) *

I think the fact that Porsche delivered Mr. Porsche on his 60th birthday the 914-8 with a badge on it says it all to me.

Didn't I read somewhere he didn't care for that particular car? Couldn't be the crest, could it?

biz
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 17 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #37

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

I think it is something like 3.5" up from center for the tip... Read it on the Bird board a year or so back. Check there.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 17 2007, 02:03 PM
Post #38

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Nov 17 2007, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 17 2007, 12:46 PM) *

Didn't I read somewhere he didn't care for that particular car? Couldn't be the crest, could it?

biz

I doubt it, up to that time it was the fastest street car Porsche ever produced.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 06:30 PM