Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have the location for a hood crest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shelby/914
My car is going in for paint next week and I may put a Porsche crest on it. I would like to see some pictures or measurments of where others have placed them. And yes I know they did not come with one but it may look good on a black car.
johannes
Best place for the crest is ... on your desk ...

My opinion.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 16 2007, 02:14 AM) *

My opinion.

I second that! Porsche never cared enough for the 914s to add a hood badge so why should we??
Krimee Ariver
pelican or ebay wink.gif
JRust
I've seen a few on the back between the tailights. I kinda liked that
PRS914-6
The easiest way to get a rise out of people around here is discuss badges and reflectors. Kinda like talking about what oil is best.... biggrin.gif

They never came on the car originally. Either did big brakes, big motors, fancy gauges, aftermarket seats or custom exhaust systems but most everyone here does so without a thought and I see no difference.

My opinion......do what you like, enjoy your car and build it the way YOU like. The exception would be a Concours car.

Since you want to see it on a black car.....
Click to view attachment

And those nasty reflectors too..... stirthepot.gif

Click to view attachment
woobn8r
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 16 2007, 04:14 AM) *

My opinion.

agree.gif ...Okay, I know you didn't ask for it, but here comes my little rant...

Why do we need logo's and badges on everything? Did you forget what kind of car you drive and need a reminder? Are we so insecure in life we need to wear a badge that advertises our joining the masses? ..."Levis" Jeans, "Nike" shoes, "Harry Rosen" and even "Crocs"......I always thought it was funny when the guy with the 2.5 foot "Rockford-Fosgate" sticker on his windshield had his stereo stolen....It pays to advertise.

We seem to have sold out to the great Marketing machine....we advertise their stuff and we PAY for the privilidge! Just look at most of the "ricers" and how many logos you can count on them....

One of the great things about the 914 is the fact that this fantastic car had "questionable" linneage in the PORSCHE snob circles....(hence the whole NARP thing)...this meant that all the "posers" had to buy 911s to get the prestige of the Marque....(I think this was at it's zeinth in the "80s Disco era). Many people still must stand behing a PORSCHE badge to prove they are a "real sports car person"....In my eye anyone can buy a PORSCHE....not everyone has the true passion for one.

I suppose some people buy thier 914 to tell others they own a PORSCHE...personally, I could care less who made it, as It is a fantastic fun car that grants many "smiles per hour"....the fact that it is a Porsche/VW is a quiet understatement that gives me personal peace of mind...

So should the emphasis of our cars be a hood badge or a sticker...maybe it should be a well maintained sports car with clean lines, purposeful modifications and obvious care that speaks to our passion? You decide.

Unless you're a CW or racing (and being paid to promote through sponsorship) I can't see a reason to blemish the beautiful lines of our cars...Who do you need to impress? If someone needs to see a badge to be impressed with your 914, you don't want their approval....If they don't know what it is without it...same goes. Real sports car people recognize our cars...and respect them. Other than that only the owner has to be impressed....and you can't read the stickers and badges when you're driving....

Okay...I'm done headbang.gif ....YMMV.
dr914@autoatlanta.com

This is an absolutely FABULOUS rant.

QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 16 2007, 09:03 AM) *

My opinion.

agree.gif ...Okay, I know you didn't ask for it, but here comes my little rant...

Why do we need logo's and badges on everything? Did you forget what kind of car you drive and need a reminder? Are we so insecure in life we need to wear a badge that advertises our joining the masses? ..."Levis" Jeans, "Nike" shoes, "Harry Rosen" and even "Crocs"......I always thought it was funny when the guy with the 2.5 foot "Rockford-Fosgate" sticker on his windshield had his stereo stolen....It pays to advertise.

We seem to have sold out to the great Marketing machine....we advertise their stuff and we PAY for the privilidge! Just look at most of the "ricers" and how many logos you can count on them....

One of the great things about the 914 is the fact that this fantastic car had "questionable" linneage in the PORSCHE snob circles....(hence the whole NARP thing)...this meant that all the "posers" had to buy 911s to get the prestige of the Marque....(I think this was at it's zeinth in the "80s Disco era). Many people still must stand behing a PORSCHE badge to prove they are a "real sports car person"....In my eye anyone can buy a PORSCHE....not everyone has the true passion for one.

I suppose some people buy thier 914 to tell others they own a PORSCHE...personally, I could care less who made it, as It is a fantastic fun car that grants many "smiles per hour"....the fact that it is a Porsche/VW is a quiet understatement that gives me personal peace of mind...

So should the emphasis of our cars be a hood badge or a sticker...maybe it should be a well maintained sports car with clean lines, purposeful modifications and obvious care that speaks to our passion? You decide.

Unless you're a CW or racing (and being paid to promote through sponsorship) I can't see a reason to blemish the beautiful lines of our cars...Who do you need to impress? If someone needs to see a badge to be impressed with your 914, you don't want their approval....If they don't know what it is without it...same goes. Real sports car people recognize our cars...and respect them. Other than that only the owner has to be impressed....and you can't read the stickers and badges when you're driving....

bbrown
Don't do it.
GWN7
At least two 914's came from the factory with the badge.........

Why not them all?...It has been proposed that it added to the base price of the car. If the new owner wanted it added the dealer could put it on for a extra fee.

It's your car do what you want.......just remember to not park it where kids with screwdrivers hang out............ beerchug.gif
rigglet
I don't normally weigh in on these philosophical debates, but I guess I am feeling saucy today.

While I understand what the purists feel about making changes to the car, I also think you should do what you like. After all...it's your car.

My car has the hood crest. I will be starting my complete restoration next year and have debated about whether or not to keep it. I understand that they didn't come with one, but I like it. I think it makes the front of the car look even better. But I also like some of the front and rear spoilers, the rear reflector and some of the other non-standard badging.

I think ultimately you need to take the stance that it is your car, your time, your money. Do with it what you like. aktion035.gif
race914
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 16 2007, 08:03 AM) *

My opinion.

Click to view attachment

woobn8r
QUOTE(race914 @ Nov 16 2007, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 16 2007, 08:03 AM) *

My opinion.

Click to view attachment

av-943.gif
highways
Ok, so I'm hijacked.gif someone else's pic from another thread, but this actually looks good to me. And when i change my mind after a few years I'm not up shit creek without a paddle...

The second best place might be on a zinc plated chain that you can wear around you neck, bling bling stylee!

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
PUT THE CREST DOWN! STAND AWAY FROM THAT 914!
914pwer
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Nov 16 2007, 07:57 AM) *

The easiest way to get a rise out of people around here is discuss badges and reflectors. Kinda like talking about what oil is best.... biggrin.gif

They never came on the car originally. Either did big brakes, big motors, fancy gauges, aftermarket seats or custom exhaust systems but most everyone here does so without a thought and I see no difference.

My opinion......do what you like, enjoy your car and build it the way YOU like. The exception would be a Concours car.

Since you want to see it on a black car.....
Click to view attachment

And those nasty reflectors too..... stirthepot.gif

Click to view attachment

do it i will
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._hood_crest.htm
E-Man
Here it is (with no opinion):

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._hood_crest.htm

shelby/914
agree.gif

That is one of the best looking 914s I've seen. and yes I already have one of those nasty reflectors. It was on the car when I got it and it's staying. Already have one very stock toy, the blue one in the avatar. Wow you wouldn't think a little crest would stir the pot soooo much when 6 conversions and 5lug conversions and even flares are all ok. But it was all in good fun and it will always be a NARP.
Twise
QUOTE(E-Man @ Nov 16 2007, 01:01 PM) *

You beat me to it. I just dug that 411 out for this poor soul...

I am not gonna run one, but only for the purposes of pissing off my father: who just gets so riled up about the stoopid hood crest. His car had one, but he worked at a dealership and they installed them for who ever wanted one. I think the car is fine "sans-crest". However, there is one on my momo wheel. Making me a hypo-porsche crest-acrite. There labeled...
stephenaki
[/quote]

I second that! Porsche never cared enough for the 914s to add a hood badge so why should we??
[/quote]

Cause the wife told me she wanted the crest on it? blink.gif I personally like the crest besides, the car I bought already has one from the PO. I may have to buy a new one from you though based on the condition it is in! biggrin.gif
jonferns
its your car...do as you please...why even ask? in the end it is your decision. -JON biggrin.gif
dflesburg
I think there are an awful lot of examples of poor taste here.

I never thought a hood crest was one of them.

Put it on there if you like it. Hell get a little one from a 356 and put that on there, get an old one (period correct orange) get a new one. Get a repo.

Quit spinning over what others might think about your car. It is your car. AND its not a Honda... enjoy yourself...

shelby/914
Actually wasn't seeking permission or approval, just measurements or photos to confirm placement, and the Bird link shows that. Have a great 914 day to all. For any Colorado folk who might read this, We are tearing down the old hydraulic lifter motor tomorrow morning at Kevin's.
stephenaki
QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Nov 16 2007, 02:45 PM) *

Actually wasn't seeking permission or approval, just measurements or photos to confirm placement, and the Bird link shows that. Have a great 914 day to all. For any Colorado folk who might read this, We are tearing down the old hydraulic lifter motor tomorrow morning at Kevin's.

Cool, post pics!
johnlush
Hi Danny!

I haven't seen the Pelican article but the one that the PO put on my '70 is up 11cm from the hood edge to the lower point of the crest. That is higher than the factory placed crest on a short-hood 911 which is up 8cm. Part of the reason the 914 crest location is higher is to avoid the underside support, me thinks. The ones that I have seen that look terribly out of place are mounted way too high.

John
Scott S
Danny -
I used the same vintage pics shown here to place mine. I drew a line between the tops of the headlight eyebrows and that is the height of the bottom of the crest.
Pat Garvey
"Unless you're a CW or racing (and being paid to promote through sponsorship) I can't see a reason to blemish the beautiful lines of our cars...Who do you need to impress? If someone needs to see a badge to be impressed with your 914, you don't want their approval....If they don't know what it is without it...same goes. Real sports car people recognize our cars...and respect them. Other than that only the owner has to be impressed....and you can't read the stickers and badges when you're driving...."

One of the better rants I've seen.... BUT, a CW would NEVER suggest that you put a Porsche badge on the hood, because it isnt original. I've yet to see a "professional" CW making money by putting a badge on the hood. In fact, I've never met a professional CW, whatever that may be.

As to the original poster's question about placement - what placement? You can put it wherever you like, because there is NO template (because, it was never mounted in the first place, except for 1 or 2 factory cars). You can put it in the front center, in the upper left or right corner, on the bumper, on the windshield, etc - doesn't matter because it's bogus wherever you put it.

My mini-rant over!
Pat
John
I apologize before I even begin.

Anyone easily offended, please leave the room. Political incorrect content follows.

You have been warned.

Pansies, Pansies, Pansies.

I was glad to read that a couple actually attempted to answer the question on topic instead of dragging it Way Way off topic.

I believe that you should build your car the way you want it and others (who don't share your ideas) can PISS OFF.

I like the answer where you strike a line between the lower joint of the headlights.

The placement on the black car looks nice.

I have seen many that look well placed, but I have seen a few that seem to be placed way too high and they look odd.

If you really are going to drill holes in your hood, please lay it out with masking tape first and really look at it carefully before the holes are put in there.

I thought about putting one on my car once, but they cost too much and don't make it any faster, so I have procrastinated and still haven't purchased one.

I like them either way, but it is your car and you have the final say.
PRS914-6

The easiest way to get a rise out of people around here is discuss badges and reflectors.

I think I underestimated my own comment..... blink.gif

A 911 badge is 3.5 inches from the bottom of the hood and where I set mine.....
flesburg
I happen to like the hood crest on a 914. Nobody had them !!!!!!!!!!

My 914 DE car does not have one, but I might put a 2' tall vinyl crest on it, and put black car numbers on it!!!

I took the one off of my 911 !!!!!!!!!! Everyone has one.

PRS914-6:

I think the black car is the prettiest thing I have ever seen. Takes a GREAT Body guy to dare to paint one black. Just Beauuuuutiful. WoW.
woobn8r
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 16 2007, 09:14 PM) *

"Unless you're a CW or racing (and being paid to promote through sponsorship) I can't see a reason to blemish the beautiful lines of our cars...

One of the better rants I've seen.... BUT, a CW would NEVER suggest that you put a Porsche badge on the hood, because it isnt original. I've yet to see a "professional" CW making money by putting a badge on the hood. In fact, I've never met a professional CW, whatever that may be.

Pat, I use the term "CW" with the utmost in respect....

But I wasn't limiting to just a hood badge....engine lid letters, displacement badges,stickers of all kinds...all of it detracts from a cars aesthetics IMHO.(hard to clean properly too). Some badging ABSOLUTELY belongs on concours vehicles....and it's racers that get the $$$ for company logo's....maybe a tribute vehicle would be okay i.e. Gulf Weyer or Martini tribute....as it's just a little to hard to buy a 917 and drive it on the street.

But let's remember...sometimes less IS more....y'now..."elegant".

And sorry if I didn't post measurements...Pat"s right! it's your car...put whatever you want where ever you want...or don't....just don't do it to impress anyone other than yourself. Hey, how about a VW logo on the hood...nobody has that!
orange914

beerchug.gif do it the way you like it!
by the way prs914-6 that is really a k.o. of a 914 smilie_pokal.gif
mike
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Nov 16 2007, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 16 2007, 09:14 PM) *

"Unless you're a CW or racing (and being paid to promote through sponsorship) I can't see a reason to blemish the beautiful lines of our cars...

Pat, I use the term "CW" with the utmost in respect....

But I wasn't limiting to just a hood badge....engine lid letters, displacement badges,stickers of all kinds...all of it detracts from a cars aesthetics IMHO.(hard to clean properly too). Some badging ABSOLUTELY belongs on concours vehicles....and it's racers that get the $$$ for company logo's....maybe a tribute vehicle would be okay i.e. Gulf Weyer or Martini tribute....as it's just a little to hard to buy a 917 and drive it on the street.

But let's remember...sometimes less IS more....y'now..."elegant".

And sorry if I didn't post measurements...Pat"s right! it's your car...put whatever you want where ever you want...or don't....just don't do it to impress anyone other than yourself. Hey, how about a VW logo on the hood...nobody has that!

C'mon - no harm, no foul. In jest, though I like the idea of the VW badge on the hood! I have one that's 8 inches in diameter - think it would look tacky? Again, all in jest!

Pat
DBCooper
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 16 2007, 06:17 AM) *

Because we like it? That should be reason enough. A very smart man told me never to argue about taste, which over the years has proven to be excellent advice.

Looking at the flip side of that thought if we're not permitted to modify our cars as we please it means we all have no alternative but to be CW's. With all due respect, no thanks.

Pat, again with all due respect, put the VW insignia wherever your particular taste dictates it's most pleasing.
iamchappy
I think the fact that Porsche delivered Mr. Porsche on his 60th birthday the 914-8 with a badge on it says it all to me.
orthobiz
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 17 2007, 12:46 PM) *

I think the fact that Porsche delivered Mr. Porsche on his 60th birthday the 914-8 with a badge on it says it all to me.

Didn't I read somewhere he didn't care for that particular car? Couldn't be the crest, could it?

biz
ConeDodger
I think it is something like 3.5" up from center for the tip... Read it on the Bird board a year or so back. Check there.
iamchappy
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Nov 17 2007, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 17 2007, 12:46 PM) *

Didn't I read somewhere he didn't care for that particular car? Couldn't be the crest, could it?

biz

I doubt it, up to that time it was the fastest street car Porsche ever produced.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.