Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOT (But vehicle related): Motorcycle Suggestions, Not quite the fuel economy I want from my 914
Brando
post Nov 19 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #1

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

We all know fuel prices are going to orbit and don't intend to re-enter for a very long time. Fuel costs for commuting are starting to give me pangs for a more fuel efficient mode of transportation.

Right now, with 195/60/15 rear tires I get roughly 32MPG all highway, 28-30 hybrid city/highway. Well-tuned 1.8 injection. I remember with taller 195/65/15 tires I was getting 35-37mpg highway, 30-34mpg city/highway. Unfortunately, that isn't enough.

I've b een looking at motorcycles, and not counting single-cylinder engine motorcycles, I've been looking at a a Suzuki SV 650. Not the S with the faring, but the naked version. Appearantly the 1999-2003 model gets 45-55mpg, later versions getting about 40-50. It's a pretty light bike, 650cc engine (i'm a light guy at 150#) with adequate torque/hp for me and a passenger.

What's making this appealing to me is the market value on early SV650's... $800-$3000 varying in mileage and condition.

Wikipedia Link

I'm looking for suggestions from members who own or have owned motorcycles in the past as to a fairly new, reliable (read: not harley) and mild displacement motorcycle that isn't going to rape me on insurance and will get pretty decent mileage. My affordability is probably not more than $2000, since it will take me at least 2-4 months (after getting more income) to save for one. And then there's gear, insurance, licensing, etc. I'm only considering the cost of the motorcycle at this time.

I figure with the wide array of characters we have here, I'll get a few good responses...

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Nov 19 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,604

QUOTE(Brando @ Nov 19 2007, 08:27 PM) *

We all know fuel prices are going to orbit and don't intend to re-enter for a very long time. Fuel costs for commuting are starting to give me pangs for a more fuel efficient mode of transportation.

Right now, with 195/60/15 rear tires I get roughly 32MPG all highway, 28-30 hybrid city/highway. Well-tuned 1.8 injection. I remember with taller 195/65/15 tires I was getting 35-37mpg highway, 30-34mpg city/highway. Unfortunately, that isn't enough.

I've b een looking at motorcycles, and not counting single-cylinder engine motorcycles, I've been looking at a a Suzuki SV 650. Not the S with the faring, but the naked version. Appearantly the 1999-2003 model gets 45-55mpg, later versions getting about 40-50. It's a pretty light bike, 650cc engine (i'm a light guy at 150#) with adequate torque/hp for me and a passenger.

What's making this appealing to me is the market value on early SV650's... $800-$3000 varying in mileage and condition.

Wikipedia Link

I'm looking for suggestions from members who own or have owned motorcycles in the past as to a fairly new, reliable (read: not harley) and mild displacement motorcycle that isn't going to rape me on insurance and will get pretty decent mileage.

I figure with the wide array of characters we have here, I'll get a few good responses...

Thanks!

Just to play a little bit of devils advocate... If you plan on keeping your 914 then the additional insurance cost will make it a long term proposition for you to realize any savings from doing this. If your daily commute is sufficiently far enough to recognize the savings quickly then are you sure you want to be doing it on a bike?

+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Nov 19 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Brando,
My ride for the past 15 years has been this '89 Suzuki GS500E. Think of it as the 914 of bikes. Relatively inexpensive to own and operate, fairly easy to wrench on yourself (owing in no small part to its 2 cylinder configuration and lack of fairing-on the early models only.) The insurance for me (Ohio resident, 60 years old, no accidents, riding since 1966 is......$60/yr (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

But the real attraction is how well the bike handles (914 analogy again). Though it doesn't have the power of a 600 or 750, owing to its light weight and excellent frame, it handles very well. A well ridden GS500E will make up in the corners what it might have to give away on a long straight. Most riders of the larger sport bikes can't safely handle all the power that they have and really can't explore the limits of their brakes either.
The GS in stock form has some relatively easy and inexpensive upgrades that can really enhance its handling properties as well. Again, like the 914, the answer is tires and suspension. I've fitted Dunlop Sport Demons recently and added progressive springs in the forks. You'll notice in the second photo, the plastic side panels are removed. I prefer the visual honesty of an engine and a well designed frame to be out in the open, rather than having a bunch of plumbing that's been designed to be hidden behind plastic.

For a lot more GS500E information, check out the website GStwin.com

Paul

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 20 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #4

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I am a big fan of old BMW /6 bikes, but the breaks leave a little to be desired in stock form. A /7 model like an R75/7 would do you well and they are tanks. However, you cant beat the availability of parts and bikes that he old Jap bikes offer. I think the above would be a great starter bike for ya. PLEASE, take the 1800CCRIDER safety class. Things to consider for your insurance and mileage, smaller displacement = better fuel economy and lower rates, plus they tend to be cheaper. You can get 60mi/gal on a 250 pretty easily...but can you out run the semi when entering the freeway? 500-750 are a good choice. A 750 cruiser like my old 82 Honda Magna was a great first bike. I used to ride it from SF to SD and it cost me $1000 used in great condition. For gear, I always got the HJC helmets. They are comfy, light and about $100. I have tested many HJC helmets in traffic battles and they have held up fine. Also regarding the insurance, when they ask you the engine size, if it is 748cc tell them that as it will land you under the 750cc prices for coverage. I used to do that with my 750 (748cc) Magna.
Good luck and be safe!
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Nov 20 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #5

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

I just got my sportster back after a long trip back home. (for the bike)

You can have it cheap. MUST USE RACE FUEL...!!!!!

Will smoke dam near any ricer. Including Busas. It will be going on E-Bay like next week.

Gets about 16 MPG of C-16 if you just idle around town.

It also gets about 1/2 gallon per mile if you are on it.......

I know you need this.. I know you want it. I know you will fit the bike.

And I only want 18K for it........

You coming by tomorrow with a check...?????????????????????????????

NOTE: Do you have a motorcycle drivers license? Do you know how to ride? Have you ever dumped a bike in traffic? Are you on crack...?????

Love and kisses,

Claytonobitch
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Nov 20 2007, 12:37 AM
Post #6

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

Interesting, I am selling my dirt bike and probably going to get a dual sport. Specifically a DR650.
Wanna' buy a big, bad dirt bike?
See it here.. http://www.grubbenterprises.com

Note:
some dual sport singles use two carbs. one used primarily and the second one used from 3/4 throttle and up. they get great mileage when used conservatively.
55MPG for the XT550!!

Good luck.
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Nov 20 2007, 06:05 AM
Post #7

Can I get this one dad??

Member No.: 7,987
Region Association: None

Hmm, I had a 80's Suzuki GS650 once, got great mileage. My bike now however only gets about 35 mpg which isn't too bad considering its a 1500. I would say that the 600 - 800 cc range are your best bang for the buck on mileage.

I wasn't worried about mileage when I bought this one.
Attached Image
99 Kawaski Drifter, no it didn't come painted like that and yes the exhaust is aftermarket.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Nov 20 2007, 06:35 AM
Post #8

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

Honda Hawk GT 650. Great bike, Al frame, single sided swing arm. I've seen guys rape much faster bikes in the twisties on these. They flat out rail when set up right.

Check out this link http://www.hawkgt.com/

Heres one thats been slightly tricked out...

(IMG:http://www.hawkgt.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/10111/current%20Hawk.jpg)
+Quote Post
Thack
post Nov 20 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,182

Brando, if it's Japanese, they are all reliable. Stay away from the Korean and Chinese knock-offs. For ultimate fuel mileage you should stay under 650cc. If you buy one too small, they lack power for entrances to freeways. The best safety feature on a bike is to accelerate out of a trouble spot. If you buy an older bike, get one that had high production numbers so parts are easy and cheap to find. The Hawk is cool but are often raced and harder to source parts now. The SV650s are great.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Nov 20 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #10

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Nov 19 2007, 10:30 PM) *

Will smoke dam near any ricer. Including Busas.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 20 2007, 11:00 AM
Post #11

I love the Hawks, but I agree that they are not the easiest bike to get cheap (at least when I was looking).

Mopeds get 100mpg (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Diesel bikes get 100-120mpg, but you have to build them yourself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
root
post Nov 20 2007, 11:36 AM
Post #12

Two Wheeled Type4 Completed!

Member No.: 2,026

TYPE IV is the way to go boys.....

Current estimate is > 50 MPG! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 20 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #13

Ya, insure that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Nov 20 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

SV650 and the GS500 are great bikes to use for commuting. And they are new enough not to be a hassle getting parts, which is nice! (I have two 400cc bikes and parts for them are tough to come by).
The Hawk GT is a great bike too, my brother has one, but it's a bit older so you'll have to look harder for parts, compared to the SV650. (also, that bike is WAY more modded than 'slightly', but worth it in every mod).
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 20 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #15

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Hey Doc don't you have a bike for sale............... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) HINT HINT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Brando
post Nov 20 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #16

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks everyone for your input. I will price a GS500 as well. I really don't need over 700CCs for a bike.

Mike,
I have taken the CC1800 course before, but that was at least 5 years ago. I'll definitely do it again, and get the class M license.

I am still open to reccommendations!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 20 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #17

Oh ya, DUH!

Here is a tank of a bike that is fuel injected (another good thing to have). 750cc 3cyl, shaft (which I prefer), yadda, yadda. I can make you a deal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (seriously, its at CAMP914 in OR and ready to go to a good home!)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Nov 20 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #18

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 20 2007, 08:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Nov 19 2007, 10:30 PM) *

Will smoke dam near any ricer. Including Busas.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

9.83 at 138 mph in the 1/4. On a 9.80 index
(Second fastest sportster pass in 2002 AHDR)
Driver weighs in at 139Lbs. (Thanks pee wee)

Whatchoo got that will beat it....????????????

Clayton
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Nov 21 2007, 02:34 AM
Post #19

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

I would probably get something like a 250cc four stroke bike if you can find one. Did they sell Ninja or katana 250's over there. I am presently in Japan right now and they have so many 250 four stroke bikes and they are so cool. They use to sell CBR250's here that looked incredible and revved to 20,000RPM, they had Katana 250, Kawasaaki Ninja ZXR250, Yamaha FZR250 and so many more. Very cheap and reliable bikes and still enough power to beet almost any normal car and have decent fuel mileage.

I am riding a NSR250 (two stroker) its been tuned up a bit and its not getting the best mileage and requires high octane gas plus the oil it burns is pricey too.

These bikes would probably be gray-market bikes on your part but still something to think about.
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Nov 21 2007, 02:41 AM
Post #20

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

I was just thinking, if fuel costs are your biggest concern you should consider a mini bike, or perhaps a scooter or maybe even a moped.....of course an actual bicycle would be best as it goes nothing, but hard to ride everyday....

I bought this cool little Honda XR100 (mini motard construction) bike here in Japan earlier this year, its got this cool little 100cc air cooled 4 stroke engine and gives about 10HP but weighs like 75KG or so and is quite fun to ride. As fast as a 914 2.0 off the line to about 80km/h, I use it for commuting to work a couple of times a week instead of the car when weather is good. It gets about 50 kms to one liter of gas. (Sorry I'm metric), insurance cost me 77 dollars a year and 5 bucks to fill up and it last 3 weeks or so.

Heres a picture for you, it gets lots of attention and is so fun to ride.
(IMG:http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/kuwahara/other/motard1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/kuwahara/other/motard2.jpg)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:49 AM