Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I got it running and driving!, $750. driver......well, now its a $1100. driver
roadster fan
post Nov 21 2007, 11:27 PM
Post #1

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,184
Region Association: Northern California

Finally took the new car for a spin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Picked it up a couple of months ago for $750. It was missing two injectors and the air cleaner, battery was shot, but everything else was there.

I purchased some used FI parts, rebuilt the front and rear brakes, rebuilt the pedal cluster, replaced the speedo cable, welded the clutch tube in the tunnel, welded a reinforcement plate at the firewall for the clutch tube, replaced the all fuel lines, took the fuel pump apart to remove varnish keeping it from working, removed fuel tank and replaced with used one I had after I saw the condition (rust) of it. I am sure there are a few more little things I did and forgot about.

It is a 71 with a rattle can silver oxidized paint job and a decent sized dent in the driver's side door. Hell hole is great, center tunnel has some surface rust, longs look good but am going to remove rockers this weekend probably to inspect further. Needs new tires, and some light bulbs but runs great. The rear window needs to be resealed as it rattles, but I have the materials for that ready to go.

It has an interesting interior that I will take pics of, definitely from the 80's, you will know what I mean when I post pics.

I started to call it the "can of worms" due to all the little projects it required. I finally decided to get it drivable, and I will deal with the little problems as I go. Oh, and I have continued to repair rust etc. on the 73 tub that sits on jack stands.
WooHoo two projects! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I will post more pics, but here is one my wife took as I returned from the spin around the neighborhood.

Jim

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
KaptKaos
post Nov 22 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #2

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Nice work and good find!
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Nov 22 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #3

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Member No.: 3,095
Region Association: None

Good job!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 22 2007, 01:11 AM
Post #4

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Awesome score! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Nov 22 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #5

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That is the perfect teemer to make a sleeper. None perfect bodies are often over look, but on the AX course they generally rock. Nice pick up.
+Quote Post
markb
post Nov 22 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #6

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Well done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
jasons
post Nov 22 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #7

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

Whattup with that Chevy 3100 in the background? I got a real weak spot for those and the more patina the better.
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Nov 23 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,604

Thats awesome! 1100 bucks for a driver, cant beat that.
+Quote Post
roadster fan
post Nov 23 2007, 12:35 AM
Post #9

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks for all the comments.

Jason the truck has been in my neighbors family for along time. Runs good and he uses it to haul stuff to the dump. He used it for many years as a work truck, and he just mentioned recently that he is gonna start repairing some rust in the bed so he can keep using it.

Two years ago when I was moving in and bringing my 73' 914 to its new home in the garage on jack stands, my neighbor's wife commented that the disease must be contagious referring to the rusting vehicles on our part of the block (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Update: fixed the loose rear window today on the 71, thanks to Eric Shea and one of his great how-to's in the classic forum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) .

Jim
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:06 PM