Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I got it running and driving!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roadster fan
Finally took the new car for a spin. piratenanner.gif Picked it up a couple of months ago for $750. It was missing two injectors and the air cleaner, battery was shot, but everything else was there.

I purchased some used FI parts, rebuilt the front and rear brakes, rebuilt the pedal cluster, replaced the speedo cable, welded the clutch tube in the tunnel, welded a reinforcement plate at the firewall for the clutch tube, replaced the all fuel lines, took the fuel pump apart to remove varnish keeping it from working, removed fuel tank and replaced with used one I had after I saw the condition (rust) of it. I am sure there are a few more little things I did and forgot about.

It is a 71 with a rattle can silver oxidized paint job and a decent sized dent in the driver's side door. Hell hole is great, center tunnel has some surface rust, longs look good but am going to remove rockers this weekend probably to inspect further. Needs new tires, and some light bulbs but runs great. The rear window needs to be resealed as it rattles, but I have the materials for that ready to go.

It has an interesting interior that I will take pics of, definitely from the 80's, you will know what I mean when I post pics.

I started to call it the "can of worms" due to all the little projects it required. I finally decided to get it drivable, and I will deal with the little problems as I go. Oh, and I have continued to repair rust etc. on the 73 tub that sits on jack stands.
WooHoo two projects! biggrin.gif

I will post more pics, but here is one my wife took as I returned from the spin around the neighborhood.

Jim

Click to view attachment
KaptKaos
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Nice work and good find!
hwgunner
Good job!!!!!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Rand
Awesome score! smilie_pokal.gif
PeeGreen 914
That is the perfect teemer to make a sleeper. None perfect bodies are often over look, but on the AX course they generally rock. Nice pick up.
markb
Well done! pray.gif
jasons
Whattup with that Chevy 3100 in the background? I got a real weak spot for those and the more patina the better.
LarryR
Thats awesome! 1100 bucks for a driver, cant beat that.
roadster fan
Thanks for all the comments.

Jason the truck has been in my neighbors family for along time. Runs good and he uses it to haul stuff to the dump. He used it for many years as a work truck, and he just mentioned recently that he is gonna start repairing some rust in the bed so he can keep using it.

Two years ago when I was moving in and bringing my 73' 914 to its new home in the garage on jack stands, my neighbor's wife commented that the disease must be contagious referring to the rusting vehicles on our part of the block smile.gif

Update: fixed the loose rear window today on the 71, thanks to Eric Shea and one of his great how-to's in the classic forum aktion035.gif .

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.