Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Orange 75 project, Clutch and Shifter setup
my928s4
post Apr 3 2010, 06:37 PM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,018
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Apr 3 2010, 02:26 PM) *

Fantastic work so far! You sir are a hero. An inspiration to me to just get out and get on with it! I like your systematic way of tackling jobs a little bit at a time making sure to do it right without getting worn out and frustrated i.e. taking breaks to watch F1. Can't wait to get one started myself and plan on using your posts for reference. Thanks for the confidence. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Kind words, thankyou, feedback from you and everyone else keeps me motivated also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yes I find the need to take a break once in a while, keeps the sanity.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Apr 3 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #142

So the goal of assembling the front suspension was squashed when I needed different struts and I find this week they are on backorder till the end of April (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I assembled what I could which is enough to balance the car on the trolley so I can ditch the spare wheels in the trunk.

Looks empty in here, needs a sway bar for sure!

Attached Image

It was nice to get these parts out of the basement and onto the car!!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Spent time today prepping the trunk for paint, still needs more elbow grease but coming along.

Attached Image

My new goals are to get the front trunk and engine bay complete, if I can get that done by end of April then when i get the suspension in I can think about getting the brakes hooked up. We shall see.....

+Quote Post
my928s4
post Apr 24 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #143

Getting the hang of the new gun and the color, certainly lots of difficult areas to get good coverage on.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I have the rear shox kit so I can weld in the brackets, next up is the engine bay and rear trunk.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post May 8 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #144

Rear trunk and engine bay painted, thinking how nice it must be to spray some flat panels ... running low on paint though. After I used the last of the toner they had I went back and they are going to try and get it from another store rather than try and match with the new unleaded formula.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Going to be out of town for a bit so nice to make a bit more progress.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 10 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #145

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

L20E, so pretty! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
my928s4
post May 11 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #146

So finally got the correct Koni inserts for my Koni struts yesterday, was thinking I should wait to assemble but could not resist doing something with the new parts. All went together great except for the backing plate, I thought there was something wrong as it interfered with the rotor. After messing around for an hour finally figured out they were just bent, bit of tweaking and all is good.

Just need some tie rod ends and some wheels and it wil be a roller !!

When I was over at Renegade a couple of weeks back they had a car with the 17" Fuchs and they looked great, on my shopping list.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Jun 20 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #147

Been out of town on a couple of trips so not much progress until this weekend, off on vacation in a couple of weeks too so good time to get some work on the car done!

I purchased some weld in nutserts for the foglamp, worked out pretty well and with those in place I could paint the front valance.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Also painted the passenger side door opening and the lower valance, finally getting the hang of the smaller gun so I can lay the paint on smooth without running.

Attached Image

Attached Image

While I was picking up more orange from the paint ship I bought some satin black, thought it would do for the interior, gas tank, rocker covers and other sundries.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Got some parts on order but my next goal is to get the brake system all hooked up, I have the replacement hard lines which should be fun. Hopefully I can work out where the old lines went, been a while since I removed them!!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Aug 14 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #148

It has been a while, lots of smaller projects going on with the car which compete with vacations and projects around the house.

Finished re-bushing the pedal cluster, I got lucky with the pin, considering the condition I thought I was in for a fight but couple of taps with a BFH and it all came apart.

Before:

Attached Image

After:

Attached Image

I also took apart the shifter and replaced the upper sleeve, otherwise apart from cleaning it all looked pretty good.

Attached Image

Getting the brake system operational has been a goal for a while, it is all pretty much together and am waiting on the bulkhead grommets for the tubes from the resorvoir. Seems they are on backorder for the moment, once I have those I can finish.

Handbrake assembly in:

Attached Image

Handbrake cable and rear brake tubes hooked up:

Attached Image

Painted the rocker panel on the drivers side:

Attached Image

Started work on the doors, all stripped of hardware except the lower hinge which is proving resilient. Was going to get these blasted but had some left over stripper so what the hell.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Aug 16 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #149

So had to add this photo, some parts make it feel like you actually have a car rather than a bunch of parts and the addition of the steering wheel did it for me. I was waiting on a new upper steering column bearing which arrived tonight, I had managed to get the lower bearing from a local retailer. Both of the bearings were toast.

Attached Image

I ordered the spring (Item No 7 in the pic below) as I thought I mine was missing but it did not seem to fit. Any ideas?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Aug 29 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #150

I was cleaning up the seat brackets, thinking just a quick clean would be OK, ended up dismantling and prepping parts for paint and plating. This thing is a disease ...

Also tried bleeding the brakes but fluid leaked from where the front brakes go to the master cylinder, I had 2x12mm copper seals and one needs to be a 10mm. Back to waiting for parts.

So the progress on the doors in these pics shows a day an half worth of work, my arms and fingers hurt but at least I spent the time outside. Perfect weather and the dust isn't in the garage.

As you can see I managed to get one of the bottom hinges off, the last one is being real stubborn, I think an air hammer might work.

Drivers door had more rust at the bottom then the passenger and a couple of places need a bit of welding where the arm rest attaches as the metal is fractured.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Black22
post Aug 29 2010, 09:44 PM
Post #151

Member No.: 8,290

First...I'm not a fan of Orange. That being said, that car IS and is GOING to be BEAUTIFUL! WOW! I wish I had the space, time and $$$$ to go that deep into rest. You should be very proud! Tired but proud! Great work. I'll be watching this until your done. I'm jealous. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Sep 17 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #152

QUOTE(Black22 @ Aug 29 2010, 08:44 PM) *

First...I'm not a fan of Orange. That being said, that car IS and is GOING to be BEAUTIFUL! WOW! I wish I had the space, time and $$$$ to go that deep into rest. You should be very proud! Tired but proud! Great work. I'll be watching this until your done. I'm jealous. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Thanks, still have to wonder sometimes whether it is ever going to get done, be nice to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) but still got my imagination.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Sep 17 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #153

Finally got the brakes to a point where they are not bad, still some air in there but good enough for now. Took an AGE to get some of the air out, the long tube method is the way to go .... the wife and kids were taking a beating.

Attached Image

Also rebuilt the CV joints, one is toast though, nasty wear mark. Remember regreasing the ones on the 928 and all the mess, same all over again!

Can see the wear mark below

Attached Image

Got a nice package Wednesday, my 17" replica Fuchs arrived.

Rears fit great

Attached Image

Going to need spacers at the front though, 1.5".

Attached Image

Good news is that the tire to fender gaps are the same from side to side, was worried that those fenders may have had some variability but looks like I am good as far as that goes.
+Quote Post
Derek Seymour
post Sep 17 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #154

Member No.: 10,151
Region Association: Southern California

Why is this website the shit?

Example A your honor.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

+Quote Post
arkitect
post Sep 18 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #155

Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Chris,
Great pics and description, your car is looking better than new, excellant job.

Dave
+Quote Post
charliew
post Sep 18 2010, 05:36 AM
Post #156

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Nice job and good attention to detail.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Sep 26 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #157

Thanks for all the comments, it helps keep progress going!

Found some Dynamat I had left over from when I did the 928 so decided to use it and clear some shelf space!

Attached Image

Looks like we have one last week of good weather before fall hits us so decided to get some painting done while we are still above 70F.

First job was to clean out the windscreen channel, the black sealant is tough but a few application of paintstripper and then the wire wheel did the job. Sealed the rusty areas with a suitable converter

Attached Image

Attached Image

Epoxy and 2K Primer finished the job.

Attached Image

Out with the epoxy and paint for the inside of the doors, the outside also got a final coat of 2K primer.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Also painted the seal channel in front of the windscreen.

Attached Image

Finally painted the drivers side door jamb, decided to mask the VIN sticker, came out OK except for some minor bleeding which I will see if I can remove. If not no big deal.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cj Honeycutt
post Sep 26 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #158

Member No.: 12,020
Region Association: Southern California

Looks like you got yourself a real project... good luck
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 27 2010, 08:36 AM
Post #159

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Nice to see some pictures.

Love how detailed you are getting inside the doors, trunks etc.

Looks great!
+Quote Post
andrewb
post Sep 27 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #160

Member No.: 11,762
Region Association: None

Love what you're doing Chris, I'm right behind you.

Attached Image

For years I've been looking at my car and thinking it was all too much but now -a little bit at a time - I've starting doing things. What I like about your thread is that I keep 'seeing' my car and 'my' bits of rust in your pictures - it's that damned orange paint -which I'm also removing bit by bit but I won't be putting it back.

I have a question - those little 'rust spiders' - what do you do with them ?

Attached Image

I've been giving them a hard time with a wire brush on an angle grinder until there's not much more than a bit of discolouration but I'm now wondering whether I should keep going till even that has gone. What do you reckon ? If I don't get rid completely will they come back ?

Cheers, Andrew

PS Where did you visit in England ?
+Quote Post

16 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 06:32 AM