Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Orange 75 project, Clutch and Shifter setup
IM101
post Jan 5 2013, 01:56 AM
Post #261

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,367
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Chris! the axles are finally in! they will be headed your way Monday!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Feb 3 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #262

Member No.: 8,018

QUOTE(IM101 @ Jan 4 2013, 11:56 PM) *

Chris! the axles are finally in! they will be headed your way Monday!

Finally got around to assembling, the EMPI shafts were the wrong spline count, who would have thought they would make them different to OEM ... oh well some used ones should be on their way this week.

I did transfer the 914 ends onto the new shafts, once the Subie ends come I can get them mounted.

Attached Image

I also read that I may need to add an extra couple of quarts to the gearbox to replace the left over volume from all the parts removed ... makes sense, I guess someone was having problems with bearing noise with the conversion.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Feb 15 2013, 03:00 AM
Post #263

Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

Wow Chris,
I haven't seen what you've been up to in a long time, great progress!
All your work is so clean and I love the orange.

I see you got the Romraider and Ecuflash fired up. That is so nice to just turn off the codes that don't apply. Later, you can take it out and log some runs.

I look forward to see that first drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 15 2013, 06:43 AM
Post #264

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thanks for the heads up on those CV's...almost bought a set of EMPIs myself. Better buy some used ones from NASIOC.....
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Feb 15 2013, 09:41 PM
Post #265

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Feb 15 2013, 01:00 AM) *

Wow Chris,
I haven't seen what you've been up to in a long time, great progress!
All your work is so clean and I love the orange.

I see you got the Romraider and Ecuflash fired up. That is so nice to just turn off the codes that don't apply. Later, you can take it out and log some runs.

I look forward to see that first drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks for the feedback, on the drive ... you and me both!
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Feb 15 2013, 09:45 PM
Post #266

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 15 2013, 04:43 AM) *

Thanks for the heads up on those CV's...almost bought a set of EMPIs myself. Better buy some used ones from NASIOC.....

Well glad I saved you from the same fate.

I got my used parts today, here are the used OEM

Attached Image

And here are the EMPI's, very similar construction to the Porsche ones.

Attached Image

I will get some grease, boots, clean up the old casings and get these assembled and on the car.

Earlier in the week my little helper was installed. Wish I had got this earlier on, would have made all the work to the underside soooo much easier.

Attached Image

An underside shot just because I could.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
my928s4
post Feb 25 2013, 09:36 PM
Post #267

Was waiting on the new boots before assembling, came into local parts store yesterday and with the car on the lift took no time to remove from the car, place the Subie end on, grease and reassemble then put back on the car.

Boot clamps that came with the boot kit were useless so need to get some better one.

Now I can figure out the clutch cable routing, mock up a bracket and then order the new clutch cable with modified length.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Type 47
post Jul 7 2013, 08:19 PM
Post #268

Member No.: 11,790
Region Association: None

In the "914 info" section under paint codes it shows there is no Signal Orange for MY 1975...obviously there was in 75' Is yours an early 75?
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jul 8 2013, 11:59 AM
Post #269

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Jul 7 2013, 10:19 PM) *

In the "914 info" section under paint codes it shows there is no Signal Orange for MY 1975...obviously there was in 75' Is yours an early 75?

My 75 is Nepal orange L20C and it looks pretty close to what his car has ended up being, perhaps a little darker.
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Aug 7 2013, 10:56 PM
Post #270

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738

QUOTE(my928s4 @ Oct 7 2012, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(rohar @ Oct 6 2012, 10:21 PM) *

It's comming along nicely. If you've got some time, stop by the track tomorrow. I'm fielding the Teutonic Turd and there's a lot of great people to meet out there.

Could not make it happen today but you chose perfect weather! Were you out with Scott Adere and gang?

QUOTE(charliew @ Oct 7 2012, 02:20 PM) *

My advice is a little late but did you look at the pickup real close to see if the pan contacted it when it was dented in? The pickups seem to be easily cracked where they are brazed or silver soldered on the flange where they bolt on the block. The pan to pickup clearance is real close when it's all stock and it doesn't take much to bump the pickup. Nasioc has a few threads on the cracked pickup. I have added a brace on all the pickups we are using at my house to try and stop any vibration.

You may well be right on the pickup, I checked to make sure the brace was straight but did not check the joint for cracks, I was cranking the engine yesterday and did not see oil pressure so looks like sump will come off again.

See the attached pic for the location for the rear sensor, this was from NASIOC.

Chris,
What was the final verdict in the location of the SPEEDHUT Oil pressure sensor location?
I am trying to figure out how to install mine.
Please elaborate if you can about what you did and if you have any pics?

The car looks awesome BTW!

Nate
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Aug 8 2013, 11:13 AM
Post #271

QUOTE(Zaney @ Aug 7 2013, 08:56 PM) *

Chris,
What was the final verdict in the location of the SPEEDHUT Oil pressure sensor location?
I am trying to figure out how to install mine.
Please elaborate if you can about what you did and if you have any pics?

The car looks awesome BTW!

Nate

Thanks Nate wish I had made more progress but will get back to it this fall, need to sort clutch cable and still waiting on a shifter solution!!

On the oil pressure it was fine I just needed the engine to start, cranking did not budge the oil pressure for whatever reason. So the Speedhut sensor works fine, will see if I have more pictures of the sensor tonight.

Update: See post 239 for the picture of the oil pressure sender.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Aug 16 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #272

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342

Holy mother of crap is this a good thread.

I'm about to do another 914, and definitely doing a Subie this time. I don't know about all the body panel work though. I'm 1/2 tempted to order fiberglass replacements for all 4 corners, as well as the hood and trunk. For the $1,500 it'll cost me, that's a lot of time/energy I WON'T have to worry about this time.

Thanks for the thread. I know it's a ton of work, and can appreciate finding "one more thing" to do before you finish with a section.
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Aug 16 2013, 10:27 AM
Post #273

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

LOVE THIS THREAD but one question:

Are you going to pull the engine cradle and paint it, or are you leaving it raw for a reason?
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 15 2014, 02:57 PM
Post #274

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Any updates?
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Jan 19 2014, 01:03 PM
Post #275

OK time to make some progress with this project, I spent most of last year distracted with another car which is somewhat of a relation to the 914. Did a Euro delivery and had a blast, at the moment it makes working on the 914 a little more difficult as the garage is somewhat tight for space but with some dry weather I can shuffle things around.

Attached Image

So yesterday I dropped the engine, sucks to have to go backwards but I need to get the cradle powder coated and finish up the sheet metal after I cut the opening in the trunk. Also need to permanently route the fuel lines and tidy up the wiring plus a bunch of other things. I made a list yesterday, that helps.

OK Engine out. Only took an hour or so, hope it goes back it as easily.

Attached Image

This is how I left the outer corners in the trunk, pretty rough cut.

Attached Image

And after I cleaned it up a bit.

Attached Image

Now I need to figure out the best way to close all of this up, I am temped to have a removable access panel in the trunk just in case.

A small start but feels got the enthusiasm going especially with Ian's cable shifter making progress!
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 20 2014, 08:21 PM
Post #276

Great build.

I've got all the same stuff from Ian, so I'm using this as a reference on how to put everything together. ;-)

I'm back and forth on how much to cut out of the trunk, and if I leave an access port. I'm also not sure if I flip the intake manifold.

Carry on...

Oh, and that's a bad-ass Cayman!
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Jan 25 2014, 06:38 PM
Post #277

Well the powder coating company was on form, dropped off parts Monday ready to pick up Wednesday, great service. Even mentioned he had not seen me for a while and then we talked car stuff for another 20mins.

Attached Image

Got the boost gauge mounted under the dash, the PTFE tubing they give out in the kit is less impressive so might find a better solution. I could have got the boost added to the speedo looking back but too late for that now.

Attached Image

Mounted the metal fuel lines against the bulk head, got these from a local place last year, comes with push fit connections and the right type of hose.

Attached Image

Started some fabrication on the rear trunk but need some metal supplies, also got some o-rings for the welder, was having issues with intermittent gas flow and found a pinched o-ring.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Jan 26 2014, 06:49 PM
Post #278

Having put now o-rings in the welder the thing works like a champ, it made a bit of a dogs dinner out of my exhaust welds the way it was before. Now can only blame myself for crappy welds and I am definitely rusty.

OK so wanted to support the trunk somehow plus provide an edge to bolt an access panel. Used some angle I had and the thing is rock solid, no need to seam weld this so just tacked in various places and will seam sill it to finish it off.

Attached Image

Attached Image

So I wanted to box in the corners in the engine bay, did not come out as nicely as I had hoped but once all buttoned up no one will see it.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Next I need to add a flat piece to tie the two panels together and provide an edge on the side.

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 27 2014, 12:38 AM
Post #279

I'm watching how much you're cutting out, so I can see how much I'll have to do too.

I had the idea to make a removable cover, with a pieceunderneath on a hinge. That'd let me keep the computer and such in the trunk. Not sure though.

Great progress. Keep at it!
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Jun 14 2014, 02:21 PM
Post #280

OK another long break, arrival of shifter cables has got me motivated again. Finished up the sheet metal in the engine bay, added a top support to anchor the removable panel which I will work on later. With restricted access and all the extra plumbing on the WRX I did not want to loose this opening.

Primed painted and undersealed so can let that dry for a while, also mounted the battery tray.

Nice to see some hydraulic clutch solutions in the other subaru threads so I will be working on that this week and then get the engine back in.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

16 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:06 AM