Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Orange 75 project, Clutch and Shifter setup
my928s4
post Jun 17 2014, 08:46 AM
Post #281

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,018
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was originally going to modify the Subaru clutch for a cable but with recent excellent solutions posted by others for the hydraulic setup I am going down that route.

Willwood setup is on its way but I am pretty sure I don't have room for it as my coolant house is in that area, the Civic unit is much more compact and I think it will work. Later this week when I get back in the garage I will know for sure.

Someone at work was kind enough to make the bracket I need, the Clevis joint that came with the Civic unit may need to be replaced with one that has more reach also.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 17 2014, 09:31 AM
Post #282

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looks nice Chris! The Civic master will definitely work, Bob has used it. What size are the threads on that? This is the clevis we used on the Wilwood:

Clevis

It's 5/16...

+Quote Post
my928s4
post Jun 17 2014, 10:07 AM
Post #283

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 17 2014, 07:31 AM) *

Looks nice Chris! The Civic master will definitely work, Bob has used it. What size are the threads on that? This is the clevis we used on the Wilwood:

Clevis

It's 5/16...

Thanks!, the Civic is M8 so this might work

M8 Clevis
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Jul 4 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #284

Got the new clevis and looks like it will be better than the one that came with the Slave.

Attached Image

That is the good news, bad news is that the bracket I have will not work, the clearance with the coolant hose is making this a challenge. I mocked up a template.

Attached Image

I need to rotate the master cylinder clockwise by a few degrees so the lower mounting hole is raised.

Attached Image

You can see the how much material needs to be removed on the next bracket compared to the one I have.

Attached Image

I have the engine harness all wrapped now, engine can go back in which will tidy up the clutter on the garage floor.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Have been looking for a while for tight radius 180 degree silicone hose for the intercooler connection but no luck, however, found these Cobra heads which will do the job nicely (need to trim the pipe obviously).

Attached Image

+Quote Post
my928s4
post Jul 7 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #285

Got the engine back in, hot sticky weather here so waited till the evening but feels good to have it back together. Just bolted in for now, will get it all hooked up next time.

Attached Image

Clutch Master Bracket #3, I think this one is going to work. Fingers crossed.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Sep 9 2015, 02:43 PM
Post #286

My situation has changed and after this project has languished for too long maybe someone else can finish it off. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed getting it to this point (priceless) and how saddened I am not to be able to finish it but sometimes you have to move on and I hope I bought some entertainment to the people who have followed this.

Orange 75 Project For Sale
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 9 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #287

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sorry to see you go Chris. Top notch build. Great job, really enjoyed following it. Hope it's finished to the same high quality standards.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Sep 9 2015, 09:47 PM
Post #288

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ah,..Thats a damn shame,..the work on this car is unbelievable to say the least,..and I wish, I could have seen it completed myself...!!!
Would have been gorgeous ..!!!
+Quote Post
flmont
post Sep 9 2015, 09:49 PM
Post #289

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

And I have learned a few things aswell,....Thanks ,..928,...Frank
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Jun 8 2016, 05:16 PM
Post #290

Member No.: 19,325
Region Association: None

I am the new owner of Chris's 914 Subie conversion. I have started getting a bit more active on the board doing some research and developing a plan. The current plan is to put the car in the body shop for some block sanding, chassis stiffening and paint. It is going in the first week of July and is expected back six weeks later. Chris had painted the trunks, engine compartment and jams in orange (I believe L20-E). I will paint he car the same color with a touch of pearl, it'll look good in the sun.

During paint, I am figuring out an air conditioning and heat system, (I live in the desert). I have been kicking around some ideas with some people on another thread, it looks doable. While in paint, I will also send the seats out to get upholstered and order the interior bits.

When the car gets out of paint, it is going to a local Subaru WRX tuner. A couple of weeks ago I flew over to SoCal to look at Gary Scott's Lamborghini Verde Ithica Green 914. His car is flawless, it looks like a car done by one of the tv shows. Anyway, Gary was kind enough to share with me the build sheet an I am using the same tuner that did his engine. I will be upgrading the turbo and intercooler, I am looking to get 250-300 hp at the wheels.

Anyway, that is a status on the car. I am pretty excited about it, Chris is a great craftsman, I expect this car to be a really nice drIver.
Ed
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 8 2016, 05:20 PM
Post #291

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Mowog4 @ Jun 8 2016, 04:16 PM) *

I am the new owner of Chris's 914 Subie conversion. I have started getting a bit more active on the board doing some research and developing a plan. The current plan is to put the car in the body shop for some block sanding, chassis stiffening and paint. It is going in the first week of July and is expected back six weeks later. Chris had painted the trunks, engine compartment and jams in orange (I believe L20-E). I will paint he car the same color with a touch of pearl, it'll look good in the sun.

During paint, I am figuring out an air conditioning and heat system, (I live in the desert). I have been kicking around some ideas with some people on another thread, it looks doable. While in paint, I will also send the seats out to get upholstered and order the interior bits.

When the car gets out of paint, it is going to a local Subaru WRX tuner. A couple of weeks ago I flew over to SoCal to look at Gary Scott's Lamborghini Verde Ithica Green 914. His car is flawless, it looks like a car done by one of the tv shows. Anyway, Gary was kind enough to share with me the build sheet an I am using the same tuner that did his engine. I will be upgrading the turbo and intercooler, I am looking to get 250-300 hp at the wheels.

Anyway, that is a status on the car. I am pretty excited about it, Chris is a great craftsman, I expect this car to be a really nice drIver.
Ed

Congrats, great start for a project there!

If Gary has that sweet green GT flared Subaru conversion I think you are talking about I have only seen pictures of it and I am impressed!
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Jun 8 2016, 05:38 PM
Post #292

[/quote]

Congrats, great start for a project there!

If Gary has that sweet green GT flared Subaru conversion I think you are talking about I have only seen pictures of it and I am impressed!
[/quote]

Gary's car is amazing, the build is flawless, I was blown away by the quality of the car. Made me want to fly home and build something as cool. To top it off, Gary is a great guy. We stoop in a parking lot talking cars for a couple of hours. While standing there people driving by would give the thumbs up, and a couple people stopped to look at it.
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jun 8 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #293

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

Congrats Ed. Glad this car is in the right hands of a motivated enthusiast!

Let's see some photos of your Bugeye and Mini!!
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Aug 4 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #294

Just got the car back from paint. It is L30E which I put a pearl mid-coat into. I have six boxes which just showed up from 914 rubber with a whole bunch of interior parts in it. Next steps are interior installation, I am installing a larger intercooler and a bigger turbo. Sometime in the next couple of weeks the car will head to the dyno shop to get the car running.
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Aug 4 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #295

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

good luck with the project and nice commando in the background
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Aug 4 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #296

I have a love-hate relationship with my Norton. When it is good it is great, when it has mid-seventies electrical issues I usually end up walking home

QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 4 2016, 06:42 PM) *

good luck with the project and nice commando in the background

+Quote Post
injunmort
post Aug 4 2016, 09:12 PM
Post #297

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

long time norton owner, walked home once. do you work on it or farm it out?
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Aug 4 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #298

I work on it myself, it is actually a pretty good bike. I have completely rebuilt it, its weakest point is the brakes. They are awful. I mostly just take it on short rides with friends who also have vintage bikes. Mostly I ride a BMW S1000R which is a pretty great bike, but lacks soul.
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 4 2016, 07:12 PM) *

long time norton owner, walked home once. do you work on it or farm it out?

+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Aug 9 2016, 04:25 PM
Post #299

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

Ed,

The car is looking great painted. Very excited to see it come together and run.

You mentioned you plan to run a larger turbo & I assume injectors. Have you picked out a turbo yet?

Having followed this thread with the previous owner, I also suggest fabricating a new downpipe from the turbo with a bellmouth or divorced wastegate pipe.
+Quote Post
Mowog4
post Aug 9 2016, 06:17 PM
Post #300

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 9 2016, 03:25 PM) *

Ed,

The car is looking great painted. Very excited to see it come together and run.

You mentioned you plan to run a larger turbo & I assume injectors. Have you picked out a turbo yet?

Having followed this thread with the previous owner, I also suggest fabricating a new downpipe from the turbo with a bellmouth or divorced wastegate pipe.

Hey Matt
Hope all is well. I have a Subie tuner near me, he is suggesting a VF23 Hybrid, which runs a different impeller. No need for different injectors, I am going for a pretty modest gain. I am thinking around 275HP to the wheels. The agree with the downpipe, it is on the list
+Quote Post

16 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:56 PM