Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Orange 75 project, Clutch and Shifter setup
al weidman
post Mar 16 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #81

Al Weidman

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,736
Region Association: Northern California

Chris, I also got the small vacuum system from HF and it works great. Keeps the cabinet clear and you can see what you are doing. Al.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Tom
post Mar 17 2009, 03:16 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 7,526

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Mar 17 2009, 05:42 AM
Post #83

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

I love this post!! Awesome!! Keep it up bro!! Love to watch the progress you are doing! Cheers
+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Mar 17 2009, 07:10 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 7,322
Region Association: South East States

I just read through this entire thread. What a fantastic job you're doing! Very inspirational. I did a lot of work to my car, but nowhere near as involved as what you've done. Keep the pictures coming.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Mar 20 2009, 07:08 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 8,018
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Went back to the local paint and supply shop and picked up some filler as well as some rattle can underseal.

I think this filler is a little overkill but the idea is to seal up the weld and then cover with normal filler. For that step I am going to wait and perform that operation outside, good excuse to catch somes sun (we actually saw 50F yesterday) and the dust stays outside.

Also making enquiries to see if I can get someone to come around and soda blast the rest of the bodywork that I have not gotten too.

This is the filler I used:

Attached Image

Here are the results

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Mar 20 2009, 07:12 AM
Post #86

After the failed experiment with the Schutz I bought some 3M underseal, they did not have Schutz in a can and evidently this is nearly the same stuff ...

Attached Image

Well it went on much better but still a messy operation. I covered the floor in plastic and the key is to spray it on lightly in multilple coats, you could do it in one session but that means crawling over the mess on the floor so 3 evenings worked better.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Mar 20 2009, 07:20 AM
Post #87

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(my928s4 @ Mar 20 2009, 08:12 AM) *

After the failed experiment with the Schutz I bought some 3M underseal, they did not have Schutz in a can and evidently this is nearly the same stuff ...

Well it went on much better but still a messy operation. I covered the floor in plastic and the key is to spray it on lightly in multilple coats, you could do it in one session but that means crawling over the mess on the floor so 3 evenings worked better.

Quite the inspiration to say the least. I am following this thread and have subscribed to it.

How many cans did you use to coat the underside? Do you plan on using this in the engine bay (I have seen it done recently or with LineX)?

Cheers!
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Mar 20 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #88

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'll be doing the same with my project shortly, but I won't be using the rubberized product, as it appears to come off to easily for what I want-
+Quote Post
914Tom
post Mar 20 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 7,526

why not apply a PVC coat and paint the underside and wheelhouses in carcolor ? (orange) ...
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Mar 20 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #90

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 20 2009, 06:20 AM) *

How many cans did you use to coat the underside? Do you plan on using this in the engine bay (I have seen it done recently or with LineX)?
Cheers!

Hi Mike, it took about one can for the area you see in the photo and at that point there was more left but the can is useless as the top is pretty much gummed up. Aim is to paint the engine bay.

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Mar 20 2009, 08:01 AM) *

I'll be doing the same with my project shortly, but I won't be using the rubberized product, as it appears to come off to easily for what I want-

Yep there are many solutions to work with, if I had the car on a rotisserie I would have gone another route. Also the car will be fair weather so I believe what I am doing should be good enough. Only time will tell.

QUOTE(914Tom @ Mar 20 2009, 10:05 AM) *

why not apply a PVC coat and paint the underside and wheelhouses in carcolor ? (orange) ...

I am not yet decided on the wheel wells but some of the old undercoating is very well adhered which will mean undercoating again. I was originally hoping to have body color on the underside and wheel wells but looking at other projects I thought the undercoat looked good.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Apr 19 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #91

Well not too much to report, I took a 3 week break while we had visitors and took a vacation. I am nearly complete on welding the fenders, just another hour or so on the drivers side rear and should be done, I was going to finish yesterday and then ran out of welding wire.

I have been receiving boxes of goodies though, the re-plated calipers from Eric looked great and they also came with new rear bearings and 5 lug rear hubs. I am picking some more parts up from the powder coaters next week so I can start putting the rear arm back together.

Couple of pics of the front calipers, once I have some of the small seals I can put the halves back together. Still waiting on rebuild kit for the rears but they look just as good.

Attached Image

Attached Image

This weekend I finished the priming more of the underside.

1st coat epoxy primer

Attached Image

Then apply seam sealer

Attached Image

Attached Image

And add a second coat of Epoxy

Attached Image

Now ready for underseal.

+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 19 2009, 05:19 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

You might want to check out a caliper rebuild thread. Your pistons are not positioned in the correct orientation. The missing part of the piston rim faces the incoming part of the rotor when it is mounted on it's proper side. 20 degrees is the term they use when positioning each individual side. Wes V has a good thread and I'm sure there are others.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Apr 20 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #93

QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 19 2009, 04:19 PM) *

You might want to check out a caliper rebuild thread. Your pistons are not positioned in the correct orientation. The missing part of the piston rim faces the incoming part of the rotor when it is mounted on it's proper side. 20 degrees is the term they use when positioning each individual side. Wes V has a good thread and I'm sure there are others.

You are correct, found this pic on Pelican.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
MDG
post Apr 20 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #94

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

Chris, just finished reading through this thread; that is some inspired work - can't wait to see more.

m.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Apr 20 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #95

QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 20 2009, 03:43 PM) *

Chris, just finished reading through this thread; that is some inspired work - can't wait to see more.

m.

Thanks, inspired by brilliance or madness (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I do have to wonder at times.

Anyway got these back from the powder coaters today, they did an excellent job. I had the brake protective plate done in black rather than plated like OEM, I am not after originality and the plating does not seem to hold up well on this part.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Apr 25 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #96

At last the lowest part of the car is done, the 2nd and 3rd can of underseal worked waaay better than the 1st, much easier to apply. Two coats and about 1.5 cans to do the floor pan.

Attached Image

I added the following because someone posted and asked if this happened to others, you do your best to align everything but when you get to the finishing the bottom of the flare it doesn't align quite right. In total this happened to me twice and is no doubt because I did not pay enough care and attention and I am a novice.

So the bottom was hanging maybe 3mm or so too low, first thing to do is cut off the bottom edge.

Attached Image

Align up the removed part to the remanents of the old fender (i.e the bottom), draw line and remove sliver of material.

Attached Image

Make adjustments where needed and get the part to fit as good as possible, tack into place.

Attached Image

Complete welds and grind/finish.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lou W
post Apr 25 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #97

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

Sure looking good, very nice job. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Slider
post Apr 25 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #98

Problems are like cockroaches you find 1 and theres a 100 more

Member No.: 7,591
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Nice job Chris, keep up the good work you are an inspiration.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) Cheers!
+Quote Post
charliew
post Apr 26 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I held my fg rocker from aa up to my 75 body and I can't decide how to get a small gap at the joint of the flare and also work with the bevel on the bottom of the body, that seems to be a tough fit. It really looks like the fg rockers need to be straighter down more than angled in at the bottom edge.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post May 5 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #100

Not too much going on but took some parts to the platers and cleaned up the garage a bit. I wanted to make the body movable so I could do some of the filler work outside, off to Homedepot for some wood which is not my best medium. Anyway made up a dolly which sits nicely on the finished underbody.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Seems to work OK and pretty stable, will see how it works in the coming weeks. Got a 928 track day this weekend and the wife wants me to refinish one of the bathrooms so May not going to be a stellar month for progress.
+Quote Post

16 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:19 PM