Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Decision to make - "4" or "6"
Which would you choose:
trying to decide between a 4 and a conversion 6
914/4 2.0 [ 35 ] ** [38.46%]
914 "6" conversion car [ 56 ] ** [61.54%]
Total Votes: 91
Guests cannot vote 
Racer
post Nov 26 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I am facing a suprising dilemma.

I have come across a pristine '76 2.0 with many of the track car trimmings I desire for my future DE/AX/Weekend car. It has accusump, safety devises cage, Chassis stiffening kit, front oilcooler and aux guages. Turbo Tie rods. 140lb rear springs. 19mm master cylinder, Larger (21mm?) Torsion bars, lowered, solid battery box and longitudinals. Stock seats. Red over black. Emissions equipment removed. Stock FI. Stock 4bolt wheels/brakes. Absolutely no rust. 2 owner car with 95K miles

The other one? a '74.. completely "rotissoried" and rebuilt with 80's SC 3.0 liter converted to webbers. 911S front brakes. 914 Six rear brakes. Stiffening kit. No Cage. No fAux oil Cooler. 6/7x16s with 205s. Beautiful black over black. No rust here either. Stock interior, Sideshifter conversion. Headers that are "heat" capable.

I know its not a bad dilemma to have (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) For your consideration, my last 914 was a '70 1.7 that i added a cage, 5 bolt conversion (Carrera brakes), stiffer TBs and rear springs; 2056 motor, oil cooler and tracked and DEd for a number of years, only selling to get a 911, which has since been sold.

Any feedback as to which you might choose and why would be appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TeenerTim
post Nov 26 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,253

No brainer.

Edit: OK, you asked why. Probably the main reason you were looking to buy a 911 was the engine. This way you get the best of both worlds. As long as you own a four you'll always want a six. Go big or go home!
+Quote Post
911quest
post Nov 26 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,773
Region Association: South East States

I know the arugment has been beaten to death.....

No push rods....I can go on and on....

Go with a six and don't look back
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Nov 26 2007, 03:55 PM
Post #4

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

I think it really depends on what you want to do with the car. You are mentioning things like "track" in your listing. So I take it you intend for the car to see track time. Will it be strictly DE's or do you plan on competition (autox or otherwise)?

If competition with this car is in your future, read the rules carefully before buying. In general a car with a 3.0L six transplant will find itself classed in with the trailer-riding-fire-breathing-monsters, and you'll find yourself outclassed with a street car. So, rear the rules for whatever club you plan on driving in.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 26 2007, 03:55 PM
Post #5

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Just to play a little devil's advocate here....

No mention of cost? Is that a factor at all?

Hold out for answers that apply to what you want to do. Don't base a decision like this on answers like "as long as you own a four you'll want a six" or "no push rods." No offense to anyone, but make your decision on factors that really have teeth and apply to your application. The last thing you want is to make a decision based on answers like that and then go get your ass handed to you by a four on the AX course.

I would probably choose the six too, just because I love them, it seems you can go either way, and you mentioned track time. But too many variables are yet undefined. Do you want to be truly competitive at racing events? If so, which ones are most important to you?
+Quote Post
Racer
post Nov 26 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #6

I have thought about PCA Club racing. As such, the 2.0L would run in a stock class. As I looked thru all the results from 2007band 2006, I see very few "J" class cars even entered. Which makes Club Racing less appealing and well, leaves me with just a slow (but nice) car for DE events.

The "6" would run as a GT class car for PCA CR and yes, would be completely outclassed as it is still as "street" car. It would weigh between 200-400lbs too much and be down about 80-100hp. Not too conducive to victory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

For AX, the 2.0 would run stock.. with maybe only 1 other car locally at PCA events. Not sure if SCCA C/D classes would be competitive either.

For AX the "6" would run PCA Modified.. Our local region hotshoe runs a '73 "RSR" wannabe with a 993 based 3.6. I came close a couple times against him with my 220hp 911SC, but a 200hp 914 with 2200lbs (400lbs lighter than my SC) wouldn't be a bad start either. For SCCA I am sure it is not competitive without shedding weight and growing flares and running in say, XP class.

The reason I did sell my 914 was it was time to either put in a 911 motor or simply buy a 911. I bought the 911 and built it up over the years. Fun car.. but I think I prefer the 914 "twitch" at the limit vs the 911s "pendulum" predictability.

As for price? The advertised prices were close.. and the "selling" prices are close. Not deal breakers, but yes, the "6" is a little bit more.
+Quote Post
TeenerTim
post Nov 26 2007, 04:26 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,253

Ouch! I sold my last 914 to buy a 911 and never regretted it. The sound of the Porsche flat six is a symphony. If you want a 911 for the styling, hold out for a 911. If you want one for the engine, get the 914/6. If you're tired of the NARP syndrome, wait for the 911. If you want to compete, get out the rule book.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Nov 26 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Nov 26 2007, 02:26 PM) *

Ouch! I sold my last 914 to buy a 911 and never regretted it. The sound of the Porsche flat six is a symphony. If you want a 911 for the styling, hold out for a 911. If you want one for the engine, get the 914/6. If you're tired of the NARP syndrome, wait for the 911. If you want to compete, get out the rule book.

I don't see much NARP syndrome out east here.. these cars are so old and so rare, not many folks know what they are.. Around here, 944s are the NARP cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
markb
post Nov 26 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #9

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Personally I would go for the 6, but that's mostly because I'm in California, where the 76 would need smog every other year. I also like the fact that the 6 is a 3.0. Good motor, hard to kill.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 26 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Nov 26 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980

I am currently doing a /6 conversion useing a 3.0 so you know my vote. The 3.0 is a excellent motor.
+Quote Post
sww914
post Nov 26 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

6. 95% of your time in the car will be on the street, the 6 will be way more fun and more reliable.
+Quote Post
Michael N
post Nov 26 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #13

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Nov 26 2007, 02:26 PM) *

I sold my 911 to get a 914/6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) and never even thought about regretting it. Go with the 3.0 conversion.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 26 2007, 06:09 PM
Post #14

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

more reliable.

This isn't 1982.

The development of the /4 engine no longer makes it "unreliable" unless it is misconfigured or assembled by someone stick in "1982".

+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Nov 26 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #15

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 26 2007, 04:09 PM) *

more reliable.

This isn't 1982.

The development of the /4 engine no longer makes it "unreliable" unless it is misconfigured or assembled by someone stick in "1982".

Yea and it was just my luck to have both happen to me in 2004!
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 26 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #16

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I'm a 6'er kinda guy.

You are getting good advice here; if you are building a car for competition, you need to build it FOR the competition.

If you are new to competitive driving it could take you a couple years before the amount of power you've got will actually matter. So to that end a car more toward the momentum end of the spectrum may improve the learning curve.
+Quote Post
woobn8r
post Nov 26 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,435

QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Nov 26 2007, 04:19 PM) *

No brainer.

Edit: OK, you asked why. Probably the main reason you were looking to buy a 911 was the engine. This way you get the best of both worlds. As long as you own a four you'll always want a six. Go big or go home!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Nov 26 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #18

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

As said before... It really just depends on what you are wanting to do. I have a six, and I love it more than any other car I have had. I sold my 911 so I could do more to my car. I am about to buy a 2.5l 6 for my car, and I can't wait to do so. That being said. I am really looking forward to buying another 914 and getting a Jake Raby engine in it. He is getting a lot of hp out of the 4, it is reliable if it is one of his, and it is much lighter than a six. Then I would have two kick ass 914s in my garage.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 26 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #19

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

Thanks! For the kudos.. We have come a long way in the past decade for sure... We haven't taped into the full potential yet, even though most everything we build is now 180HP+... 2008 will be the biggest year yet with the roller lifters being completed, the porkies heads completed and etc..

Ppickerell, Yeah you had quite an experience! Did you ever get that straightened out?
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post Nov 26 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 770

I was thinking about this dilemma as usuall and the question I kept asking for myself was why not get a 911 if I want the six. However, you've done that and now you're going back. What made you go towards the 911 and now look at going back to the 914? I haven't had a lot of time behind the wheel of a 911 just got to drive an sc for about and hr. I wasn't that impressed, but there is something about the styling of a 911, I don't know what's your opinion?

Oh and if I was in your place I would vote 6. I just can't help but admire the sophistication of the motor.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 11:13 PM