Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suby Runners - cooling hose transition, coming into the waterpump?
GS Guy
post Nov 30 2007, 07:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,325
Region Association: North East States

For guys with the Subaru engine conversion - how are you transitioning from the hoses coming back under the car and into the waterpump inlet?

My JDM 2.0 turbo engine has the water pump inlet pointing outward - towards the drivers (left) side of the car. I'd like the coolant return hose either coming down the center of the chassis underneath (like the standard Renegade set-up) or possibly on the passenger side of the car.

Question is: how do I get from the waterpump inlet - pointing left/ 1.5" diameter, back to pointing straight forward or towards the right side of the car and down to 1.25" diameter - with a minimum of fittings and connections? How is this handled with the standard Renegade conversion? I've got pics of every other facet of the conversion, all but this waterpump plumbing "detail".

I could run Silicone elbows, but that means at least 2 elbows and two splice/unions to get the hose running in the right direction.

Jeff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Nov 30 2007, 01:24 PM
Post #2

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493
Region Association: None

I used a standard Subie WRX lower rad hose. It is 1.5" on the water pump side, and 1.25 @ the radiator. The i had a set of flanged splices made (radiator shop should be able too) and routed under the car.

Same thing on the upper hose. Factory WRX and a splice.

BJH
+Quote Post
GS Guy
post Nov 30 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #3

Have any pics of the hose routing? That sounds like a simple solution. I know HRP and Pegasus sell a good variety of hose joiners.
Jeff
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Dec 1 2007, 01:14 AM
Post #4

Sorry, no pics.
I used renegades Radiator, and routed the hoses in the indentations on the bottom.

Waterpump hose on the drivers side: Factory WRX lower Radiator hose that i cut a few inches off (so the splice is between the firewall and the motor, not under the car) Napa Yellow stripe hose from the splice to the radiator along the indentation, over the steering rack, and through the trunk wall.

Upper Hose: Factory Upper hose cut so the splice is vertical between the motor and the firewall. Hose ends up "L" shaped (maybe a "7" if you want to get technical (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)) NAPA Yellow stripe from the splice to the radiator, passenger side indentation...

One of the splices changes size, i think it's the upper hose.

BJH
+Quote Post
GS Guy
post Dec 1 2007, 08:07 AM
Post #5

Thanks BJH,

Does the stock WRX water pump intlet face straight out towards the drivers side of the car - meaning the hose has to take a 90 to be heading towards the front of the car?

The pictures of WRX lower hoses I can find don't seem to provide the 90* bend?
I've read different model Subaru engines face the W/P thermostat inlet in different directions. Wondering if my JDM motor is different than the standard WRX. I'll have to look up some thermostat housing pics....
Jeff
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Dec 1 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #6

I had to go look...

The outlet points straight out the drivers side (@ the motor mount to the chassis). The hose has a 45* downturn, 3-4" of straight, and then a 90* to point it forward.

BJH
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:54 AM