Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suby Runners - cooling hose transition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GS Guy
For guys with the Subaru engine conversion - how are you transitioning from the hoses coming back under the car and into the waterpump inlet?

My JDM 2.0 turbo engine has the water pump inlet pointing outward - towards the drivers (left) side of the car. I'd like the coolant return hose either coming down the center of the chassis underneath (like the standard Renegade set-up) or possibly on the passenger side of the car.

Question is: how do I get from the waterpump inlet - pointing left/ 1.5" diameter, back to pointing straight forward or towards the right side of the car and down to 1.25" diameter - with a minimum of fittings and connections? How is this handled with the standard Renegade conversion? I've got pics of every other facet of the conversion, all but this waterpump plumbing "detail".

I could run Silicone elbows, but that means at least 2 elbows and two splice/unions to get the hose running in the right direction.

Jeff
Crazyhippy
I used a standard Subie WRX lower rad hose. It is 1.5" on the water pump side, and 1.25 @ the radiator. The i had a set of flanged splices made (radiator shop should be able too) and routed under the car.

Same thing on the upper hose. Factory WRX and a splice.

BJH
GS Guy
Have any pics of the hose routing? That sounds like a simple solution. I know HRP and Pegasus sell a good variety of hose joiners.
Jeff
Crazyhippy
Sorry, no pics.
I used renegades Radiator, and routed the hoses in the indentations on the bottom.

Waterpump hose on the drivers side: Factory WRX lower Radiator hose that i cut a few inches off (so the splice is between the firewall and the motor, not under the car) Napa Yellow stripe hose from the splice to the radiator along the indentation, over the steering rack, and through the trunk wall.

Upper Hose: Factory Upper hose cut so the splice is vertical between the motor and the firewall. Hose ends up "L" shaped (maybe a "7" if you want to get technical biggrin.gif) NAPA Yellow stripe from the splice to the radiator, passenger side indentation...

One of the splices changes size, i think it's the upper hose.

BJH
GS Guy
Thanks BJH,

Does the stock WRX water pump intlet face straight out towards the drivers side of the car - meaning the hose has to take a 90 to be heading towards the front of the car?

The pictures of WRX lower hoses I can find don't seem to provide the 90* bend?
I've read different model Subaru engines face the W/P thermostat inlet in different directions. Wondering if my JDM motor is different than the standard WRX. I'll have to look up some thermostat housing pics....
Jeff
Crazyhippy
I had to go look...

The outlet points straight out the drivers side (@ the motor mount to the chassis). The hose has a 45* downturn, 3-4" of straight, and then a 90* to point it forward.

BJH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.