Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Fuel Pump, How to Prime
warrenoliver
post Dec 1 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,199
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I just got a replacement fuel pump (73 2.0 in the original location),because I couldn't get the previous replacement one to pump. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
So, before I go and muck it up, how exactly do I prime this thing. The directions from HPH say " Squirt oil in pick up port to help prime the pump. Repeat if necessary" - seems pretty easy, but the last one I got, no matter how much oil I pushed into it, the darn thing would only pump out of the return port, not the "D" port.
So, what is the trick? I will be testing this one on the bench first before installing under the car like last time - should prevent another gas shower!

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swl
post Dec 1 2007, 09:37 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

I'm not one for ignoring directions but after the time I've spent under the car replacing old hoses I can pretty much guarantee you that gravity will prime it just fine. The delivery hose was leaking and I had to clamp the supply to keep it from gushing as I replaced the line.

IMHO the 'return port only' issue isn't priming - The rubber tit on the end of the pop off valve is sticking and the fuel flow can't provide enough pressure to break it free.

Hmm. In writing this I am confusing myself. (old age!). The way that bypass valve works I should never see fuel flow on te delivery side without fuel pressure. Don't know where all that gas would have come from.

Never the less I would just slap it in and let it pump - especially if it is on the bench.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:01 AM