Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Fuel Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
I just got a replacement fuel pump (73 2.0 in the original location),because I couldn't get the previous replacement one to pump. headbang.gif
So, before I go and muck it up, how exactly do I prime this thing. The directions from HPH say " Squirt oil in pick up port to help prime the pump. Repeat if necessary" - seems pretty easy, but the last one I got, no matter how much oil I pushed into it, the darn thing would only pump out of the return port, not the "D" port.
So, what is the trick? I will be testing this one on the bench first before installing under the car like last time - should prevent another gas shower!

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
swl
I'm not one for ignoring directions but after the time I've spent under the car replacing old hoses I can pretty much guarantee you that gravity will prime it just fine. The delivery hose was leaking and I had to clamp the supply to keep it from gushing as I replaced the line.

IMHO the 'return port only' issue isn't priming - The rubber tit on the end of the pop off valve is sticking and the fuel flow can't provide enough pressure to break it free.

Hmm. In writing this I am confusing myself. (old age!). The way that bypass valve works I should never see fuel flow on te delivery side without fuel pressure. Don't know where all that gas would have come from.

Never the less I would just slap it in and let it pump - especially if it is on the bench.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.