Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fiid's Project Progress Thead., The Legend of Narparu
fiid
post Jan 5 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #81

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

The numbers thing didn't bother me that much since I needed a paint job anyway (although it was kinda stupid.).

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jan 5 2004, 01:17 PM
Post #82

Here is my car at Laguna Seca with the dreaded numbers.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jan 5 2004, 02:06 PM
Post #83

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 2 2004, 11:24 PM)
I lied. 159.00 Specify BUS tranny when calling.

888-997-9894 Kustom 1 Warehouse in Orange Ca. On Collins ave.

And the pic above my post is the EXACT starter Kustom has listed and a pic of.

The owner of IMI knows me well... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

B

The IMI-101 is on it's way.

Brad saves the day AGAIN! Thanks dude. You get the trophy.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Heres a question for the group. Is there a difference between the 4 spring and the 6 spring clutch disk? Which do I want? Why?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 5 2004, 02:16 PM
Post #84

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Hey Fiid,

thanks for posting pics of your car........everytime I think I need a new paint job I'll look at your car and feel better... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

For the motor mount: bulkhead style or something similar to the factory /4 unit?
+Quote Post
Tony
post Jan 5 2004, 02:52 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 967

Hi

If you still having a problem the intercooler, there is a upgade for WRX's where you move the intercooler to front.
This may help you to move it to a different location to fit your needs.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jan 5 2004, 04:07 PM
Post #86

I was thinking about doing a mount bar. There isn't much to mount to at the front of the engine and the stock subary mounts are towards the back of the thing. Not sure how it's going to work out, given the exhaust situation. We'll see.... :-) I'd like to get this towards being a fairly easy conversion - it ought to make a wicked car.

There is no problem with the intercooler - that can be resolved by flipping the "alien" around so it hangs over the front instead of the back of the engine. The only downside of this is trying to get the alternator underneith it. I'll have a go at getting this stuff to fit later on, and let y'all know how it goes.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 6 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #87

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

The 6 spring disc is a early 911S based 901 disc. The 4 spring is the stock 914 901 disc.

I NEVER install the 4 spring. They are weak and have a sluggish engagment designed for a VW Bus.

People ask why the clutch prices are higher than others: "um.. because we have a clue and know that the 4 spring disc breaks pretty easy"...LOL

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 6 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #88

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I dont want the trophy Fiid.. just your business.

B
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 6 2004, 01:10 AM
Post #89

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Hey fiid, we talking flares on this car? or what? what size tires? Any plans on this? Just curious, cus if you run stock tires with 280hp.. well, lets just say that im thinkin 9" rear flares would do good... 315's sound very tempting! (hehehe) If I had the money..

Andrew
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jan 7 2004, 03:04 PM
Post #90

Latest news.....(JON WATTS - you need to know this!)

I have been doing some work to try and figure out the best way of plumbing the engine in.

Turns out that we can't have a big exhaust on the primary turbo. The original application had a restrictive cat on the primary turbo downpipe, and taking that out causes that turbo to over-spin and destroy itself. I think we may need to put quite a small down-pipe on it to similate that.

I just joined the "legacyb4" yahoo group. I'll let y'all know what else I learn!
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Jan 7 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #91

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

does it not have a waste gate?

I thought that was the purpose of that?

maybe an aftermarket one?
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Jan 7 2004, 03:23 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

O maybe i am thinking of a blow off valve i think the waste gate is after the turbo on the manifold and blows off manifold pressure.

I dunno (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jan 7 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #93

The primary turbo is VERY small and has an agressive impeller on it. Apparently it spools up almost immediately and provides a lot of power from very low in the rev range. The problem is further up, where it cannot maintain pressure for the engine and the secondary has not kicked in yet. AT this time, the wastegate will be closed, and the turbo won't be able to blow enough air through to keep the intake pressure up. Thisis where I think the danger zone is.

Also - at higher rpms, I think it is necessary to have restriction on the primary turbo to keep it running slower than the secondary - which has different impellers, and ought to be producing more air.

Fiid.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Jan 7 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 538

Fiid: Are you going to run the turbos in their stock sequential arrangement or go parallel? I know from my RX7 friends experience that running the stock twins on an RX7 in parallel results in more power. Because of the complexity of the switching mechanism (massive amounts of vacuum lines) people either ditch the stock twins and run a large single or disable the switching mechanism to run parallel. Then again I know that on the rotary the engine exhausts to one side only (single exhaust) so maybe this configuration more readily lends itself to a parallel system than a true dual exhaust would.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jan 7 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #95

I'm going to try and get it going in the stock-ish trim first.

I have heard of bi-turbo (they both kick in at the same time) and single turbo version of this engine (I think single turbo with equal length headers may be the way to go). I have done a lot of reading today and found out that people are able to get 400-450 HP out of this engine.

The first problem is the EFI and Spark control through. I have learned that the stock system uses a MAF sensor, which I don't have, so I'm thinking more about sticking a 36 tooth trigger wheel on it and running Megasquirt and MegaJoltLiteJr. Since I know how to wire this up (and what all the connections do :-) ) this seems like an easier path. The only downside is that I will have to tune the bastard, but I think I'm going to have to do that anyway.

l8r,

Fiid.
+Quote Post
fiid
post Jan 7 2004, 07:53 PM
Post #96

The wastegate is often part of the turbo and bypasses the exhaust impeller if there is enough pressure being produced - this is what the boost controller uses to stop the turbo producing more and more boost.

A blow-off valve sits in the compressed air side of the turbo. Basically - if you are at high RPM, high load (and consequently high boost), the turbo is spooled up and pumping a lot of air. If you suddenly let go of the gas, the throttle body closes, and you get a big pressure spike. Suddenly, the turbo is fighting that pressure, and theres nowhere for the air to go, so the blow-off valve is supposed to open here and let that pressure off, so the turbo can spool down safely. Backfires can also cause problems for turbos.

There is a different config that is sometimes used, that feeds comressed air back into the suck side of the turbo, so that the turbo can remain spooled up, so that when you are in your next gear, and gunning for it again, you don't have to endure so much turbo lag.

Terbos is fun, my precioussssss
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Jan 8 2004, 01:02 AM
Post #97

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

Hmm, I hadn't considered "designed-in" backpressure.

I think getting this engine to run as it was designed from Subaru would be as hard as totally re-engineering the turbo setup.

Pick your poison.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jan 8 2004, 01:04 AM
Post #98

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(fiid @ Jan 7 2004, 05:53 PM)
The wastegate is often part of the turbo and bypasses the exhaust impeller if there is enough pressure being produced - this is what the boost controller uses to stop the turbo producing more and more boost.

A blow-off valve sits in the compressed air side of the turbo. Basically - if you are at high RPM, high load (and consequently high boost), the turbo is spooled up and pumping a lot of air. If you suddenly let go of the gas, the throttle body closes, and you get a big pressure spike. Suddenly, the turbo is fighting that pressure, and theres nowhere for the air to go, so the blow-off valve is supposed to open here and let that pressure off, so the turbo can spool down safely. Backfires can also cause problems for turbos.

There is a different config that is sometimes used, that feeds comressed air back into the suck side of the turbo, so that the turbo can remain spooled up, so that when you are in your next gear, and gunning for it again, you don't have to endure so much turbo lag.

Terbos is fun, my precioussssss

That's where ya get that Chuf, chuf, chuf sound on decel.....fast and the furious sound effects.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jan 8 2004, 08:21 AM
Post #99

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Fiid

MegaSquirt can certainly handle the fuel side of the engine. I'm not sure about the ignition side of it. The problem is driving all the coils. Currently, it is working with 1 coil driver and 1 coil with sparkplug wires or, with the Ford EDIS system which is wasted spark and uses coil packs and sparkplug wires. To run the coil on plug systems you will need 4 coil drivers and a cam sensor to determine which cylinder is to fire. Unless you can figure out how to tap the stock ignition system prior to the cam position sensor you will probably have to give up the coil on plug system. That's way more than I'm capable of.

I've been trying to figure a way to put COP on my car but I can"t get past the cam timing issue. I've got 8 Ford coils from a Crown Vic siting on my bench and they'll probably sit there for a while until someone with some intelligence figures out how to use Mega------- to run COP.

Dave
+Quote Post
eresener
post Jan 8 2004, 09:11 AM
Post #100

Dr. Sawsall

Member No.: 1,252

I have been watching this thread for a while...and am interested in this motor...do all legacy wagons come w/this turbo motor?
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:14 PM