Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Tin Joint Sealant?
AvalonFal
post Dec 6 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Was there originally any type of sealant at the engine tin where the various pieces overlap and screw together? I removed the front left piece near the alternator and it looked like it had an old bead of sealant where it overlapped the next piece. Could've been done by a PO? Or original?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davep
post Dec 6 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Dec 6 2007, 01:32 PM) *

Was there originally any type of sealant at the engine tin where the various pieces overlap and screw together?

I think it may be a latex type caulking.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 6 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

The majority of the motors I've looked at / taken apart have not had any sort of sealant. So by the numbers, I find it unlikely that there was anything there from the factory. The stuff that I have seen on a few engines is more of a foam strip than a 'goop'.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Dec 6 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #4

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 6 2007, 10:24 PM) *

The majority of the motors I've looked at / taken apart have not had any sort of sealant. So by the numbers, I find it unlikely that there was anything there from the factory. The stuff that I have seen on a few engines is more of a foam strip than a 'goop'.

There IS a foam strip that was used on the sections that overlay the cooling box (or whatever it's called). Naturally, it disintegrates from age & it was very thin. It'll take some searching, but replaced mine with factory pieces in the late 70's & kept the parts labels. That's the only area that had it. All other pieces simply mated painted metal on painted metal.
Pat
+Quote Post
davep
post Dec 7 2007, 07:22 AM
Post #5

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Now that I think about it, you are probably correct about it being a sponge tape. That is probably why they corrode so badly; foam retains water.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Dec 7 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #6

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(davep @ Dec 7 2007, 08:22 AM) *

Now that I think about it, you are probably correct about it being a sponge tape. That is probably why they corrode so badly; foam retains water.

Yeppir!

But when it's young & not subjected to too much moisture it does its job - cooling!

Sponge tape isn't really correct - it was just a length of sponge-type material (maybe still is), without adhesive on one side. I suspect it was jammed in as the pieces were torqued down. At least that's what I did with mine (no adhesive). You can easily reproduced this at any hardware store, though it will probably have adhesive on one side.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:23 AM