Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Tin Joint Sealant?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
AvalonFal
Was there originally any type of sealant at the engine tin where the various pieces overlap and screw together? I removed the front left piece near the alternator and it looked like it had an old bead of sealant where it overlapped the next piece. Could've been done by a PO? Or original?
davep
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Dec 6 2007, 01:32 PM) *

Was there originally any type of sealant at the engine tin where the various pieces overlap and screw together?

I think it may be a latex type caulking.
McMark
The majority of the motors I've looked at / taken apart have not had any sort of sealant. So by the numbers, I find it unlikely that there was anything there from the factory. The stuff that I have seen on a few engines is more of a foam strip than a 'goop'.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 6 2007, 10:24 PM) *

The majority of the motors I've looked at / taken apart have not had any sort of sealant. So by the numbers, I find it unlikely that there was anything there from the factory. The stuff that I have seen on a few engines is more of a foam strip than a 'goop'.

There IS a foam strip that was used on the sections that overlay the cooling box (or whatever it's called). Naturally, it disintegrates from age & it was very thin. It'll take some searching, but replaced mine with factory pieces in the late 70's & kept the parts labels. That's the only area that had it. All other pieces simply mated painted metal on painted metal.
Pat
davep
Now that I think about it, you are probably correct about it being a sponge tape. That is probably why they corrode so badly; foam retains water.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 7 2007, 08:22 AM) *

Now that I think about it, you are probably correct about it being a sponge tape. That is probably why they corrode so badly; foam retains water.

Yeppir!

But when it's young & not subjected to too much moisture it does its job - cooling!

Sponge tape isn't really correct - it was just a length of sponge-type material (maybe still is), without adhesive on one side. I suspect it was jammed in as the pieces were torqued down. At least that's what I did with mine (no adhesive). You can easily reproduced this at any hardware store, though it will probably have adhesive on one side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.