Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A five-lug wheel and tire odyssey: 205/55 to 195/65 to 185/70, Going old-school, in terms of tires and wheel finishes...
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 12 2007, 02:03 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Dec 12 2007, 11:37 AM) *

Who did the wheel refinishing? I would love to have my wheels un-polished as I hate the way they look on my car - to much bling for me.

Wiedman's Wheels in Oroville, California.

He charges about $285 per wheel to do this setup, which is rough and clear anodized plus the black backgrounds.

Word to the wise, however: think carefully about the rough anodized lip inlays and paddle sides, as they're a nightmare to keep clean.

If I was on a budget (and I am!), I would probably see about having the lip edge polished lightly (or doing it myself) and then doing the rest of the wheel in black and silver paint. I've seen a number of cars with this setup now and it looks great right up until you get REALLLLLY close and realize that you've been fooled.

I believe Al Reed in Los Angeles does this setup, but I suspect Harvey would do it, too.

pete

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 12 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #22

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Attached Image

Very interesting. I have been agonizing over tires to install as I take my '69 912 Targa back to chromes/hub caps from the Fuchs now on it. The Fuchs have 185/65's which are too short for me. I have considered 195/65 which is the right height.
I too am a "period correct" freak and have thought about the 165 Michelins from Coker. But they are $137 a copy, plus shipping and mount/balance.
Maybe the Vredestein 185/70 is the answer. I believe the size was optional on early 912/911's. What do you think Pete?
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 12 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #23

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 11 2007, 11:25 PM) *

Detail... Oh, and I did get a set of new center caps finished to match these, but hadn't put them on for the pics... sorry!

If there is enough interest, I can reshoot them with the center caps...

Please do.

Beautiful car. I don't think I could decide. But I'll have to go through a similar exercise next summer.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 13 2007, 01:31 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 12 2007, 04:59 PM) *

Attached Image

Very interesting. I have been agonizing over tires to install as I take my '69 912 Targa back to chromes/hub caps from the Fuchs now on it. The Fuchs have 185/65's which are too short for me. I have considered 195/65 which is the right height.
I too am a "period correct" freak and have thought about the 165 Michelins from Coker. But they are $137 a copy, plus shipping and mount/balance.
Maybe the Vredestein 185/70 is the answer. I believe the size was optional on early 912/911's. What do you think Pete?

Hey Jim!

I too looked at the Michelins, but I think the 165s are just too skinny. And the 185/70R15 Michelin XWXs (the new black among early 911 nuts) are $300 a pop. Sorry, but that's more than I was paying for N-spec 265/35ZR18s for the back of our Boxster.

Then I found the Vreds. It came down to those, Pirelli P6000s (available in great sizes, 195/65 and 205/60) or BFG Radial T/A (talk about old school) in 205/60 sizing. In the end, I went with the Vreds, which look very similar to the Coker/Michelin XWXs, but are a thoroughly modern tire and a very popular choice in Europe among classic car people. I bought them from Rich at Fairmount Tire in LA for a little under $100 a tire, then added a 165SR15 Vred for a "space-saver" spare. Their number: (323) 750-8676

That looks like a really nice 912, and I dig that you are going back to steel wheels on it. However, have you seen a 911 or 912 in your color with plain silver steel wheels? It looks so, so good with that beige. And even better lowered a bit without hubcaps...though I fully recognize that might not be the look you're after! If a slightly aggressive stance is something that interests you, a set of the 195/65 P6000s on plain steel wheels without caps would look phenomenal (in my book)!

Anyway, anyway you go, that sure looks like a nice car!

pete
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 13 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 12 2007, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 11 2007, 11:25 PM) *

Detail... Oh, and I did get a set of new center caps finished to match these, but hadn't put them on for the pics... sorry!

If there is enough interest, I can reshoot them with the center caps...

Please do.

Beautiful car. I don't think I could decide. But I'll have to go through a similar exercise next summer.

Hey Mike,

Will try to do it next time I bring the car up to the office!

pete
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 13 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #26

Attached File  chromes.bmp ( 311.77k ) Number of downloads: 72
Thanks Pete for the info and encouragement. I have collected a set of 5.5 steels that need blasting and paint. When the bank account permits I plan to put some tires on them. Everyone needs three sets of wheels/tires, right!
I was planning some cheap Kuhmo 165's but the Pirellis/no caps alternative is tempting.
The PO removed the chromes on my car and sold them. I tracked down the buyer and got them back. Hope to have them on by spring, likely with the Vredsteins. As you can see from the pic above, the wheel wells are "empty" with the low profile tires. Lowering a bit would also help.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 13 2007, 09:54 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Mike,

Here's this for now (stolen from my Saratoga top swap ad).

I'll try to get some dedicated shots in the next week.

pete

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 13 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #28

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I saw that pic in the classifieds. Great looking 914.

Al Reed called me today. My 6x16's are coming home. I'll get pics after they arrive and post 'em up.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Dec 13 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #29

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 12 2007, 12:33 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 11 2007, 10:41 PM) *

On the other hand, I dig the fact the taller tires fill out the fender cut-outs both vertically AND horizontally, the latter being an aesthetic "problem" with low-profile rubber on 914s.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The new stuff looks GREAT! Nice move Pete!

i like the 205x60x15's on my sons 73. we really size shopped to find what wouldnt look to low pro on the 15's but "still aggresively square" not bulbuos (?). we had a set of 17's with low pro's that we mocked up and they looked real cool (updated look). but i dont like the lo profile look on 15's, just too small (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 14 2007, 09:24 AM
Post #30

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Hi Pete!

Nice ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
SGB
post Dec 14 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #31

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I dropped in 1/2 inch spacers from CB's on the front and it made a significant difference in the way the front tire (205/50) filled the opening. It will require new lug bolts y'know.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 14 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 13 2007, 08:42 PM) *

I saw that pic in the classifieds. Great looking 914.

Al Reed called me today. My 6x16's are coming home. I'll get pics after they arrive and post 'em up.

PLEASE do. 16x6s with 205/55R16s could be my next move for a second set of wheels. You can then get virtually any great tire made.

pete
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 14 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #33

Attached Image

205/55's on 7x16's. Had to roll the rears and pull them a little. You may have to do that with 6's as well.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 07:34 AM