Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr. Evil Does The West Coast (now with a review), Dr. Evil Tranny Clinic in San Jose, CA
Trevorg7
post Jan 7 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #221

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,241
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 5 2008, 01:09 PM) *

Dang, I totally BLANKED on this until just now. Crap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

No worries Mark. Would have been tough sledding on the drive down anyway.

QUOTE(Jenny @ Jan 5 2008, 04:26 PM) *

Hmmm.... I keep getting a busy signal when I try Trevor's cell phone.

Jen

Jenny, good to see you and Brian. We enjoyed the cornbread too.

T
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trevorg7
post Jan 8 2008, 07:09 PM
Post #222

Member No.: 3,241
Region Association: Southwest Region

Okay, I might be the first, from the clinic, to install and drive my Dr. Evil rebuilt transmission and Oh My Gawd it is amazing!

I did a complete Tail to Side shift conversion which included motor mount bar, mounts (inner/outer), tail cone, shift linkage, shifter and internals. We put in a new 1st gear and 1st gear slider (really Mike did it, I watched and learned).

I finally got it buttoned up this afternoon and went for a drive down Mckean, though some twisties, and was grinning the entire way. Not only is the sideshift more positive but each gear selected easily, without grinding, and reverse was smooth as butter. Up and down the gearbox was a dream. No more 4th/5th gear whine either!

Dr. Evil is the man. He certainly knows what he is doing and he can produce a great shifting transmission.

Now for more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

T
+Quote Post
SGB
post Jan 8 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #223

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Yep.
The reason I've been watching this thread is that Herr Doktor rebuilt my gearstack about a year ago and it was like a transformation. I could DRIVE the car. No more wincing crunches through the cogs. No more stares when I have to (OMG) put it in reverse. Yep. all a fading memory now. Turned my go cart into a real shifter cart.
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Jan 8 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #224

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Jan 7 2008, 06:19 PM) *

Jenny, good to see you and Brian. We enjoyed the cornbread too.

T

I'm glad we had a chance to stop by and say hi to everyone. Thanks for the yummy beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) It was good to see both Mike and Rob again, and to meet some other fellow world members. Thanks for hosting, Trevor. Beautiful family and LOVE your dog!

Jen
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 9 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #225

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Jan 8 2008, 08:09 PM) *

Okay, I might be the first, from the clinic, to install and drive my Dr. Evil rebuilt transmission and Oh My Gawd it is amazing!

I did a complete Tail to Side shift conversion which included motor mount bar, mounts (inner/outer), tail cone, shift linkage, shifter and internals. We put in a new 1st gear and 1st gear slider (really Mike did it, I watched and learned).

I finally got it buttoned up this afternoon and went for a drive down Mckean, though some twisties, and was grinning the entire way. Not only is the sideshift more positive but each gear selected easily, without grinding, and reverse was smooth as butter. Up and down the gearbox was a dream. No more 4th/5th gear whine either!

Dr. Evil is the man. He certainly knows what he is doing and he can produce a great shifting transmission.

Now for more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

T

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) Thats what I'm saying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jan 9 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #226

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

IGNORANT QUESTION 101:

looking at the ratios of the stock gearing, theRE are basically (2) OVERDRIVE GEARS, both 4th and 5th are over 1:1... no??? i've never seen a flow chart type drawing but the 4th gear couldn't be straight thru 1:1 design like your typical 4 or 5 sp. o.d. did porsche design it so the gear ratios/set ups could be so "versital"?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

mike
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Jan 10 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #227

Member No.: 3,577

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jan 9 2008, 06:17 PM) *

IGNORANT QUESTION 101:

looking at the ratios of the stock gearing, theRE are basically (2) OVERDRIVE GEARS, both 4th and 5th are over 1:1... no??? i've never seen a flow chart type drawing but the 4th gear couldn't be straight thru 1:1 design like your typical 4 or 5 sp. o.d. did porsche design it so the gear ratios/set ups could be so "versital"?

mike

Mike, there is no "straight thru" on the transaxle. The input shaft goes over the top of the axle and into the gearbox portion. There are 5 sets of gears to drive the pinion shaft. No matter which gear you are in, the power is always transmitted thru a gear set. After spending a whole day watching the doctor, I know that much. It seems to be a very versatile design.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jan 10 2008, 01:56 PM
Post #228

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

QUOTE(Borderline @ Jan 10 2008, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jan 9 2008, 06:17 PM) *

IGNORANT QUESTION 101:

mike

Mike, there is no "straight thru" on the transaxle. The input shaft goes over the top of the axle and into the gearbox portion. There are 5 sets of gears to drive the pinion shaft. No matter which gear you are in, the power is always transmitted thru a gear set. After spending a whole day watching the doctor, I know that much. It seems to be a very versatile design.

that makes sense. so are all 901 tail and side shift trans equipt with the same gear sets?

i ask because i have a spare tail shifter and wonder if i should really should hang onto for future use.

mike
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jan 10 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #229

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

I learned from the Dr. how about 1 hr of hammering out parts from the old tailshift core can result in hundreds of dollars in great parts for a sideshift re-fresh! Special tools are required, but after that it is simple. After grabbing the best stuff out of my old core, I now have a box of loose crappy bits (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Anyone need some random parts out a tailshifter? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 07:56 PM