Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr. Evil Does The West Coast (now with a review)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Trevorg7
This is now on! Details below.

Here are our thoughts. Mike and I have talked off and on recently about my tail to side shift transmission conversion and I quickly realized that I lack the skills and tools required to complete this job successfully. While we were talking about shipping my transmission out to him, I floated the idea of having him come to the west coast; many reasons to do so but one being my transmission.

If there is enough interest in Mike’s expertise (meaning people would pay to learn from him), Mike has offered to put on a clinic during his stay, price TBD, and teach, lead, and help the attendees with their fixes, rebuilds, and conversions.

Here is what we know for sure.

Place: 6890 Lenwood Way San Jose, CA 95120; Cell 408-499-0443
Date: January 4th and 5th
Start Times: Noon on Friday and 9am on Saturday
Provided: Beer (kegerator stocked with Kona’s Longboard Lager), driveway/garage space, compressor, limited (4) jack stands, some tools, etc.
Who: Observers are free. If you cannot attend you may still drop your transmission off for work (contact Mike for cost/parts/etc). Participation is welcome (contact Mike for cost/parts/etc)

Mike will also be bringing discount parts out with him. No 1st gear stuff however as he currently does not have any in stock. Additionally, Mike has a cash of core trannies that can be purchased directly from him. Shipping is approximately $80 via Greyhound.

I am sure many can attest to Mike’s expert skills, this is a once is a ‘residency life time’ opportunity.

Keep the questions coming.

T
RoadGlue
Hmm, yeah, I might come down. Cool!
LarryR
I am always up for learning something new. How much are you thinking per person? Would this be a 'how to rebuild' or how to convert to side shift...

I have a tail shifter I could bring down.

Are the side shifters that much better?
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif happy11.gif
McMark
Sure. Sounds cool!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(LarryR @ Dec 12 2007, 11:52 PM) *

I am always up for learning something new. How much are you thinking per person? Would this be a 'how to rebuild' or how to convert to side shift...

I have a tail shifter I could bring down.

Are the side shifters that much better?

Yes and yes. If you want to convert then the best time is during a rebuild. If you just want to convert, we can accommodate that too. Side shifters are better, inherently. If you want to stay stock and do tail shifter that is also possible. Price right now is up int he air depending on how many say they will show. A lot of people = low cost and visa versa. It will be no more than $300 a head at the most, but comments about the price are welcome if anyone thinks it unfair. I figure I usually charge $500 for labor for a rebuild, this way you would at least save $200 + shipping + I am bringing some cheap parts so you could get a tranny done for dirt cheap relatively. The cores are all side shift + 1 tail and are $200 each. I will have some synchro bands, teeth, and 2-5 sliders. Do not worry that I do not have 1st as after I am done with you you will easily be able to do 1st gear as it is the last thing you put on and is very straight forward.

Please keep the questions and comments coming biggrin.gif
roadster fan
I am definitely interested. I don't need a rebuild right now, but if I can find a good core locally I guess I would have a rebuilt ready to go spare on hand. Hmmm, i could get a side shifter and convert when the tailshifter goes down......

Keep us posted on price, and which date you choose.

Thanks,

Jim
Dr Evil
The dates all depend on you guys. I am off only from 2-6 and have to be in class and alert on the 7th (so 2-4 or 5th is good for me).
RoadGlue
I have two good boxes right now, so I don't need to do a rebuild. I'd love to just swing in to watch and learn though (if that's allowed).
Dr Evil
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 13 2007, 12:49 AM) *

I have two good boxes right now, so I don't need to do a rebuild. I'd love to just swing in to watch and learn though (if that's allowed).

I dont know how we are gonna work that. I have to do what is fair for those that would pay. I really hate to say no to anyone, but we will see. If I get 10 committed for $100 bucks/ea (if we can fit 10) then it would be more doable. At the very least, we will all have to meet up after one of the days and have a beer. There are a few of you the I have yet to meet. beerchug.gif beer3.gif

People are welcome to go in on a tranny together and split the cost!
Dr Evil
I was just thinking about this further and here is a deal:
$600 = tranny core shipped to you, the class helping you to rebuild it, any of the used good core parts that I have in my stash that it would need. Is that not a smoking deal? This is first come first served as I have limited supplies of trannies and parts. All that you would need to get extra is; 1st gear synchro teeth, 1st gear slider, and a seal kit (I always recommend getting a new synchro band for 1st since it is hit the hardest). These parts are available for the ridiculously low price of $525 from Auto Atlanta. I can not beat those prices so I defer to them. Maybe George will make a group buy discount if you all band together. If you dont buy the set up from AA I will add a seal kit to the package.

For other parts you thin you may need, contact me first as I have a direct supplier and may be able to get you stuff at a discount. You will all need a seal kit idea.gif
LarryR
Heres a question for you... Have you thought about coming up with a side shifter conversion for the 915?
Dr Evil
I have plans for a very inexpensive cable shifter for the 901 that I do not have time to produce, the 915 is a different story. The Wevo kit is the best that there is and that is why it costs you your first born. I do have some rough ideas on the drawing board, but I do not have the free time to explore them further. Most likely it will be a few years (like 4) before I get that kind of time. Most likely it will be cable first as that makes it a bit easier and I can base it off of the same technology I am using in the 901 cable shifter design. It is so simple I expect many to be amazed.
scrz914
I'm intrigued as well.
I have a tailshifter I would like to convert to a sideshifter.

So, $300 pays for Dr. Evil's tutaledge? How much more would the parts add up to if you're doing a rebuild?
What if we pay the $300 but aren't able to do the rebuild there because of a shortage of parts (assuming an overwhelming turnout)?
What if we pay the $300, get into our tranny and find it's beyond repair?

Can we be guaranteed a rebuilt tranny when we leave?

All in all, seems like a good oppurtunity.

Roadster Fan, If I don't go this route, I would have a core tailshifter to sell you.

Dr Evil
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Dec 13 2007, 01:20 AM) *

I'm intrigued as well.
I have a tailshifter I would like to convert to a sideshifter.

So, $300 pays for Dr. Evil's tutaledge? How much more would the parts add up to if you're doing a rebuild?
What if we pay the $300 but aren't able to do the rebuild there because of a shortage of parts (assuming an overwhelming turnout)?
What if we pay the $300, get into our tranny and find it's beyond repair?

Can we be guaranteed a rebuilt tranny when we leave?

All in all, seems like a good oppurtunity.

Roadster Fan, If I don't go this route, I would have a core tailshifter to sell you.

Good questions!

There should be no shortage of parts if the price is $300. At 10 people there may be, but I doubt it.

Here is the deal: When you rebuild the tranny you usually have 4th and 5th teeth and bands that are in great shape as these get beat on less due to their gearing. 3rd is often fine as well and I tend to swap 3rd and 5th. This = 3 perfectly fine gears that will last a long time. The 4-5 slider hardly ever wears out, but I have plenty of replacements. The 2-3 slider sometimes wears out on the 2nd gear side if the tranny was previously assembled and not adjusted correctly. Again, no prob. So we are left with you needing 2nd teeth and synchro. Easy enough. The only common thing that would cause me to advise you just to get another tranny is if your pinion shaft is galled. This is a PITA and time consumer that would not be worth it to fix as the cost in time is prohibitive. I cant help it if your tranny turns out to be shit once I get there, but I can help you figure that out right now biggrin.gif Go to my rebuild link in my signature and see how to pull the stack. Once the stack is pulled then you can inspect the pinion and know if you need to source a new core.

If you check your tranny out, and it is not galled then you will have a rebuilt tranny LESS 1st gear as stated, unless you bring the parts. If you have a good core and 1st gear parts + seal kit I will have the rest and you will have a rebuilt tranny.

How much more for parts? Dog teeth are about $140 new, I may be able to get them for less should anyone want (like $135), but the used ones I have are $50. The used sliders for this affair will be $50 (new is $200 or so), and the synchro bands are $20 (new is $66). If you want, you can pre order new synchro bands (I really recommend only ordering 2 or 3 as 4-5 hardly ever need it).

If there is some unforeseen occurrence (like your differential bearings are toast which has only happened once in over 100 rebuilds ( dry.gif ) then I will work with you to get things taken care of with out any further incurred cost other than parts. I will back up what is rebuilt at the lecture! I will be doing Q/A on all of them. If one has an issue in the future and it is due to the rebuild then I will fix it at no charge. I will give tips on installation as this is where the user can booger up a good tranny (again, only happened once).

How does all that sound? Please keep the questions coming. idea.gif
Chris Pincetich
SO can I bring a tailshift transaxle, remove the core, change gear ratio + worn bits, pay you some bills, then re-install that gear set into a sideshift case that I also have at home? w00t.gif
I think I may need some used gears to make MSX...If I decided to do this I will be searching for all those gear threads. If I can't make it to the re-build-along then hopefully I could cruise the 914 down during lunch break beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Sure. The trannies will be completely torn apart so swapping gears will be no issue. I may even have an MSX set in my 912 tranny. I will have to see what price is right for them. If you want, you can even drop your tranny off and have it rebuilt on the spot (for a few more $$ biggrin.gif ). BTW, the tailshift and side shift cases are identical wink.gif You could more easily take the side and tail to me and have me convert it for ya if you wont be there. Otherwise, you can do it at the same time with hardly any extra effort.
Dr Evil
Dont worry East coast people! We can do the same deal over here....it 0500, I'm going to sleep
Gint
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 13 2007, 03:03 AM) *

Dont worry East coast people! We can do the same deal over here....it 0500, I'm going to sleep
That's when I get up. laugh.gif
plas76targa
Zach, Jim, Root, Jim Kelly, Chris, we'd better watch this post! He get's many more people we may have to pony up the $$ to bring his a$$ back here!

Mike - you know I'll offer my garage for any similar event here on the East side
jd74914
Hmm. I might trek down south for such deal. smile.gif
scrz914
Dr. Evil, thanks for answering my questions.
One more:

What parts would I need for a tailshift to sideshift conversion? Would you have these parts?

Thanks.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Dec 13 2007, 01:09 PM) *

Dr. Evil, thanks for answering my questions.
One more:

What parts would I need for a tail shift to side shift conversion? Would you have these parts?

Thanks.

All you need are:
- Shift rods and forks
- Shift console
- Tail cone (not necessary, but aesthetically better looking as you dont have the tail shift part dangling loose)

I currently have a set of these parts, but supplies are limited.
Dont forget, you will need external bits to install and use the side shifter:
-Shift linkage from the shifter all the way back to the tranny.
-Side shift engine bar
Dr Evil
So far I have one person that will commit that contacted me via PM. Any others? Trevor, when do we have to get the tickets by?

Are there any concerns what so ever about this event? Please voice any and all complements and concerns so they may be addressed.
Jenny
I have a rebuilt tranny (Done by B about 2 years ago) Smooth shifting now, but it's never quite stopped leaking. B says he knows which seal needs replacing, but doesn't ever seem to have the time to look at it for me. End result is it sits in my garage slowly leaking vulcan blood. So.. I don't need a rebuilt or a conversion, but could definately use some tranny advice and help. Not sure where that falls in with regards to your tranny clinic...

Jen
Dr Evil
I am always available via here, PM, email for tranny advise. I get emails with questions frequently and help folks fix their problems. Yours should be a simple fix and you could do it yourself. If I am able to come out we can tackle it no prob, no charge. Thats simple. Where is it leaking from? I have the seal most likely unless it is the speedo drive. Those seals are easy to get.
Dr Evil
Is it the cost that is stopping many of you from committing? How many would show up for sure if cost was not a factor? Help me help you piratenanner.gif
TedK
I would welcome the opportunity, but I can't pull my tranny that soon. Also, can a six be converted to side shift? Would like to keep the original tranny with 911 part # if thats possible.

TedK
Dr Evil
Yes, a /6 tranny can be converted the same as a/4, but you would not need the engine bar afterwards smile.gif
TedK
Cool. As stated, the event is a little too soon for me. Now, if this was in late February I would be a yes.

Cheers
Ted K
Dr Evil
Ya, it appears that this is short notice for many, which is understandable. It was a crazy idea that Trevor had and I was down for it. We are gonna let this thread ride for a bit longer to see if any interest is generated. If not we can reschedule. I need input either way from all interested parties.
scrz914
I'll commit if you are able to bring parts for a tailshift to side shift conversion as well.

Shift Rods and Forks
Shift Console
Nosecone

My thinking is, rebuild my tailshifter and convert. Wait for my funds to renew, then do 1st and reverse. Then stick it in my '73. Pull my orginal tranny and rebuild it when I can (hopefully remembering the rebuild process).

Tony
LarryR
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 13 2007, 05:18 PM) *

Ya, it appears that this is short notice for many, which is understandable. It was a crazy idea that Trevor had and I was down for it. We are gonna let this thread ride for a bit longer to see if any interest is generated. If not we can reschedule. I need input either way from all interested parties.

I'll commit and my friend wants to know if he can bring his 915 ... if not he might pull his 69 911 trans and come.
Dr Evil
Well thats what I am talking about! that makes 3 (I have a PM customer) @ $300 each which is totally doable. The 915 would be kind of a distraction for me, I would rather not. Maybe we can do some little things on the side after the formal class, but we would have to play it by ear. Tony, I have those parts. PM me and we can talk price for them and I can get them out to you before hand so you have them ready.
biggrin.gif
jesiv
I think this is a great idea! But, right now rebuilding my transmission is not high my priority list. However, a unique learning experience with the opportunity to observe and possibly help would be of great value. I live in RWC and would love the attend if you offer something like this.
Dr Evil
Maybe I should do a lower price for those just wanting to attend and take notes? What do the two committed parties think about that? I want to get as many people there as possible and not just for the revenue smile.gif
banger
I would be interested in coming, if you get enough to make the $100 price. I could also bring some side shift engine mounts if anyone is in need of them.
Dr Evil
Flight plans are in the works! piratenanner.gif I can bee there and ready by the 3rd and need to be done by the 5th so I can leave on the 6th. Hows that sound to ya'll? this is gonna be fricken awesome!
Dr Evil
Tony, Larry, you guys are the two who have committed publicly (I'll ask the one PM candidate late), how would you feel about people just attending with no transmission for free? You guys are paying and will get your trannies done, the rest would be taking notes and observing. Does this sound fair to you? I am cool with it if you guys and any perspective rebuilders are.
LarryR
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 13 2007, 07:20 PM) *

Tony, Larry, you guys are the two who have committed publicly (I'll ask the one PM candidate late), how would you feel about people just attending with no transmission for free? You guys are paying and will get your trannies done, the rest would be taking notes and observing. Does this sound fair to you? I am cool with it if you guys and any perspective rebuilders are.

Fine by me.

Also, I would like to buy the side shifter parts from you too as well as 912 gears. This trans is going to go into my track car... so the shorter the better.

I was wondering how much for those parts from you... Do you want us to paypal the $ to you or pay on arrival.

Larry
Dr Evil
You da man! No money yet. Once the flight is confirmed we can discuss that. Right now it is looking like I will be there at about 1930 on the 3rd and be leaving 1155 on the 6th. I am going to get home at 2250 and then drive for 2 hours and then have class at 0700 in the morning, but you guys are worth it biggrin.gif

I will consider the 912 gears yours and will look into a price for them. I will see if I have another set of side shifter bits. I may be able to scrounge some if I dont have them in my stash. I'll get ya'll prices on those too. PM me for prices and payment for parts.
scrz914
Observers are fine with me. If it works out, they can even help me wrench.
Dr Evil
Sweet. I am booked and definitely coming! times listed previously.

Observers are welcome and free so please do come and let me know if you plan on it! Mark, Jenny, RoadGlue, banger C'mon!
Trevorg7
Big thank you to Mike for putting up with my insane ideas and making this happen. I will modify the first post with the times/dates and location.

Please keep the questions coming. The more participants the better...remember I've got a keg full of Longboard Lager if Dr. Evil is not a big enough draw.

T
Dr Evil
Draw like a shorted circuit!

Hey, could you put in the first post that observers are welcome and that they can drop off trannies, too. I cant believe I am doing this screwy.gif happy11.gif
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 13 2007, 08:43 PM) *

Draw like a shorted circuit!

Hey, could you put in the first post that observers are welcome and that they can drop off trannies, too. I cant believe I am doing this screwy.gif happy11.gif

Done!

T
Jenny
I'm starting school on the 2nd, but class only goes until 11:40 M-F. So I should be free to come observe and hang out in the afternoon and on Saturday. Meanwhile, I'll try to figure out which seal it is I need to replace.

Thanks Trevor for hosting! Looking forward to swapping more than 2 words with you (like we did at SJ auto show) And I'm can't wait to see Dr. Evil operate as well. Mighty nice of him to take time to come visit us out here. smile.gif

-Jen
Chris Pincetich
Beer too!
I didn't drink a single beer at the last 914 gathering so i am thirsty beerchug.gif
Count me in right now, and whether or not I bring my extra trans kinda depends on if I can figure out a cool and economical AX close-ratio swap.

OK - studied the old threads - Thanks Aaron beerchug.gif

A-F-flipped ZD-flipped V-ZD

That combo would mean I need an extra 5th gear set, ZD. So Dr., know anybody that has tried this gear combo? Too big a 4->5 jump?

I have a 1.7 that I keep at 4-6k rpm during a race. 13 lb flywheel and 911 clutch disc.

Any advice is appreciated. beerchug.gif
euro911
I've always been scared to dig into a transmission and really would like to understand them better.

This sounds like a pretty nifty tech session, but unfortunately a little too far north for me.

idea.gif Hey, somebody could video tape the event and then post it on 'You Tube' ...

with a title like "Dr. Evil's Tranny Surgery" poke.gif

... well, maybe thats not such a good title after all confused24.gif

laugh.gif
Dr Evil
NO video, I hate being on video....it steals my soul! biggrin.gif I'll bring my guitar and ya'll can video me playing drunk biggrin.gif

Chris, asking someone to advise you on gearing would be like asking me to try on a pair of pants and tell you how they will fit you. Its kind of hard. The best thing to do is to ask one who has driven that set up and see how they liked it. Also, after this session you will be fearless in changing your gears so if you dont like it you can swap a different set in. I have spare ZD sets if you need for cheap. PM if you want 'em.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.