Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr. Evil Does The West Coast (now with a review)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Eric_Shea
Gee... was it raining there? confused24.gif

Send it on over - We'll ski on it! w00t.gif

(Alta's in our back yard... Alta's in our back yard... Alta's in our back yard... Alta's in our back yard...) tongue.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
McMark
Dang, I totally BLANKED on this until just now. Crap. mad.gif
Jenny
Hmmm.... I keep getting a busy signal when I try Trevor's cell phone.

Jen
Trevorg7
Things are moving along but I am in need of the back end of the side shift shift linkage. Anyone around close have one?

Let me know.

T
jimtab
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 5 2008, 10:51 AM) *

Gee... was it raining there? confused24.gif

Send it on over - We'll ski on it! w00t.gif

(Alta's in our back yard... Alta's in our back yard... Alta's in our back yard... Alta's in our back yard...) tongue.gif

Oh...Were sending IT....Brace yourself Bridgit.........the storm blew up my rubbermaid shed and blew one of the 8' sections of my deck rail/wind screen apart...sheared off two 4x4s....impressive...one gust at 109mph that we know of....
jesiv
Dr Evil and Trevor great idea. Here are some assorted pictures...

Here is a virtual tour link to some pictures. http://view.800hometours.com/100-1202

Nice to meet all of you.

Regards,

James
echocanyons
What an excellent (and soggy) opportunity!

I am once again amazed the the 914 owner community they are all great people beer.gif

Thanks again Dr. Evil and Trevor!

914Mike
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Jan 5 2008, 04:52 PM) *

Things are moving along but I am in need of the back end of the side shift shift linkage. Anyone around close have one?

Let me know.

T

beerchug.gif That was fun!

On the rear shift linkage: I don't have a spare handy, but you're welcome to use the one from my '71 while the engine is out, parts have been back-ordered, so it may be a while till I need it.

The closest one I have is in Angwin in a car that needs to be converted from tail shift. Another long-term project... welder.gif (The 1.7 ran, needs a battery tray and paint.)
KevinM
What a great event! Thanks to everyone for being so friendly and welcoming. Dr. Evil definately knows what he's doing and also likes to share his knowledge. I think as a group we got a total of at least seven (?) transmissions rebuilt in two days. Personally, I learned a ton. Also, special thanks to Trevor and his family for putting up with everyone and letting us take over their garage and for just being so hospitable in general. Kevin
Trevorg7
What a great time. Dr. Evil certainly knows his stuff and is great to hang with. Thank you to him and everyone for making this a great event. Indeed seven transmissions were broken down and rebuilt.

T

Trevorg7
Long Distance Award to Tim from Oregon

IPB Image

Trevorg7
Bill aka Boarderline
IPB Image

Rob, I can't breath because Mike let one go, Ways
IPB Image

57 MPH winds and tons of rain
IPB Image

Dr. Evil holding court
IPB Image

Mike and TimIPB Image

More work...
IPB Image

Rob WaysIPB Image

Working
IPB Image
Trevorg7
My son Hogan showing Dr. Evil the ropes

IPB Image
Trevorg7
Now that I am awake and no longer drunk here are a few more thoughts about the event. If you are going to do this in the future....

1. Have tons of rags and towels. This job is very messy and the gear oil gets everywhere.

2. Set up a decent area to drain the trannys

3. Space! It didn't help us that we had the worst weather (for California) in 30 years but a 1/2 of a garage for 10-12 guys and 7 transmissions is pretty tight.

4. Tools. I have an okay set of tools but Dr. Evil needs some specific stuff; 1/2 inch breaker bars, jigs, lots of rubber mallets, lots of 13 and 14 sockets, deep 30 socket, tourch, a couple of vices, etc. Dr. Evil can add to this I am sure but my 'tv repair man' set of tools didn't cut it.

5. 10-12 hours. Set aside parts of two days to get this done if done in a clinic format.

6. Clean, clean clean. One of the most painstaking thing was cleaning - I am an expert as Mike can attest av-943.gif Clean what you can before you come to the clinic and have good drip trays at each work station to clean parts.

I am sure I'll think of more information to pass on after I am not so hung over.

Thank you again to all the participants and observers. And especially Mike for coming out and putting this on. aktion035.gif

T
SGB
7 transmissions!
smile.gif

Great. Thats the way Herr Doktor!
Your gonna end up running a free clinic somewhere (real docterin') with this kinda attitude. I'll bet it was the most fun that could be had while rebuilding a transmission.
Great for hosting Trevor, and taking and posting pics. Great seeing everyone (including the kids) involved! Of course, thanks for orchestrating it all, Mike. It looked like a good time from this side of the country. Yep, 914 people are just weird.
Chris Pincetich
I was surprised and pleased with the weekend - surprised and pleased at how often I got to use my hammer smash.gif
Our gears were in good hands with Dr. Evil in the house. Trevor and family deserve thanks again for hosting! I really enjoyed meeting all the new folks, talking race stories with Rob and Bill, getting and giving help, and of course, the beer beerchug.gif
For those absent, here's what I remember as a typical conversation:
Lost wrencher "Hey Dr. Evil, where does this thing go?"
Dr. Evil "Why don't you bend over and I'll show you."
smile.gif
It'll be 2-3 more days until I get back to work on 914 stuff. My ride to Kirkwood is heading here now. We should have 8-10 FEET of powder to play in for the next 2 days. WHEEEEEEEEE
beerchug.gif
smokey
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 6 2008, 05:33 PM) *

I was surprised and pleased with the weekend - surprised and pleased at how often I got to use my hammer smash.gif
Our gears were in good hands with Dr. Evil in the house. Trevor and family deserve thanks again for hosting! I really enjoyed meeting all the new folks, talking race stories with Rob and Bill, getting and giving help, and of course, the beer beerchug.gif
For those absent, here's what I remember as a typical conversation:
Lost wrencher "Hey Dr. Evil, where does this thing go?"
Dr. Evil "Why don't you bend over and I'll show you."
smile.gif
It'll be 2-3 more days until I get back to work on 914 stuff. My ride to Kirkwood is heading here now. We should have 8-10 FEET of powder to play in for the next 2 days. WHEEEEEEEEE
beerchug.gif

Hey
chris . Got your call . YE HEEEEE . be safe . This is what is called LANCH CON 1 . If u Have been in snow u know what i am talking about . YEH it slides . When it is deep Like this . It is a real bitch to ride . U will be swimming . Here is a tip . Point it down . and Do Not turn Till u have so much speed u can recover if u goof on some thing . BE carfull . Coll give me ac call when u get back . I Have some chitt that needs to do with my 6 prrodject . Peace Rick smoke.gif
Dr Evil
What a trip! As far as my life goes, this was an epic undertaking that generated memories and friendships that I will cherish until my brain unit goes on the fritz. smile.gif

7 - trannies, at least 10 people in the garage at a time, 2 tail to side conversions, one box changed to a 4 speed with locked out 1st and F, N, flipped N, flipped H gearing to mimic a 930 for a 3.2, one box re-geared for shorter shifts by Chris. Also, the almost complete conversion of Trevor's car to side shift....it would have been a COMPLETE conversion if I would have shipped the right shift bar (duh).

I got back into Baltimore at 11:15PM and was home asleep by 3am....and had to get up to be in class (where I am now) by 8am....I iwll post more comments at a later date...I need sleep.

I do want to say that I feel very lucky to have been able to have done this and it would not have been possible if it were not for Trevor and his freakin awesome family. It was his idea, generosity and his family that enabled this to happen. I have made some new friends through this and that is priceless smile.gif
Rubber Boa
What a great time I had in San Jose, All that I had expected and more. Lot of knowledge and bad gas in a small area. I would do this again in a heart beat, and get to test myself working of a couple of tranny's in my herd.

Great Job Dr. Evil and Trevor's wife for putting up with the heathens.

Boa
914Mike
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Jan 6 2008, 08:14 AM) *

4. Tools. I have an okay set of tools but Dr. Evil needs some specific stuff; 1/2 inch breaker bars, jigs, lots of rubber mallets, lots of 13 and 14 sockets, deep 30 socket, torch, a couple of vices, etc. Dr. Evil can add to this I am sure but my 'tv repair man' set of tools didn't cut it.

T

It seemed to me that Dr. Evil has plenty of vices already. beer.gif drunk.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif

Oh, you mean that little vise you put on your bench, yeah, a few more of those would have been great, I just waited till it was free to knock the teeth off my gears, I didn't wait long... smash.gif
Trevorg7
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 5 2008, 01:09 PM) *

Dang, I totally BLANKED on this until just now. Crap. mad.gif

No worries Mark. Would have been tough sledding on the drive down anyway.

QUOTE(Jenny @ Jan 5 2008, 04:26 PM) *

Hmmm.... I keep getting a busy signal when I try Trevor's cell phone.

Jen

Jenny, good to see you and Brian. We enjoyed the cornbread too.

T
Trevorg7
Okay, I might be the first, from the clinic, to install and drive my Dr. Evil rebuilt transmission and Oh My Gawd it is amazing!

I did a complete Tail to Side shift conversion which included motor mount bar, mounts (inner/outer), tail cone, shift linkage, shifter and internals. We put in a new 1st gear and 1st gear slider (really Mike did it, I watched and learned).

I finally got it buttoned up this afternoon and went for a drive down Mckean, though some twisties, and was grinning the entire way. Not only is the sideshift more positive but each gear selected easily, without grinding, and reverse was smooth as butter. Up and down the gearbox was a dream. No more 4th/5th gear whine either!

Dr. Evil is the man. He certainly knows what he is doing and he can produce a great shifting transmission.

Now for more driving.gif

T
SGB
Yep.
The reason I've been watching this thread is that Herr Doktor rebuilt my gearstack about a year ago and it was like a transformation. I could DRIVE the car. No more wincing crunches through the cogs. No more stares when I have to (OMG) put it in reverse. Yep. all a fading memory now. Turned my go cart into a real shifter cart.
Jenny
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Jan 7 2008, 06:19 PM) *

Jenny, good to see you and Brian. We enjoyed the cornbread too.

T

I'm glad we had a chance to stop by and say hi to everyone. Thanks for the yummy beer. beer3.gif It was good to see both Mike and Rob again, and to meet some other fellow world members. Thanks for hosting, Trevor. Beautiful family and LOVE your dog!

Jen
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Jan 8 2008, 08:09 PM) *

Okay, I might be the first, from the clinic, to install and drive my Dr. Evil rebuilt transmission and Oh My Gawd it is amazing!

I did a complete Tail to Side shift conversion which included motor mount bar, mounts (inner/outer), tail cone, shift linkage, shifter and internals. We put in a new 1st gear and 1st gear slider (really Mike did it, I watched and learned).

I finally got it buttoned up this afternoon and went for a drive down Mckean, though some twisties, and was grinning the entire way. Not only is the sideshift more positive but each gear selected easily, without grinding, and reverse was smooth as butter. Up and down the gearbox was a dream. No more 4th/5th gear whine either!

Dr. Evil is the man. He certainly knows what he is doing and he can produce a great shifting transmission.

Now for more driving.gif

T

piratenanner.gif drunk.gif Thats what I'm saying thumb3d.gif
orange914
IGNORANT QUESTION 101:

looking at the ratios of the stock gearing, theRE are basically (2) OVERDRIVE GEARS, both 4th and 5th are over 1:1... no??? i've never seen a flow chart type drawing but the 4th gear couldn't be straight thru 1:1 design like your typical 4 or 5 sp. o.d. did porsche design it so the gear ratios/set ups could be so "versital"?

wacko.gif

mike
Borderline
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jan 9 2008, 06:17 PM) *

IGNORANT QUESTION 101:

looking at the ratios of the stock gearing, theRE are basically (2) OVERDRIVE GEARS, both 4th and 5th are over 1:1... no??? i've never seen a flow chart type drawing but the 4th gear couldn't be straight thru 1:1 design like your typical 4 or 5 sp. o.d. did porsche design it so the gear ratios/set ups could be so "versital"?

wacko.gif

mike

Mike, there is no "straight thru" on the transaxle. The input shaft goes over the top of the axle and into the gearbox portion. There are 5 sets of gears to drive the pinion shaft. No matter which gear you are in, the power is always transmitted thru a gear set. After spending a whole day watching the doctor, I know that much. It seems to be a very versatile design.
orange914
QUOTE(Borderline @ Jan 10 2008, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jan 9 2008, 06:17 PM) *

IGNORANT QUESTION 101:

wacko.gif

mike

Mike, there is no "straight thru" on the transaxle. The input shaft goes over the top of the axle and into the gearbox portion. There are 5 sets of gears to drive the pinion shaft. No matter which gear you are in, the power is always transmitted thru a gear set. After spending a whole day watching the doctor, I know that much. It seems to be a very versatile design.

that makes sense. so are all 901 tail and side shift trans equipt with the same gear sets?

i ask because i have a spare tail shifter and wonder if i should really should hang onto for future use.

mike
Chris Pincetich
I learned from the Dr. how about 1 hr of hammering out parts from the old tailshift core can result in hundreds of dollars in great parts for a sideshift re-fresh! Special tools are required, but after that it is simple. After grabbing the best stuff out of my old core, I now have a box of loose crappy bits smile.gif
Anyone need some random parts out a tailshifter? beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.