Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr. Evil Does The West Coast (now with a review)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 29 2007, 07:43 PM) *

Just kidding, it looks all there. We'll see when the session starts and I relize I forgot something.

To late. We have that other box of nuts/washers that was shiped here too; from the boltdepot.com ?? or someplace.

T
Dr Evil
Your kidding, right? I cant believe I had 100 in the baggie. I was going to order 100 more to cover late entries. The box from boltdepot has 100 of eash in it.
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 29 2007, 08:03 PM) *

Your kidding, right? I cant believe I had 100 in the baggie. I was going to order 100 more to cover late entries. The box from boltdepot has 100 of eash in it.

No joke, I actually counted 'em.

T
Dr Evil
Well, you just saved me some $$. Thats enough for 4 more trannies (25ea).
roadster fan
Hey Doc,

I might be in. I picked up a side shifter core last weekend, and am trying to get the time to get it cleaned up, get the gear stack out to check to make sure it is decent, and get a seal kit ordered. I should have some time tomorrow before work to get some of it apart after cleaning, I will let you know tomorrow afternoon.

If I can't get far enough I will still be there as a look-e-loo for sure, but would really like the benefit of your expertise during the rebuild. we will see.

Jim
Dr Evil
Right on, Jim. Either way it will be nice to have ya there. If you can t get to the box you can still bring it and if it turns out to be poo then you can watch smile.gif
echocanyons
What time are we starting the clinic?

I don't seem to remember reading it.
Trevorg7
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Dec 31 2007, 01:08 PM) *

What time are we starting the clinic?

I don't seem to remember reading it.

I will confer with Dr. Evil and post times on the first post. All the other details should be or will be on the first post.

Any other questions let me know.

T
914Mike
My version of the shiftrod adjustment jig, used instead of the plastic plate, you can bolt on a side-shift console and see how your adjustments are working! piratenanner.gifClick to view attachment
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 29 2007, 06:56 PM) *

I put a quarter size hole in the box I sent... just for $hits and giggles. wink.gif

And... I play real guitar. I dance like Slits (when he's drunk) but, I play guitar.

Eric - I got the package with the seals thumb3d.gif

Thanks!

T
Jenny
Mike, I'm in a bit of a pickle. (well, not really, but I like to quote Flanders whenever possible)

My shift console seal was leaking. Brad removed the part and took it with him (the replacement seal he had was rusted out, so he was gonna replace it with a new one), so now it's in SD. He was planning on driving up and putting it back together on Wed or Thur, but now it looks like he's not plan on coming back for over a week. So it kind of makes it hard for me to drive my *completed* car to the tech session, and it also makes it hard for me to drive my leaky car to the tech session for you to help me with it. Car's on jack stands without a shift console. So I probably won't be able to make it. Pretty bummed. My hands (and tranny) are kind of tied.

Is this a quick fix that I can get the part from you on Friday, slap it back together friday night, and come hang out with teeners on Saturday?

Jen
Dr Evil
Which seal is it? Is it the one that goes on the shaft in the console? If so I have a spare and can change it in 30min or less. No worries. smile.gif Also, I can bring a spare or I know some others may have spares.

Tick-tock, I'm getting excited now that my test is done, I've had time to get drunk and wake up biggrin.gif
Trevorg7
I am adding the start times to the first post, for ease of use, but they will be noon on Friday and 9am on Saturday. No official stop time...only when we're done. The weather is looking bad (for California); Rain Thursday throught Monday.

I'll be picking up the doctor tomorrow night!

T
Dr Evil
Mexican foood! I need a taco shop....
Chris Pincetich
Dude, this gear stack stuff is easy biggrin.gif
Way less work than I anticipated!
I've got my recently rebuilt sideshift case+ still in the car with the gear stack removed and boxed up for transport. The rear seal remains intact and perfect, I can't bring it to show and tell but I may not need to replace it (comments?). This will be my "master gear stack" to get a new ratio.
Also visible is my tailshift core with gear stack loose and cleaning in progress. I plan to throw it all in the back of the Suby wagon so I will have the entire core to strip parts from if needed. This shifted REALLY good into first gear while rolling, so I could be persuaded into selling 1st gear parts to attendees or to the good Dr. for class $$$ credit. I'm a CSOB 914 racer/cruiser and it would help to re-coup some costs beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
914Mike
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 2 2008, 09:58 AM) *

Mexican foood! I need a taco shop....

La Milpa

107 N Milpitas Blvd
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 945-6540

Not sure if they do tacos, but the relleno's are great, along with everything else on the menu. Warning: The mole enchilada may be a bit TOO authentic for your tastes, it is for me. Take out too... drooley.gif
Dr Evil
I love Mole! I wish someone could bring me a burrito from my favorite place in Alameda sad.gif I havent had taco shop food since I moved here. Mmmm, deep fried everything chowtime.gif

Chris,
are you planing to attend the clinic as a watcher or as a participant? Unfortunately I wont need your 1st gear bits as I shipped a bunch of that stuff to Trevor's already. I am also bringing parts with me. You can always bring the extras and undercut my pricing, though.
Chris Pincetich
Dr. - PM headed your way later today with more details...
Basically, with the potential for an epic powder weekend in Tahoe I am reluctant to commit. Right now, a day trip to the snow on Sunday is looking best because I don't want to battle closed roads and blizzards. I'll be there Friday with all my parts and then some beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Tranquility base, this is Evil, we have pod separation happy11.gif
Trevorg7
Roger that Dr. Evil.

Prepair for equipement use 737-700, WN 145, heading 260, 33,000 ft.
grantsfo
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 2 2008, 02:20 PM) *

Dr. - PM headed your way later today with more details...
Basically, with the potential for an epic powder weekend in Tahoe I am reluctant to commit. Right now, a day trip to the snow on Sunday is looking best because I don't want to battle closed roads and blizzards. I'll be there Friday with all my parts and then some beerchug.gif

Man! Forecasts of 10 feet at Tahoe by Sunday! That is definitely epic stuff.
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 3 2008, 07:10 AM) *

Tranquility base, this is Evil, we have pod separation happy11.gif

The Dr. Evil has landed! And drinking a beer here on the couch!

More to come...

T
Jenny
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Jan 3 2008, 08:36 PM) *

More to come...

T

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Jen
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jan 3 2008, 11:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Jan 3 2008, 08:36 PM) *

More to come...

T

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Jen

Sorry no authorized pictures at this point drunk.gif

T
SGB
We will be awaiting full photographic verification of this frightning assemblage of individuals and machinery at regular intervals.

Better get started now.
smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
I am planning to stop by for a bit late morning Trev...I am going to try to pull my 1st/rev gear in the morning before coming down...smile.gif
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 4 2008, 08:35 AM) *

I am planning to stop by for a bit late morning Trev...I am going to try to pull my 1st/rev gear in the morning before coming down...smile.gif

Sounds good Jeff. I have your wiper unit too. We are just getting things together but still need to run to the store for a few things. We'll be ready by noon. If you think you will be here prior to that let me know.

T
Trevorg7
Added my cell number to the first post if there are questions.

T
scrz914
Doesn't look like I'll make it. Trees are down because of the storm. Highway 17 is closed.
Mike, I'll try to make it tomorrow. If not, let's talk and see what we can do.

JeffBowlsby
I can delay coming down until early afternoon...more time to pull the 1st gear so the Evil-one can look it over for me and give a prognosis...
Trevorg7
9 guys here, most wrenching. piratenanner.gif

T
Jenny
Forget building the transmission--- who's building the ark?? scuba.gif

Jen
914Mike
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Jan 4 2008, 01:25 PM) *

9 guys here, most wrenching. piratenanner.gif

T

I'm still waiting for my son to finish his homework... dry.gif But should be there soon.
Jenny
I'll be at my cousin's first birthday party on the other side of Almaden and Trinidad tomorrow about noon, so I should be able to swing by in the early afternoon.

Have fun, stay dry and away from falling branches.

Jen
scrz914
I'm bummed. I have everything loaded in my car ready to go but can't get out of Santa Cruz because of the storm.
Trevor, tried calling your cell but just get a busy signal.
Trevorg7
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Jan 4 2008, 01:41 PM) *

I'm bummed. I have everything loaded in my car ready to go but can't get out of Santa Cruz because of the storm.
Trevor, tried calling your cell but just get a busy signal.

Odd, maybe towers are down. I told Mike you were stuck in SC and he said he will work with you to get your stuff done...one way or another.

T
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jan 4 2008, 01:41 PM) *

I'll be at my cousin's first birthday party on the other side of Almaden and Trinidad tomorrow about noon, so I should be able to swing by in the early afternoon.

Have fun, stay dry and away from falling branches.

Jen

Sounds like you have looked it up on a map so you know we're right there.

Hope to see you.

T
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jan 4 2008, 01:29 PM) *

Jen

No Doubt. Mike and I drank to much beer last night didn't finish my car. So its stuck in the garage. We've got nine guys in the other half of the garage since its blowing 40mph and raining like crazy.

Cramped.

T
jesiv
This is totally awesome! It was nice to meet everyone and Dr. Evil you are the man! You know you are having fun when………. you have to pound metal with a hammer, drill out stripped bolts to salvage a part, wondering which core is worth rebuilding, finding out the part you have is NLA... fortunately the other core has a good used part, flying metal… or just optimizing the parts you have to achieve the best performance and having it explained and shown to you…

Totally Awesome!! Sorry to yell but it was great.

Regards,

James

914Mike
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Jan 4 2008, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Jenny @ Jan 4 2008, 01:29 PM) *

Jen

No Doubt. Mike and I drank to much beer last night didn't finish my car. So its stuck in the garage. We've got nine guys in the other half of the garage since its blowing 40mph and raining like crazy.

Cramped.

T

agree.gif With both... Felt like I was floating in places on the way down today. And it was like being in a crowded dance floor in the half-space. How much more does your tranny need to go back in?
Oh, I found that piece of tubing that fits exactly over the shift rod, how long does it need to be? The piece I have is about 1 3/8", hope it's enough. See ya tomorrow.
SGB
Whee!
Thanks for the updates. Stay on high ground!
Trevorg7
Okay, I have to say what a great time. Thank you to Dr. Evil - he is great at what he does. Thank you to all that came out in the 40+MPH winds and 9 inches of rain.

A lot got done today and we'll finish up tomorrow.

More to come; pics, etc.

T
roadster fan
uggggh. Power just came back on. Trees down everywhere. Sorry I missed it today with the highway closed over the hill. Sounds like you were packed in anyway.

Will try to make it tomorrow but will have to evaluate the damage around the house and how much clean up is gonna be needed. Where are all the pics?

Jim
EdwardBlume
beer.gif

So far so good with Dr. Evil and the transmission rebuild! What a great opportunity to learn and rebuild! All of us rebuilt our gear stacks yesterday under the Evil Eye TM and direction, and the Dr. really knows what he's doing. I highly recommend his work. You really need to know your way around or else you'll be rolling the ball of pain. Its not hard to take things apart, but assembly is a puzzling feat the first time.

Trevor and his family are very kind to let us use his garage. We were packed in there pretty tight but it didn't seem to matter because we were all working away. The 914 group there was awesome too.

Today is the finish reassembly of transmission with all the seals!

Great event! Great information! The Dr. is highly recommended. aktion035.gif
Trevorg7
I know I know thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

But my cable to download from the camera is in the office where the Good Doctor is sleeping. We work him to hard for me to wake him up. I'll post later.

T
Borderline
Thanks Trevor and Mike! It was a great learning experience. Hope I wasn't in the way too much. Had a great time with a great bunch of guys (for the most part).

OK, OK here are some photos.
Borderline
Why am I only getting one photo at a time?
Click to view attachment

(read them there photo FAQ's)
Borderline
well maybe not
Click to view attachment
Borderline
Click to view attachment
For those of you who don't know the Evil Doctor...he's the one in the yellow T-shirt biggrin.gif
Borderline
Trevor has a couple great kids. His daughter even cooked meatballs for us. thank you. Sorry, with so many people there and trying to concentrate on learning the tranny I don't have all the names brain overload, something that happens all to frequently.

Thank you Trevor and Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.