Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More quick questions, Piston ring sizing
BMXerror
post Jan 4 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,842

Well, how does the sizing standard for rings work? How do I know which size to get for my teener? Also, are the top and second rings exactly the same, or is there some 'invisible' difference between the two? Thanks.
Mark D.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Jan 5 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,842

Okay, when I wrote that original post, I was REALLY tired, so it probably doesn't make any sense. What I'm really asking is; when you go to order rings, they give you four numbers, like 90 x 2 x 2 x 5. 90 is obviously the cylinder bore, but what do the other three stand for. I'm guessing one is ring height and one is ring thickness (Inward towards the center of the piston), but I don't really know for sure. Please, help. Thanks.
Mark D.
P.S. Before you say so, I have searched on the internet for the answer before asking for help. I haven't been successful, even on one website call the 'Ring Museum', I didn't find my answer.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jan 22 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #3

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jan 5 2008, 10:01 AM) *

Okay, when I wrote that original post, I was REALLY tired, so it probably doesn't make any sense. What I'm really asking is; when you go to order rings, they give you four numbers, like 90 x 2 x 2 x 5. 90 is obviously the cylinder bore, but what do the other three stand for. I'm guessing one is ring height and one is ring thickness (Inward towards the center of the piston), but I don't really know for sure. Please, help. Thanks.
Mark D.
P.S. Before you say so, I have searched on the internet for the answer before asking for help. I haven't been successful, even on one website call the 'Ring Museum', I didn't find my answer.

i just went through this... arrrgh..., what pistons do you have?

90 would be bore
2 top ring thickness
2 second ring
5.90 oil ring

from what i found there were 2 ring sets for 96mm (i'm no final athority here!)
96x1.5x2x6 & 96x2x2x6
the limited research i did i read the thinner rings gave less drag but not as durable

hope this helps

mike
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jan 22 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #4

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

The thinner rings are for pistons with narrower grooves. Use a thin ring in a wide-groove piston, and the few miles you get before the ring breaks and tears up the piston and the cylinder won't be worth the time it took you do do the job. Again.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:08 PM